Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
24+ Hours Out
Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
Is the word "presumably" his or yours? Because that's a lot to presume. Every team is making calls to gauge the cost of moving up and down. But moving from 14 to 4? That would cost the moon. 
Mine. I didn't actually hear the podcast, so I'm relying on non check marked tweeters.
Doogie and PA are useful smokers. They're connected and believable. If the Patriots or Bears or whoever think the Vikings might take the 5th QB at 14, they'll need to get ahead of the Vikings. And that would be good for the Vikings if they're targeting another position. 

Or maybe I'm just wishful thinking. Really don't want to take a QB in the first. Why do you bring in P2 and Woods and Mack, all on one-year contracts, if you're going to spend your 1st round pick on a player that won't help you in '21? 
Its been kept on the down low but is starting to come out now. They're very in on all the QBs, it just becomes a value game. Spieleman personally attended Alabama, BYU, OSU, and NDSU pro days. He could have sent a position coaches to see Radunz or the OSU LBs. He was there to see the quarterbacks. I'm with you that drafting a QB or giving up a lot to trade up for one isn't 100% intuitive. 

But think of it this way. The Vikings got held over the barrel when signing Kirk because they had no other options. They continue to be taken to the woodshed having no competition or even the slightest chance of moving on. Drafting a QB doesn't mean they're moving on from Kirk, its an avenue to do so. Are there more pressing needs? Yes. But reality is that a QB behind Cousins helps negotiations, potentially the team, or if all else fails can be flipped for equal or higher value in the future. 
I think they just have to cover all their bases. It's not surprising to me at all that they've scouted them all and are well-versed on all the QBs. It would, however, surprise me if they invested a lot of draft capital to move up and take one. 
They do, but there is "covering your bases" and "digging deeper". On some of these guys the latter is the case. They aren't going to move up to #4 and give up multiple future 1sts. But if their guy is there at #7/8 is the price right? If I were going to put money on it I'd bet on Mond/Trask in rounds 2. 

There could be defensive end value late ThursdayLike the group of cornerbacks a year ago, there’s little consensus as to how to rank the top pass rushers this year. For some, Kwity Paye is the top prospect. For others, it’s Azeez Ojulari or Gregory Rousseau or Jaelan Phillips.
When there’s such little consensus on how to rank the players, there’s a chance that the Vikings could find value at the end of the first round or even the start of the second round. This draft centers around the trenches for the Vikings. I’d be shocked if their first two picks weren’t an offensive lineman and a defensive lineman. It’s rare that you can be so confident in what position a team will take. But that’s the spot the Vikings are in.
So if the Vikings do trade back in the first round, I think there could be some attractive options at defensive end for them.

[Image: MaAIgBaS_normal.jpg]
One of the draft’s curiosities is Virginia Tech highly rated OT Christian Darrisaw. A reason why is that he played with a significant groin injury late in 2020 and quietly had surgery to repair a core muscle injury in January, source said. He did position drills at his Pro Day.

1. Trevon Moehrig, Texas Christian (6-foot-0½, 202, 4.51, Round 1 or 2): TCU’s MVP on special teams as a freshman before starting at free safety in 2019 and ’20.
“I don’t remember the last safety that could both tackle and cover,” said one scout. “That conference (Big 12) probably is the best passing conference in football, and he was really good. He covered the slot most of the time. There are very few safeties that can actually cover. I’d try him at corner just to see if he could play out there.”
Played cornerback and wide receiver in high school at Spring Branch, Texas.
“I didn’t see special, but I saw a lot of good,” said a second scout. “I appreciate the way he played. He can play in the middle of the field and he can play down. He’s one of the few guys who is fully interchangeable. I’m not saying he’s great covering the slot, but he knows how to play within himself.
“I like the angles he plays with in the run game. He’s tough. He’s got the size. His speed is fine.”
Finished with 125 tackles (4½ for loss), seven picks and 28 PBUs.
“He’s more of a post player than a consistent physical player,” a third scout said. “I think he’s unanimous (as the No. 1 safety). He’ll be on the brink of (making the Pro Bowl).”
Arms were just 30⅝ inches. A fourth scout remained unimpressed.
“I don’t see anything to him,” he said. “You can see he knows how to play … but he’s not really fast, he’s not really athletic, he’s not a knock-you-out tackler or anything. He’s just OK.”
2. Jevon Holland, Oregon (6-foot-0½, 207, 4.46, Round 2): Here’s another player with a light resume. He started two of 13 games as a freshman in 2018 and all 14 in ’19 before opting out in ’20.
“He’s a rookie starter,” said one scout. “I was at his workout. He worked out really well. He can play down in the box but is also athletic enough to play on the deep end. You can do a lot of things (with him). He ran a 4.46 (40) and had ball skills.”
Finished with nine interceptions, leading the Ducks in 2018 and ’19.
“He has put on a lot of weight since he last played (listed at 196 in ’20), but he ran well with it,” a second scout said. “He can play nickel, but I see him more as a free (safety). Good player, really smart. He’s going to have some issues with quicker guys, but against certain guys, you’ll be able to get away with him. I think he’s a starter.”
The Pleasanton, Calif., native also made 110 tackles (4½ for loss) and broke up 19 passes.
“He’s a ‘tweener,” a third scout said. “Not a corner athlete. (Doesn’t have ideal) safety strength and toughness. Didn’t see a lot of twitch or change of direction.”

• JA'MARR CHASEWR, COLLEGE PLAYER
    ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports the Lions tried to trade up to the fourth pick in the NFL Draft in pursuit of LSU's Ja'Marr Chase. RELATED: 
    SOURCE: LionsWire.comApr 28, 2021, 11:07 AM ET

Never pictured Chase as a kneecap biter.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
This might be too on the nose, but I got to think the Broncos are a painfully obvious trade partner should Sewell slide.
I would agree, but only if all 5 QBs are gone. I think Paton wants his QB. So moving from 14 to 9 would cost our first 3rd and our first 4th. Not too terribly expensive. I would do that if it were for Sewell or Slater. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
This might be too on the nose, but I got to think the Broncos are a painfully obvious trade partner should Sewell slide.
I would agree, but only if all 5 QBs are gone. I think Paton wants his QB. So moving from 14 to 9 would cost our first 3rd and our first 4th. Not too terribly expensive. I would do that if it were for Sewell or Slater. 
100% 3 are gone
90% 4 are gone
50% 5 are gone.

I think if the 49ers take Mac, I think 5 are gone by 8. If they go Fields or Lance, it will be only 4.

Bizarre to me that we're 24 hours away from the draft and Jax is still comparing QBs and Shanahan is apparently undecided. At least publicly. 

Andrew Mason
@MaseDenver
· 29m
.@PFN365’s @TonyPauline says on a media conference call that he thinks the Dolphins would be willing to move down and make a deal with Denver to go from 6 to 9. Pauline notes that the Dolphins don’t want to move down that far; they want to stay in the top 12.