Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strib: Clock is ticking on Cousins
Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Vikergirl" said:
@"VikeMike52" said:
@"Vikergirl" said:
It is ticking though. He is not a long-term plan. He has more OL help now. It's time for results. Here's hoping things work out.
What if he goes deep into the playoffs, is he long term then? Kirk has not been the problem.
That would be great. And what he doesn't? He has had some amazing stats but the most important stat is wins. Get positive results and get rewarded. 
What if he wins the MVP after a record breaking season, going 14-3 with 40 TDs, 8 INTs and 5,000 yards, but ends up losing the first game of the playoffs due to, God forbid, injuries to a half dozen starters? I mean there are a hundred different "what if" scenarios we could draw up. Vikings should still evaluate players objectively based on their individual performances, rather than some sort of team-based threshold. Just sayin...
Exactly and I was responding to a what if as well. All we can do is wait and see what happens. There is going to be evaluation on individual and team performance especially at qb. Does he make other players better, do they want to play for/with him,etc. 

Quote: @"VikeMike52" said:
@"Vikergirl" said:
It is ticking though. He is not a long-term plan. He has more OL help now. It's time for results. Here's hoping things work out.
What if he goes deep into the playoffs, is he long term then? Kirk has not been the problem.
When you QB consistently melts in every game against a team with a winning record, then yes, he is a big part of the problem.  The rumor is that the Wilfs were the ones who put the orders in for a QB early in the draft and I would imagine they are getting tired of writing out big checks that are not resulting in wins.  

Quote: @"JR44" said:
@"VikeMike52" said:
@"Vikergirl" said:
When you QB consistently melts in every game against a team with a winning record, then yes, he is a big part of the problem.  The rumor is that the Wilfs were the ones who put the orders in for a QB early in the draft and I would imagine they are getting tired of writing out big checks that are not resulting in wins.  
Where is this rumor coming from? I've heard nothing of the sort. Link? Tweet? Podcast? 

At some point, fans need to understand that...ahem...FOOTBALL IS A TEAM GAME AND QB WINS IS NOT A STAT...

Quote: @"JR44" said:
@"VikeMike52" said:
@"Vikergirl" said:
I've never heard anything remotely close to that, quite to opposite actually.  I've always heard Rick makes the football decisions.  Of course he has to run thing by them but it's his responsibility to find the right players in the right positions. 

Quote: @"VikeMike52" said:
@"JR44" said:
@"VikeMike52" said:
@"Vikergirl" said:
I've never heard anything remotely close to that, quite to opposite actually.  I've always heard Rick The Big Tuna makes the football decisions.  Of course he has to run thing by them but it's his responsibility to find the right players in the right positions. 
fixed it for ya..... 

From PFF:
Galina: Kirk Cousins is a dark horse MVP candidate after the Vikings fortified their offensive line through the 2021 NFL Draft

One day, the prophecy will be fulfilled and Kirk Cousins will win NFL MVP or the Super Bowl. Considering how many average quarterbacks we’ve seen flirt with the award during the season and the recent Super Bowl signal-callers no longer starting for the teams they took to the big game, Cousins will come out on top one of these years.
We treat the Minnesota Vikings quarterback as one of these Jared Goff or Jimmy Garoppolo types, but in reality, he has been much better, consistently ranking in the top 10 in a number of traditional and advanced statistics each year.
Moreover, the Vikings' offense has been very good the past two seasons. The Minnesota passing offense was the fourth-most efficient attack in the league in 2019 and the 10th-most efficient last season. Yet, in Cousins' three years with the Vikings, they’ve been to the playoffs only once and won one game. How is this possible?

If we look at all the quarterbacks who have taken at least 1,500 snaps over the past three seasons, Cousins ranks seventh in PFF grade, at 88.7. That’s borderline elite, if not firmly elite. The biggest difference is that the quarterbacks who rank in front of Cousins win games. A lot of them.
Meanwhile, Cousins is 25-21-1 in the regular season for the Vikings. Patrick Mahomes is 37-8, Tom Brady is 34-14, Drew Brees is 30-8, Aaron Rodgers is 32-15-1, Russell Wilson is 33-15 and Deshaun Watson is 25-22. How is it possible that those guys have such better records than Cousins when the Vikings quarterback is not far from them statistically?
QuarterbackPFF GradeRecord
Patrick Mahomes94.237-8
Drew Brees93.630-8
Aaron Rodgers93.432-15-1
Russell Wilson93.333-15
Tom Brady93.034-14
Deshaun Watson91.925-22
Kirk Cousins88.725-21-1
I believe that there is a universe — and for my sake, I hope it’s this one — where Kirk Cousins and the Vikings have a season where everything works in harmony and he leads his team to at least the NFC Championship game or wins the MVP award. The Vikings have done everything right the past two offseasons to support Cousins, and now he must repay them.

Also from PFF:  Most improved OL from Draft and FA:

Vikes at 3:

3. MINNESOTA VIKINGSThe Vikings, like the Chargers, have dealt with perennial offensive line concerns in recent years. They’ve put some resources into the position with early draft picks spent on Garrett Bradbury and Ezra Cleveland, but those selections haven’t panned out yet. The 2021 NFL Draft was another opportunity for Minnesota to add to the group, and they did.
The Vikings’ draft began with them trading down from the No. 14 overall pick, also giving up the 143rd pick, and receiving Picks 23, 66 and 86. That haul yielded two offensive linemen — Virginia Tech tackle Christian Darrisaw and Ohio State guard Wyatt Davis — and Texas A&M quarterback Kellen Mond. The Vikings could have very easily selected either Darrisaw or Alijah Vera-Tucker at Pick 14, but they turned it into multiple starting-caliber offensive linemen instead.
Darrisaw should be an upgrade over Riley Reiff as Brian O’Neill’s running mate at tackle. He improved each of his three years as a starter at Virginia Tech, culminating in an elite 95.6 grade in 2020. There’s almost a lazy way to the way he dominated ACC edge rushers this past season.
Davis figures to be the favorite to start at guard with Cleveland, competing against Mason Cole and Kyle Hinton, among others, for the open spot. He was one of the more reliable offensive guards in this class in pass protection, which had to be appealing to Minnesota given the team's interior pass protection struggles, and has some legitimate physical tools to work with.
Those two additions, along with potential improvements from Cleveland and Bradbury, could have the Vikings’ offensive line headed back in the right direction in 2021.

@"BarrNone55" said:
Quote:
@"JR44" said:
@"VikeMike52" said:
@"Vikergirl" said:
Where is this rumor coming from? I've heard nothing of the sort. Link? Tweet? Podcast? 

At some point, fans need to understand that...ahem...FOOTBALL IS A TEAM GAME AND QB WINS IS NOT A STAT...

I saw that online on Instagram, with the rumor being passed along by Darren Wolfson apparently...although I don't know how reliable it is.vikesinsiderThe Vikings ownership "drove the bus" in terms of taking a QB relatively high. There was a "strong recommendation from the Wilf family to really look strongly at a quarterback really really high." 

Per: Darren Wolfson.

I think its natural for fans to want to find "one problem" when in the case of KC and the Vikings there is more than one causal at play both good and the bad. 

Giving KC the right O system? Check, Grade B (too many OC's)
Giving KC really good weapons? Check, Grade A+

Giving KC GOOD to AVG OL? Not Check, Grade C-, Trending-up 
Giving KC GOOD to AVG D? Not last year, GRADE C, Trending-up

KC consistently making good decisions and plays? Not Consistent, Streakie (@ GB a poster child game for many) B Grade as the stats in a vacuum look good. 

In summary, the Vikings organization has taken too long to support him up-front, he needs to play well more consistently, the D needs to improve and take the pressure off of the O.

Oh, lets not forget a dreadful ST too. After all it is a team game. 

Since his time with the Vikings Kirk has had arguably the best combination of playmakers in the league with two of the best WRs and the best RB.  I never hear anything about that in terms of Kirk's evaluation, it is always the OL that takes the blame for his shortcomings.  Go look at the tape, most of his awful plays and game crushing interceptions have come with clean pockets.  7-35 against teams with winning records and 3-16 since his time with the Vikes.  The Wilfs certainly have taken notice -

Wolfson: Judd, let’s start at the very very top: OWNERSHIP. I am told by multiple people that ownership drove the bus, not necessarily on that specific quarterback, Kellen Mond, but on the idea of taking a quarterback relatively high. And if it came down to it, even taking a quarterback in the first round. But that the Wilf’s didn’t want Spielman to wait until round six to take a quarterback. They didn’t want it to be like last year waiting until round 7, snagging, Nate Stanley.