Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Its interesting with Cousins.....
Quote: @greediron said:
Will be interesting to see who is running the offense.  Likely the new head coach.  

Cousins had his bad games, usually against a team like Chicago that killed us up front.  So I am not sure if it was cousins or the offensive play calling when our line was getting its ass handed on a platter.  Even Brady has issues when the hits start piling up.
I think Cousins will remain the same. Inconsistent and capable of stringing together several series of 3 and outs, but also capable of driving down the field with great accuracy for explosive plays. Even Zimmer wanted him to be more aggressive and take more chances this season. 
Should the new regime stick with Cousins, it would behoove them to build the team from the trenches out.
The O-line is looking better and only needs a couple of upgrades to be pretty good.
And the defense will be the major challenge.

Quote: @jargomcfargo said:
@greediron said:
Will be interesting to see who is running the offense.  Likely the new head coach.  

Cousins had his bad games, usually against a team like Chicago that killed us up front.  So I am not sure if it was cousins or the offensive play calling when our line was getting its ass handed on a platter.  Even Brady has issues when the hits start piling up.
I think Cousins will remain the same. Inconsistent and capable of stringing together several series of 3 and outs, but also capable of driving down the field with great accuracy for explosive plays. Even Zimmer wanted him to be more aggressive and take more chances this season. 
Should the new regime stick with Cousins, it would behoove them to build the team from the trenches out.
The O-line is looking better and only needs a couple of upgrades to be pretty good.
I think KC is to cerebral about a game that relies heavily on instincts and reaction in the moment.  He knows everything there likely is to know about our offense and opposing defenses,  but he cant shut his brain off and just let his eyes take over,   instead of reading and reacting,  he seems to lock onto pre snap reads and when the defense does what its supposed to do... hes golden,  but when the add wrinkles or adjustments,  he cant come off that first read and quickly recognize where the open guy should be.  He is a smart dude that if given time will make that recognition,  but unfortunately his feet suck and he is a statue in the pocket which make it very difficult to block for him since he rarely forces the rush to adjust to where hes going.  ( although after watching him yesterday step up into a sack for no reason... well maybe its better if he doesnt try to much outside his comfort zone)

Quote: @jargomcfargo said:
@greediron said:

First question Wilfs should ask in GM interviews is what’s your plan at quarterback in the present, and in the future? The Vikings are beyond starved for a franchise, 15 year starting QB. Life in the NFL is soooo much easier when you have one.

If they want to stick with Kirk in the meantime I won’t love it but okay, so long as they’re actively trying to move on/find that blue chipper.

The Oline has been below average since 2010. 

Pass defense rule changes made in 2018 neutered  the effectiveness of  Zimmers defense

We ran a ridiculously simple and extremely predictable offense. Our playcalling was atrocious. A large majority of those short throws are to the primary receiver. So throwing short when you need 8 is the design of the offense we ran. It was unfricking believable. 
Cousins did best in the last two minutes because he was making or at least had some actual leeway on the calls. He’s the one that would then throw downfield. Zimmer did not believe in a player making calls, only coaches, the coaches know better. It was old sh hook and stupid. Put one of these modern offensive gurus with Cousins and he’ll light it up. No more 9 forms of the exact same f’ing screen play being run 11 plays a game. 
Cousins isn’t our problem and with the right hire, he’ll thrive. 

Kirk is a good NFL QB. In 63 games with the Vikings he's 33-29-1 averaging 260 yard per game with a 100+ QB rating. In 2021 he was top 10 in most metrics. This season alone, I think his narrative would have been different if he'd played with even an average defense. 

What Kirk isn't, is a guy who will carry your team and steal a game. He doesn't elevate the players around him. 

The trouble is that the Vikings need to make yet another decision on his future this off-season and he's won a single playoff game for $115M. It just doesn't add up. But who are you replacing him with? No rookie QB in this years draft class or FA option really moves the needle. So you're left with 3 options. 

1. Trade Kirk. I can say first-hand there will be more takers than people believe. If the Vikings pay some of his base salary in 2022 the return may be surprisingly strong.

2. You let him play out his 2022 contract at a $45M cap hit. This is less than ideal due to the cap hit and the fact Kirk can walk himself into FA after the season. Vikings can't franchise or transition tag him due to the cost. This also means he could strong arm his way to another beneficial deal. 

3. Extend Kirk now on a deal that'll average close to $40M annually. Its where the market is. The benefit is you'll be able to reduce the 2022 cap his. You'll come across this juncture again in the future unfortunately. 

For me it comes down to what type of deal Kirk would agree to. In the past he's emphasized fully guaranteed contracts with short term. This allows him to hit the market and achieve higher base salaries sooner. For the team this doesn't allow you to massage the cap hits as much. If Kirk would be willing to sign a 5 year contract for $40M annually I think you do that. You can then keep the cap hits low for 2-3 years vs. 1 and you're locked in. If he won't sign a deal that is more fair to the team, you probably need to trade him. 

whate u mean  surprisingly strong if they  pay  some of his  money

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
Kirk is a good NFL QB. In 63 games with the Vikings he's 33-29-1 averaging 260 yard per game with a 100+ QB rating. In 2021 he was top 10 in most metrics. This season alone, I think his narrative would have been different if he'd played with even an average defense. 

What Kirk isn't, is a guy who will carry your team and steal a game. He doesn't elevate the players around him. 

The trouble is that the Vikings need to make yet another decision on his future this off-season and he's won a single playoff game for $115M. It just doesn't add up. But who are you replacing him with? No rookie QB in this years draft class or FA option really moves the needle. So you're left with 3 options. 

1. Trade Kirk. I can say first-hand there will be more takers than people believe. If the Vikings pay some of his base salary in 2022 the return may be surprisingly strong.

2. You let him play out his 2022 contract at a $45M cap hit. This is less than ideal due to the cap hit and the fact Kirk can walk himself into FA after the season. Vikings can't franchise or transition tag him due to the cost. This also means he could strong arm his way to another beneficial deal. 

3. Extend Kirk now on a deal that'll average close to $40M annually. Its where the market is. The benefit is you'll be able to reduce the 2022 cap his. You'll come across this juncture again in the future unfortunately. 

For me it comes down to what type of deal Kirk would agree to. In the past he's emphasized fully guaranteed contracts with short term. This allows him to hit the market and achieve higher base salaries sooner. For the team this doesn't allow you to massage the cap hits as much. If Kirk would be willing to sign a 5 year contract for $40M annually I think you do that. You can then keep the cap hits low for 2-3 years vs. 1 and you're locked in. If he won't sign a deal that is more fair to the team, you probably need to trade him. 
I agree with this 100 percent and I do think we will extend him.  but it will be all for nothing if we dont get a freaking right guard!  Spirlman should have been fired for putting Zero serious  free agent dollars into one of the worst lines in the league the past three seasons. 

Giving Kirk 5 more years because your ex-GM signed him to a bad deal last time and because this year’s rookie QB class isn’t highly touted would be would be peak Vikings. Please no.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
Giving Kirk 5 more years because your ex-GM signed him to a bad deal last time and because this year’s rookie QB class isn’t highly touted would be would be peak Vikings. Please no.
I agree.  It would be good to sell while his stock is high and build for the future.  It's a tough spot because as of now, there really isn't another obvious option for a decent replacement for him.