Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So....yeah....about that Wyatt Davis guy...
Quote:
i hate to say this about anybody, but maybe he's one of these and cant pick-up an NFL playbook?

[Image: 91QkUKCLVpL._AC_SX425_.jpg]

I'm not taking Kubiak's assessment too seriously.This year was a throwaway on many levels. Kubiak was a major cause of this shit-show. Add to that, Zimmer is well known for not wanting to play rookies. I think we need to hold off judgement until we have a legit offensive coordinator.

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
Meanwhile a couple guys that many of us on this board were pounding the table for in Ben Cleveland and Quinn Meinerz look like they are going to be very solid pro's. Both picked after the Vikings made three selections in the 3rd round.
Oh now let's not start that. Because of an injury, Cleveland started, what, one game? Two? He graded in the 40s, which is downright Doziery. Meinerz has been a little better, but little better than average. In either case, it's way too early to make a judgement on that 3rd round...for ALL teams. 
I saw an article the other day bemoaning the Vikings lack of contribution from the 3rd round. Providing ZERO context, which is hugely irresponsible. Here's the 3rd round. Go ahead, list all the starters from the 21 draft. Truth is, very few teams get significant contribution from 3rd rounders in their 1st season. Players like Hunter, Mattison, Dantzler, Elflein, McKinnon have spoiled Viking fans. But they are the exception, not the rule. 

One of the things this exercise of looking at Zimmer's students versus Patterson's students has given me is an appreciation of how Patterson has found ways of getting young Dlineman into games and not just as injury replacements.

I don't trust anything this coaching staff says about young players.  They can barely develop any of them and plenty of guys with potential either wash out of here or go do well somewhere else after they wash out of here.  

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
Meanwhile a couple guys that many of us on this board were pounding the table for in Ben Cleveland and Quinn Meinerz look like they are going to be very solid pro's. Both picked after the Vikings made three selections in the 3rd round.
Oh now let's not start that. Because of an injury, Cleveland started, what, one game? Two? He graded in the 40s, which is downright Doziery. Meinerz has been a little better, but little better than average. In either case, it's way too early to make a judgement on that 3rd round...for ALL teams. 
I saw an article the other day bemoaning the Vikings lack of contribution from the 3rd round. Providing ZERO context, which is hugely irresponsible. Here's the 3rd round. Go ahead, list all the starters from the 21 draft. Truth is, very few teams get significant contribution from 3rd rounders in their 1st season. Players like Hunter, Mattison, Dantzler, Elflein, McKinnon have spoiled Viking fans. But they are the exception, not the rule. 
Cleveland was a day 1 starter so that says something about his upside. Meinnerz has looked very solid in Denver. Kendrick Green was another guy I liked a lot who has been a day 1 starter in Pittsburgh. There's lots of guys on that list who have contributed and played a lot of meaningful snaps for their teams. Meanwhile we've gotten nothing all year out of Mond, Surratt, Jones and Wyatt Davis. They've all been inactive all year and now work ethic and/or bust whispers have come up about Mond and Davis from Vikings coaches. 

Slice it anyway you want but that pack of mid rounders Rick accumulated from the 2021 draft made zero impact for a team that needed it 

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
Cleveland was a day 1 starter so that says something about his upside. Meinnerz has looked very solid in Denver. Kendrick Green was another guy I liked a lot who has been a day 1 starter in Pittsburgh. There's lots of guys on that list who have contributed and played a lot of meaningful snaps for their teams. Meanwhile we've gotten nothing all year out of Mond, Surratt, Jones and Wyatt Davis. They've all been inactive all year and now work ethic and/or bust whispers have come up about Mond and Davis from Vikings coaches. 

Slice it anyway you want but that pack of mid rounders Rick accumulated from the 2021 draft made zero impact for a team that needed it 
Cleveland rotated early on until he got hurt, but he didn't start a game until week 15.
https://www.nfl.com/players/ben-cleveland/stats/

His PFF grade: 49.7.
https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/ben-cleveland/41696

You wanna crown his ass, then crown him. But you might want to wait two or three years before declaring any of these guys a better pick than anyone else. What's more, the Vikings 1st two picks were projects. We knew that when we drafted them. The other two are fair game, but their lack of contribution, in context with the rest of the 3rd round, is not out of line. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"supafreak84" said:

Cleveland rotated early on until he got hurt, but he didn't start a game until week 15.

You wanna crown his ass, then crown him. But you might want to wait two or three years before declaring any of these guys a better pick than anyone else. What's more, the Vikings 1st two picks were projects. We knew that when we drafted them. The other two are fair game, but their lack of contribution, in context with the rest of the 3rd round, is not out of line. 
Lol well of course it's too early to tell on any of them. That's an obvious statement. All I'm saying is we had four....four f'n picks in the 3rd round and we got no impact or return on any of them this year when we needed it. Coaches have not had very reassuring things to say recently on Mond and Davis. 

Quote: @"VikingOracle" said:
Now, you mention Andre Patterson's ability to develop talent and I agree with you.  Let's compare him to Zimmer.  Here are the players drafted at DL since 2015:
  • Danielle Hunter (3rd round; still playing)
  • BJ Dubose (6th round)
  • Jaleel Johnson (4th round, still playing)
  • Ifeadi Odenigbo (7th round, still playing)
  • Jalyn Holmes (4th round, still playing)
  • Ade Aruna (6th round)
  • Armon Watts (6th round, still playing)
  • DJ Wonnum (4th round, still playing)
  • James Lynch (4th round, still playing)
  • Kenny Willekes (7th round, still playing)
  • Patrick Jones (3rd round)
  • Janarius Robinson (4th round)
  • Jaylen Twyman (6th round).
So, since 2015, the Vikings have not drafted a DL higher than the 3rd round; have drafted a total of 13 dl in that time and all but 2 are still in the NFL.  I will agree with you, that looks like a coach good at developing talent as most have outplayed their draft position.

So, no, I would not lump Zimmer and Patterson together as coaches able to develop players.  You also see Patterson giving back-ups/young players reps (not caused by injuries).  
Lol, sorry that isn't that impressive.  Hunter has been a find, but is turning into a david boston type, too rip and always hurt.

The rest, Watts and Lynch are getting good reps and looking decent.  The rest on the Vikings are playing because we lack depth and hunter and Griff are out.  

That said, Patterson's resume is much longer and more impressive than that.

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"supafreak84" said:

Lol well of course it's too early to tell on any of them. That's an obvious statement. All I'm saying is we had four....four f'n picks in the 3rd round and we got no impact or return on any of them this year when we needed it. Coaches have not had very reassuring things to say recently on Mond and Davis. 
Yes it is an obvious statement, which really should render the rest of your paragraph irrelevant.