Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings Salary Cap
The Vikings will have about $13 million in cap space after paying rookies. Figure $3 million for practice squad, injuries. That leaves about $10 million in play. Any guesses as for what they do?

after the draft  we had on online I say most is saved for roll over next yeat

There will be a couple extensions to deal with right before camp or at least during the early part of the season.  ONeill and Hunter most likely,  a Smith restructure and extension should still be in the works as well.

That $13M number appears correct after rookies are signed and Rudy's money goes away after June 1. They can add to that space by extending Harry and Hunter, but they may choose to put more money into '22, since they don't really appear to need much this year. 

If they do add a free agent, I would say WR is a strong possibility. They waited until the 5th round to take one this year and I'm not sure Smith-Marsette is an immediate WR3. Dede Westbrook and Golden Tate still out there. 

Also might add a corner if they lose Gladney. Vikings didn't draft one at all. And with Gladney questionable and Hughes injury prone, they could find themselves suddenly very thin there. 

Tate would be a very good get. 

How about swinging for the fences and find out what Atlanta wants for Julio? Truly pie in the sky, but worth a call. You'd definitely have to load Brez up with Maalox, and it would probably cost a 2nd and 5th, but we'd be any DC's nightmare.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
That $13M number appears correct after rookies are signed and Rudy's money goes away after June 1. They can add to that space by extending Harry and Hunter, but they may choose to put more money into '22, since they don't really appear to need much this year. 

If they do add a free agent, I would say WR is a strong possibility. They waited until the 5th round to take one this year and I'm not sure Smith-Marsette is an immediate WR3. Dede Westbrook and Golden Tate still out there. 

Also might add a corner if they lose Gladney. Vikings didn't draft one at all. And with Gladney questionable and Hughes injury prone, they could find themselves suddenly very thin there. 
I think Golden Tate would be a good fit as well. I'll bet the Vikings are monitoring the Gladney situation very carefully and corner would be my guess. Sure would be nice if Hughes can stay healthy over the duration that Gladney is potentially suspended

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:

How about swinging for the fences and find out what Atlanta wants for Julio? Truly pie in the sky, but worth a call. You'd definitely have to load Brez up with Maalox, and it would probably cost a 2nd and 5th, but we'd be any DC's nightmare.
since we typically run more 2 WR sets,  who do you take off the field,  Theilen?  in a different offense I would love to see 3 stud receivers,  but the third receiver in a Kubiak style O is about as utilized in the passing game as a full back.

Umm. . there is one guy that can take a lower cap deal and would love to keep his legs fresh.  A guy who can play the slot, who a QB can absolutely trust, and can teach up younger WRs.  Insurance in case Adam or JJ is injured.

A guy who the state of Minnesota has been lusting over since the early 2000's

Larry Fitzgerald

Bring him home for a title run.

2 years/$16 million (incentive laden)

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

since we typically run more 2 WR sets,  who do you take off the field,  Theilen?  in a different offense I would love to see 3 stud receivers,  but the third receiver in a Kubiak style O is about as utilized in the passing game as a full back.
It would definitely take a change/tweak in philosophy to maximize the return. And, as we were 27th in passing attempts last year, there would be some hungry guys, but I think you could make it work. 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

It would definitely take a change/tweak in philosophy to maximize the return. And, as we were 27th in passing attempts last year, there would be some hungry guys, but I think you could make it work. 
IMO until we are confident that our revamped OL is up to the challenge,  it would be in Kirks best interest to keep our O on the same path in terms of passing attempts.

If we are going to go spending on FAs,  IMO there are likely better values out there than a top tier contract on an often injured player that would cost future draft capital.

But yes it would create some mismatches for opposing Ds to deal with.