Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings Salary Cap
Once the regular season starts all contracts count against the cap, including practice squad. The top 51 rule is in effect from the start of free agency in March until week one of the regular season.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
The #Vikings have interest in veteran WR Dede Westbrook and EDGE Ryan Kerrigan, according to Darren Wolfson.
Looks like the Vikings ain’t done yet in free agency
Definitely not done, and would love to have Kerrigan. Also think Vikings will add a corner, perhaps via trade, once we find out what's going on with Gladney. 

But the more I think about WR, the more it's hard to see. Will Dede want to come be a WR3 on a running team that uses WR3s 25% of the time? We definitely need an upgrade there, as WR right now is a comp between ISM, Beebe, and Bisi. That's not great. We really should've moved that WR draft pick up to the 3rd or 4th. 

Westbrook would give us a proven PR and guy who topped 60+ catches twice. If we lose Thielen or JJ for any length of time the cupboard is bare. Bisi is ok, but Beebe is ALWAYS HURT.  I'm more worried about WR depth than OL depth. 

Kerrigan would be a nice to have as insurance if Hunter doesn't come along the way back or squawks too much about his contract. Not sure if there's a lot of great left on those tires.

we have enough money and reasoning to lock in both.  These both feel like moves that later in the season we will be thankful for 

Kerrigan I believe could have a great season on this defense. Could be a sneaky 8-10 sack season rotating with Hunter, Weatherly, Wonnum, Robinson and the Pitt kid

With the nice salary cap in place now, do you think a couple of contract extensions will likely to appear...?

Quote: @"ArizonaViking" said:
With the nice salary cap in place now, do you think a couple of contract extensions will likely to appear...?
Sounds like they've been working on Harry for a couple of months now. i'm sure Smith wants a long term deal, but the reality is that he's 32.

Thinking Hunter's will come sometime between training camp and regular season, once he proves himself 100% healthy. And it will be a big one. While Hunter's will likely save money on the cap, i tend to think they might front-load Harry's, considering his age, making it easier to get out of it if he falls off a cliff in the next couple years. 

OT Eric Fisher just got 1 yr, $10M from IND. 

$2.5M more than Rieff, and Fisher might only play half the season. Wow. 

I know some had suggested Fisher as a fallback for the Vikings. With that risk and that price tag, I’m verrrrry happy MIN didn’t go that route. Makes me wanna hug Darrisaw 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"ArizonaViking" said:
Sounds like they've been working on Harry for a couple of months now. i'm sure Smith wants a long term deal, but the reality is that he's 32.

Thinking Hunter's will come sometime between training camp and regular season, once he proves himself 100% healthy. And it will be a big one. While Hunter's will likely save money on the cap, i tend to think they might front-load Harry's, considering his age, making it easier to get out of it if he falls off a cliff in the next couple years. 
They will save money on the cap with an extension for Harry. Danielle will add money to the cap based on how they're going to make him happy (more of a short-term fix). O'Neil's extension will also add money to the cap as well. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"ArizonaViking" said:

They will save money on the cap with an extension for Harry. Danielle will add money to the cap based on how they're going to make him happy (more of a short-term fix). O'Neil's extension will also add money to the cap as well. 
O'Neill's on a 2nd round rookie deal, so that one's obvious. But in order to save money on Harry, they are going to have to put some years on that deal. Is that what you're hearing? Hunter's cap hit this year is $17M. Are they really thinking of a short-term fix? Like giving him a huge raise and loading much of it onto '21? Vikings have some space to work with, maybe that's how they use it?