Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So....yeah....about that Wyatt Davis guy...
...he slipped in the Draft for a reason. Seems he's not understanding that 'being a pro' thing yet. 

https://twitter.com/christomasson/status...4516325378

Something went very wrong with this guy and I dont think it was coaching either. 

Yeah, I figured it was related to weight, work ethic, something like that. But here's what concerns me. He had 4 months to fix his issue, get in shape, whatever he had to do, but clearly didn't. If he had, he'd be starting.

And now he's about to get 7 months off with more money in his bank account than he'll know what to do with. So....we'll see how he handles that. 

LOL all these guys Spielman picked this year have been average or non-existent at best. The Davis thing is hugely puzzling. Zimmer basically threw Mond and Spielman under the bus with his comments on why he wasn't starting. Patrick Jones has been inactive for most games this season. Darrisaw has been good in stretches but has also had some rookie struggles. Our best pick has been a kick returner we took in the 4th round. Not a good or impactful draft for a guy looking to save his job.

Meanwhile a couple guys that many of us on this board were pounding the table for in Ben Cleveland and Quinn Meinerz look like they are going to be very solid pro's. Both picked after the Vikings made three selections in the 3rd round.

Based on past history, any OL that doesn't make the field in his rookie year likely never amounts to anything as an OL for the Vikings...  Hopefully he works out but...

The more I look at it, the more it feels like drafting a OL is foolish.  Too much hope on guys panning out vs getting 5 NFL average performers across the line via FA.  I would much rather spend money on a vet OL that knows how to communicate, knows their competitors, with a bunch of young weapons at RB/WR/TE.  

Vet OL's don't get rattled on the road in big games, fight back against grown men.  If your first round pick LT doesn't pan out, you lose money on the 1st round pick, have to find a stop gap to protect you QB investment, and start all over again.    

But sign Andrew Whitworth, Alex Mack, Geoff Schwartz, etc., you can have youngsters making plays with the additional time and protection.  

Young LOs seem fraught and potentially filled with weak links, not even discussing potential coaching and scheme changes throughout their careers.

They don't have to be 5 all pros, but man, across the board on both sides of the ball being NFL average would have put the 2016, 2018, and 2021 teams all in the playoffs

And yet he was picked by the Vikings. What about the scouting and due diligence?

Quote: @Skodin said:
The more I look at it, the more it feels like drafting a OL is foolish.  Too much hope on guys panning out vs getting 5 NFL average performers across the line via FA.  I would much rather spend money on a vet OL that knows how to communicate, knows their competitors, with a bunch of young weapons at RB/WR/TE.  

Vet OL's don't get rattled on the road in big games, fight back against grown men.  If your first round pick LT doesn't pan out, you lose money on the 1st round pick, have to find a stop gap to protect you QB investment, and start all over again.    

But sign Andrew Whitworth, Alex Mack, Geoff Schwartz, etc., you can have youngsters making plays with the additional time and protection.  

Young LOs seem fraught and potentially filled with weak links, not even discussing potential coaching and scheme changes throughout their careers.

They don't have to be 5 all pros, but man, across the board on both sides of the ball being NFL average would have put the 2016, 2018, and 2021 teams all in the playoffs
OL have some of the lowest bust rates of any of the position groups.  Doesn't mean they'll start out amazing or anything, but over time they should be decent.

Frankly, I think it is really hard to judge the late round draft picks. -- whether it is lack of talent or lack of coaching development.  I am interested in seeing what a new coaching staff does with the raw talent hanging around the fringes of the roster.