Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings offseason losers
Quote: @greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
https://vikingsterritory.com/2021/genera...-offseason
Kristopher Knox of Bleacher Report detailed five winners and five losers for the offseason on Monday — now that the bulk offseason operations are in the rearview. For Knox, the Vikings made the “loser” list.
Why? Well, he believes the franchise will rue missing out on Justin Fields during the 2021 NFL Draft, a quarterback who landed with the rival Chicago Bears.
“The Jets landed their quarterback in April’s draft. So did the Chicago Bears, who traded up to No. 11 to take Ohio State’s Justin Fields. The Minnesota Vikings, however, missed out on the quarterback they wanted. The Vikings wanted Fields and lost him to a bitter division rival. […] Minnesota’s desire to nab Fields suggests their time with Kirk Cousins is running short. While the Vikings did take Texas A&M’s Kellen Mond in the third round, he was not the team’s first choice. Perhaps Mond will develop well and work out as Minnesota’s future starter. However, if Fields goes on to have a long and fruitful career with the Bears, the Vikings are going to wish they pulled the trigger on a trade.
MB: Anyone who even loosely follows the draft knows that the offer the Vikings made to move up in the 1st round was NOT a serious offer. It was lowball. Below lowball. I have a hunch that was intentional. 

Yeah, one has to wonder if it wasn't intended to get the Bears to mortgage picks on another QB?  Fields may or may not turn out, but Chicago's tendency to give away multiple draft picks for one player has become a pattern, and not a productive one.

I think there is lots of chess going on in the draft rooms and Rick seems to be on the upper level of chess players.  Whether it was simple feigning interest, or an offer made for the other team so they could drive up interest with the "well the Vikings gave us an offer".  Lots of possibilities.
No doubt. He's proven to be one of the better drafting GMs in the NFL. But where he stands out IMO is his courage and ability to maneuver around the draft, up and down, to target the best value. Can't take that for granted, because not all GMs have 1. the trust of their ownership and 2. the experience to pull the trigger with confidence. He's won more of those than he's lost. 

I criticize this team when I think it's warranted. Not all free agency moves have been successful. Mike Zimmer probably isn't the best game plan coach out there. But the Vikings secret weapon, the reason we always seem to field very competitive rosters, is Rick Spielman. 

The funny thing is...  Fields has the biggest bust potential of any of the top 5 QBs IMO...  Mond isn't a perfect prospect either, but I'd rather have him as a 3rd round pick than giving up multiple (future) picks to get Fields.

The one we may regret passing on is Mac Jones.  I'm like the only one that liked him pre-draft...  it'll be interesting to see his career compared to Mond and Fields in 3-4 years. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
https://vikingsterritory.com/2021/genera...-offseason
Kristopher Knox of Bleacher Report detailed five winners and five losers for the offseason on Monday — now that the bulk offseason operations are in the rearview. For Knox, the Vikings made the “loser” list.
Why? Well, he believes the franchise will rue missing out on Justin Fields during the 2021 NFL Draft, a quarterback who landed with the rival Chicago Bears.
“The Jets landed their quarterback in April’s draft. So did the Chicago Bears, who traded up to No. 11 to take Ohio State’s Justin Fields. The Minnesota Vikings, however, missed out on the quarterback they wanted. The Vikings wanted Fields and lost him to a bitter division rival. […] Minnesota’s desire to nab Fields suggests their time with Kirk Cousins is running short. While the Vikings did take Texas A&M’s Kellen Mond in the third round, he was not the team’s first choice. Perhaps Mond will develop well and work out as Minnesota’s future starter. However, if Fields goes on to have a long and fruitful career with the Bears, the Vikings are going to wish they pulled the trigger on a trade.
MB: Anyone who even loosely follows the draft knows that the offer the Vikings made to move up in the 1st round was NOT a serious offer. It was lowball. Below lowball. I have a hunch that was intentional. 

Yeah, one has to wonder if it wasn't intended to get the Bears to mortgage picks on another QB?  Fields may or may not turn out, but Chicago's tendency to give away multiple draft picks for one player has become a pattern, and not a productive one.

I think there is lots of chess going on in the draft rooms and Rick seems to be on the upper level of chess players.  Whether it was simple feigning interest, or an offer made for the other team so they could drive up interest with the "well the Vikings gave us an offer".  Lots of possibilities.
No doubt. He's proven to be one of the better drafting GMs in the NFL. But where he stands out IMO is his courage and ability to maneuver around the draft, up and down, to target the best value. Can't take that for granted, because not all GMs have 1. the trust of their ownership and 2. the experience to pull the trigger with confidence. He's won more of those than he's lost. 

I criticize this team when I think it's warranted. Not all free agency moves have been successful. Mike Zimmer probably isn't the best game plan coach out there. But the Vikings secret weapon, the reason we always seem to field very competitive rosters, is Rick Spielman. 
I think Zimmer has good game plans, might be a bit inflexible when the game plan isn't right.  

But to the topic, yes Rick isn't afraid to make a move and most have turned out, save developmental QB.  I think he has a good feel for other teams and their GMs as well, seems to know when to move and when to not.  He has played several teams over the years and yet they still seem to take his call.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
The funny thing is...  Fields has the biggest bust potential of any of the top 5 QBs IMO...  Mond isn't a perfect prospect either, but I'd rather have him as a 3rd round pick than giving up multiple (future) picks to get Fields.

The one we may regret passing on is Mac Jones.  I'm like the only one that liked him pre-draft...  it'll be interesting to see his career compared to Mond and Fields in 3-4 years. 
True....

I watched a ton of Crimson Tide football. I'm far from football savvy, but he made some throws, executed plays that sure looked he's ready for Sunday's. That said I had (have) surround bias with all Tide QB's. 

His surround might have won some games against an NFL team in 2020  :p

Being with Belichek and NE might just be the perfect home for him. 

Quote: @Wetlander said:

I agree with PF that Jones is in the perfect place for him. But you weren't the only one who liked Jones. "Like" might be the wrong word for me. I just thought he was underrated, unfairly criticized for having a top surround. I would've taken him over Fields. 

@Wetlander said:

I agree with PF that Jones is in the perfect place for him. But you weren't the only one who liked Jones. "Like" might be the wrong word for me. I just thought he was underrated, unfairly criticized for having a top surround. I would've taken him over Fields. 
Really?!

I guess I'm more of a gambler and I admit I'm more enamored with an athletic freak vs Pillsbury dough-boy lol! 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:

Really?!

I guess I'm more of a gambler and I admit I'm more enamored with an athletic freak vs Pillsbury dough-boy lol! 

Same here, I would take Fields over Mac.  Both landed in good spots for them.  My favorite QB landed in the worst situation which was expected but I think Wilson (if the Jets can surround and build) is going to prove the best QB of this draft (barring injuries of course).  Might take a few years because the talent on the Jets is the worst of all the first round QB's taken.  

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:

Really?!

Given a choice, I go with the doughboy with a lot of experience reading defenses and going through progressions over the roboQB with very little. I just think that this is one of those traits that is key to making a successful transition from college QB to pro QB. There are plenty others though--accuracy, character...and Fields checks every one of them. I don't hate him, but the fact that he threw so few passes to 2nd and 3rd reads would scare the hell outta me if I'm a Bears fan. 

He's got to sit. If the Bears, tempted to win, put Fields in as a "weapon," I think he'll be RGIII. 

@purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:

Really?!

Given a choice, I go with the doughboy with a lot of experience reading defenses and going through progressions over the roboQB with very little. I just think that this is one of those traits that is key to making a successful transition from college QB to pro QB. There are plenty others though--accuracy, character...and Fields checks every one of them. I don't hate him, but the fact that he threw so few passes to 2nd and 3rd reads would scare the hell outta me if I'm a Bears fan. 

He's got to sit. If the Bears, tempted to win, put Fields in as a "weapon," I think he'll be RGIII. 
I agree.  I think QB is the one position where the mind matters more than the physical talent, all things in perspective of course.  DE and RB are probably the opposite.  Those positions can take a physical freak without the mental acuity. 

Mac Jones only full season was with these weapons.  Sure, other teams have some NFL talent, but both WR's went TOP 10, RB went 24, starting C went 37, and T went 17 overall - wow! 

Alabama Football 2021 NFL Drafted 
  • Jaylen Waddle – Pick No. 6 by the Miami Dolphins; Signing Bonus – $17.58 million; Total Contract – $27.086 million
  • Patrick Surtain II – Pick No. 9 by the Denver Broncos; Signing Bonus – $12.61 million; Total Contract – $20.962 million
  • DeVonta Smith – Pick No. 10 by the Philadelphia Eagles; Signing Bonus – $12 million; Total Contract – $20.14 million
  • Mac Jones – Pick No. 15 by the New England Patriots; Signing Bonus – $8.7 million; Total Contract – $15.59 million
  • Alex Leatherwood – Pick No. 17 by the Las Vegas Raiders; Signing Bonus – $7.83 million; Total Contract – $14.39 million
  • Najee Harris – Pick No. 24 by the Pittsburgh Steelers; Signing Bonus – $6.85 million; Total Contract – $13.05 million
  • Landon Dickerson – Pick No. 37 (second round) by the Philadelphia Eagles – Signing Bonus – $3.66 million; Total Contract – $8.66 million
  • Christian Barmore – Pick No. 38 (second round) by the New England Patriots – Signing Bonus – $3.56 million; Total Contract – $8.52 million
The NFL is always a level playing field in terms of talent and I think Mac Jones is going to struggle to adjust.  

I see his ceiling as an average starting QB.  I have watched a good amount of his game tapes and I see a lot of first read, LOS hot reads, screens, designed drag routes etc at the LOS mostly to Smith that he breaks for huge gains that will not happen in the NFL.  Nice to throw screens and wheel routes to the first RB taken Najee Harris who has nice hands.  I do see some perfectly thrown deep balls to completely wide-open TOP 10 WR's who are 5 steps away from a defender....again, not going to happen in the NFL.

All that said, and you can only deal with the hand your dealt and just because Jones's was literally dealt a full house he did execute at a high level.  Lastly, the OC for Alabama is also legit, man did they out-scheme everyone as well.  They were a well oiled machine on Offense from coaching, scheme and player talent.  

Just my armchair opinion but I am obviously not high on Mac Jones as a franchise QB.