Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#157 Ihmir Smith-Marsette Iowa
Quote: @"bigbone62" said:
@"Hawkvike25" said:
@"peacebringer" said:
I don't like this pick. Yes, he is fast, but alcohol and attitude issues. He will not give us much unless turns around. 
Attitude issues is fine, but because he got arrested one time in an alcohol related incident doesnt mean it's an issue. If that's the case, the Bucs should have never drafted Wirfs
Let's say it's not an alcohol issue. If not than it's clearly an intelligence issue. He was going 74 mph in a 30 mph zone. On a street that if you're doing 10 over you're an idiot. 44 mph over and you're begging to kill someone. Factor in he was nearly twice the legal limit. Did I mention the place he was coming from was just over a mile from his home? Its Iowa City FFS, everything is walkable.  Too drunk to walk? No shortage of Ubers or Taxis .And for good measure he was failing fall classes and wasn't going to be eligible for the bowl game. Sounds like a real winner.
Not disagreeing, character issues are definitely a concern. I can tell you that the road he got pulled over on is common for DUI/Speeding and even idiots racing one another. This isn't an excuse but the road is on the other side of the river which is a rather far walk from the bars so that's why I am assuming he was driving. Hopefully he can grow up and get his crap together otherwise it'll be another waste of talent.

As a hawkeye fan here is my observation of ISM - hawkeye shorthand.   Athletic wise he was a cut above college.  Petras sucked this year, so don't even look at his numbers other than his game against Wisconsin.  The hawkeye program is generally all about the details, yet they put ISM out there early in his career because he is so dynamic.  He has a feel for the game that is very good.  He is a bit of me first player and will do stupid things from time to time like the flip against Wisconsin injuring his leg.  Just pure showmanship that could have cost his team.  His route running improved, but will still need some work.  Both Ferentz's liked him, which means he at least puts the effort in,  I was the one stating Jaleel Johnson would never succeed because he did not have a great work ethic. I am not as close to the program as I was back a few years ago, but that is not something I would label ISM,  he won't be your elite student of the game, but I think he works on it.  Someone stated they would take Nwangwu over ISM.  I will give straight line speed and size to Nwangwu, but wiggle vision and and the ability to stay on his feet goes to ISM.  Both can be weapons in this offense which you are looking for.  I could foresee some diva behaviour from ISM if he were to become a star,  but that is worth it from a 5th round receiver,  he has the talent but now he has to put in the work.  

Quote: @"Kmerry82" said:
As a hawkeye fan here is my observation of ISM - hawkeye shorthand.   Athletic wise he was a cut above college.  Petras sucked this year, so don't even look at his numbers other than his game against Wisconsin.  The hawkeye program is generally all about the details, yet they put ISM out there early in his career because he is so dynamic.  He has a feel for the game that is very good.  He is a bit of me first player and will do stupid things from time to time like the flip against Wisconsin injuring his leg.  Just pure showmanship that could have cost his team.  His route running improved, but will still need some work.  Both Ferentz's liked him, which means he at least puts the effort in,  I was the one stating Jaleel Johnson would never succeed because he did not have a great work ethic. I am not as close to the program as I was back a few years ago, but that is not something I would label ISM,  he won't be your elite student of the game, but I think he works on it.  Someone stated they would take Nwangwu over ISM.  I will give straight line speed and size to Nwangwu, but wiggle vision and and the ability to stay on his feet goes to ISM.  Both can be weapons in this offense which you are looking for.  I could foresee some diva behaviour from ISM if he were to become a star,  but that is worth it from a 5th round receiver,  he has the talent but now he has to put in the work.  
A 5th round WR becoming a diva?

Oddly familiar...hmmmm...can't quite put my...wait a minute

Barrnone that comparison comes to me as well.   I think it is less, and he was able to deal with both Ferentz's very well, so I would say we won't have quite the issues of Diggs although there may be a little more to the story there.  ISM is more of a flashy issue and whether that will cause issues.  As to the earlier post claiming a character issue, no offense but thats bogus.  If getting a ticket for an OWI or other offense you better not look at the Reiffs, Clayborn, Wirfs and many others.  He made a 1 time dumb decision on that he got caught.  Only the stupid ones like Benny Sapp get do it again.  

Just to show kids can grow up.  Here is a story on Riley Reiff,  pretty funny. 

https://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/post/_/...e-on-chase

I guess I don't see the relevance. Foot chase versus 44mph over while nearly twice the legal limit. Reiff wasn't exactly endangering the lives of everyone around while alluding cops. Apples to oranges imo. 

Quote: @"bigbone62" said:
@"Kmerry82" said:

I guess I don't see the relevance. Foot chase versus 44mph over while nearly twice the legal limit. Reiff wasn't exactly endangering the lives of everyone around while alluding cops. Apples to oranges imo. 
both were stupid both were drunk both were age 19-21.  FYI - he was running through streets naked and most certainly was endangering himself the cops and other traffic.  I am not minimizing the specific act,  what I am stating is Iowa City is bubble, and lot of kids in the Iowa program have gotten some sort of alcohol related ticket.  If you are going to write off all those individuals as having character concerns,  I find that fairly questionable.  You are stating non of these kids can learn from their mistakes, mature or ect.  He was not known as a problem child.  If the Ferentz are going to vouch for the kid that should tell you enough.  Go ahead and make this a bigger deal than what it really is.  

Bigbone - fyi - what evidence do you have that he was failing fall classes.  I am not stating that isn't true,  just haven't heard that all.   

@"bigbone62" said:
@"Kmerry82" said:

both were stupid both were drunk both were age 19-21.  FYI - he was running through streets naked and most certainly was endangering himself the cops and other traffic.  I am not minimizing the specific act,  what I am stating is Iowa City is bubble, and lot of kids in the Iowa program have gotten some sort of alcohol related ticket.  If you are going to write off all those individuals as having character concerns,  I find that fairly questionable.  You are stating non of these kids can learn from their mistakes, mature or ect.  He was not known as a problem child.  If the Ferentz are going to vouch for the kid that should tell you enough.  Go ahead and make this a bigger deal than what it really is.  
Pretty much the response I expect. To even attempt to portray what Rieff did as endangering others as Marsette did is laughable. Outside of tables and pitas inside the Pita Pit he ran through no one/thing was in danger. 
Let's ask ICPD to vouch for guys like Marsette that they have to turn a blind eye to because "their Hawks". You really have to be begging for it to get arrested in IC as a ball player. More often than not it's a pat on the back, "nice effort this week" and ride home. 

Kirk vouches for him? Cool, let's ask the many players and staff over the years about Chris Doyle. How Kirk vouched for him and ignored the numerous complaints of Doyle being a turd. Kirk and his coordinators knew what was going on and turned a blind eye. Kirk's vouching means very little to me. 
The state of Iowa has paid that family $97.1 million. Zero outright Big 10 titles.  Zero wins in the Big 10 championship. 9-8 bowl record.  People outside of the Iowa fanbase can't wrap their heads around what this guy has done to get these pay days.

And Iowa fans never stop to wonder why you rarely hear his name in connection to bigger NCAA programs or the NFL. But hey, Iowa upset one top team and played in another Alamo/Outback bowl! Let's give the guy a raise and hand the job to his kid when he retires. Lol!