Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is your nightmare draft scenario?
That the draft actually replaces the sport, and any "Vikings news" all year long is limited to dips**ts doing mocks all year long.

Quote: @"VikingOracle" said:
@"Hawkvike25" said:
Lastly, Kirk is good enough to win a Super Bowl, just need his team to be.
Kirk is only good enough to win a SB if his salary is low enough to permit the Vikes to build a great team around him.  He can't be paid as a top 5 QB, perform like a top 15 QB and expect to win a SB.
He can't perform like a top 5 QB (though in many metrics, he does) with an  o-line always rated in the bottom 20% of the league.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Any pick in the back 7, and I'm gonna lose my shit.
Yeah, same here...  if we take a CB, S, or LB at 14...  Spielman better find a good place to hide...
....Rick went to Trevon Moehrig’s pro day....dunnnnn da da dunnn...

Trade down for defense 

Christian Ponder's kid becoming draft eligible. 

Cable goes out is up there too.

Quote: @"VikingOracle" said:
@"Hawkvike25" said:
Kirk is only good enough to win a SB if his salary is low enough to permit the Vikes to build a great team around him.  He can't be paid as a top 5 QB, perform like a top 15 QB and expect to win a SB.

If there is a bigger myth in the NFL than this whole notion that paying a QB top dollar prevents you from putting quality players around him, I don't know what it is. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"VikingOracle" said:
@"Hawkvike25" said:

If there is a bigger myth in the NFL than this whole notion that paying a QB top dollar prevents you from putting quality players around him, I don't know what it is. 
I don't think anyone is saying you can't put quality players around a QB you're paying a lot of money to...  but there IS plenty of evidence that you aren't winning a Super Bowl unless you have 1) Tom Brady or 2) you're paying your QB less than 14% of your cap space in a given year.  Read VikingOracle's post again...  Key part is "expect to win a Super Bowl".

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"VikingOracle" said:
@"Hawkvike25" said:

I don't think anyone is saying you can't put quality players around a QB you're paying a lot of money to...  but there IS plenty of evidence that you aren't winning a Super Bowl unless you have 1) Tom Brady or 2) you're paying your QB less than 14% of your cap space in a given year.  Read VikingOracle's post again...  Key part is "expect to win a Super Bowl".
Super Bowl winners since 2010, with cap percentage:2020: Patrick Mahomes: 2.4% (Rookie)2019: Tom Brady: 12.4%2018: Nick Foles: 1.0% — Carson Wentz 3.6% (Rookie)2017: Tom Brady: 8.9%2016: Peyton Manning: 12.2%2015: Tom Brady: 11.1%2014: Russell Wilson: 0.6% (Rookie)2013: Joe Flacco: 6.6% (Rookie)2012: Eli Manning: 11.7%2011: Aaron Rodgers: Uncapped season2010: Drew Brees: 8.7%
also, https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/1/2/18164980/nfl-playoffs-quarterbacks-salary-cap-kirk-cousins-patrick-mahomes. "It’s overly simplistic to say that paying a quarterback a lot of money prohibits a team from being successful. New Orleans’s Drew Brees, Indianapolis’s Andrew Luck, and Seattle’s Russell Wilson each make over $20 million a year. We’re dealing with a small sample size, but what is clear from the 2018 season is that there are too many quarterbacks being paid like superstars. And it’s very bad for team-building if your highly paid quarterback doesn’t play like a superstar."

And https://www.si.com/nfl/chiefs/gm-report/do-massive-quarterback-contracts-limit-teams-in-the-long-run. "The one thing that does remain consistent is that there seems to be a max amount of salary cap space a quarterback can take up in the last nine years, and that’s 15%. Only Aaron Rodgers in 2019 passed 15% and that was just barely. How many times do quarterback contracts pass this 15% threshold, exactly?"

My worst fear is RS trades any of the following picks-

Third-Round Pick, 78th overall
Third-Round Pick (from Ravens), 90th overall
Fourth-Round Pick, 119th overall
Fourth-Round Pick (from Bears), 125th overall
Fourth-Round Pick (from Bills), 134th overall
Fourth-Round Pick (compensatory), 143rd overall
Fifth-Round Pick, 157th overall
Sixth-Round Pick, 199th overall

/