Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, I Did A Thing
Quote: @"PurpleCrush" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@"pattersaur" said:
My Honda is approaching 200K miles so I'm starting to look around at options for upgrading from my car to an SUV. Been looking off and on for a few months now, but I don't have much experience or knowledge when it comes to a lot of stuff, but especially car buying.
Any tips that any of you can share? Is there a better or worse time of year to buy? Or should I just keep waiting to find that unicorn vehicle priced way below market value?
Should add, I'll definitely be buying used. Thanks in advance for any help!
Time of year won't matter with a used car. I'd hit up my local Honda Dealer for the Pilot. Had one about eight years ago and loved it. 
I spent years driving VWs and Audis until they finally nickeled, dimed and dollared me to death. Love how they look, but seemed I was spending $1K every couple months or so. Decided to buy a used Acura SUV about 2.5 years ago and I've decided I'll never buy another brand. This thing has 130K on it and all I do is change the oil. I'm sold on the Honda/Acura brand in terms of reliability.
I have a Honda Accord V6, which offers plenty of power. To your point the idea of a German car is fun until you see the bills rolling in outside of the first 2-3 years of ownership. Not that I am a proponent of leasing, but it makes sense on those cars. Being able to change the tires and oil without much else makes my bank acct more excited. 
I've been driving VW's for years now (presently a GTI), and lease all of them (for the very reason of minimizing bills after 3 years, but also cuz I get bored and want a new car). I took my girlfriend to get her BMW back from the shop yesterday, and I was driving the loaner car they gave her and the thing was a beast (M340). Suffice to say...... I spoke with a customer rep from her dealer inquiring about purchasing a new car.
[Image: gfsa0nj85tkt.gif]

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@"pattersaur" said:
My Honda is approaching 200K miles so I'm starting to look around at options for upgrading from my car to an SUV. Been looking off and on for a few months now, but I don't have much experience or knowledge when it comes to a lot of stuff, but especially car buying.
Any tips that any of you can share? Is there a better or worse time of year to buy? Or should I just keep waiting to find that unicorn vehicle priced way below market value?
Should add, I'll definitely be buying used. Thanks in advance for any help!
Time of year won't matter with a used car. I'd hit up my local Honda Dealer for the Pilot. Had one about eight years ago and loved it. 
My wife drives the CR-V, and we're looking at changing it out for the Passport.  It's kind of a bigger CR-V, but shorter than the Pilot with the same V6.  It also has more clearance so better for off-road.

Not a huge car guy. Have a 2006 Lexus GS350 AWD with only 65,000 on it. Been in a garage its whole life (can't tell you what a difference that makes to the life of a car). The color however is unique: Glacier Frost. Looks white in direct sun, bluish white on cloudy days. Everything is still perfect on it, the dealer offers to buy it whenever he sees it. The other is 2019 BMW X3: wife enjoys driving it in Sport mode. 

@"AGRforever" said:
[Image: 84660299.jpg]
Not a fan of The Athletic?

Wink
I actually went to get the picture before there was a draft board post but my post actually posted after yours lol. 

I figured you were just telling us about your shopping trends. 

And on trucks those MFers stopped making manual trucks. 2018 was the last year Ram made one. For 99% of yall its no big deal but pulling horse trailers through the mountains is much easier for this redneck with a manual. 

I ended up finding 1 with 7k miles which was the lowest in the country 20 minutes from here. We called and came in before it even arrived at the dealership. By the time we were filling out paperwork there were 3 other parties looking at it. 
A used truck for $55k....what has this world come to. 

Just subscribed to The Athletic. $1 a month for the first six months, then $7.99 per month. 

Also traded in my 2018 F-150 XLT for a 2021 F-150 Lariat. OMG. Went from the 2.7 to the 3.5. Lots of bells and whistles. Love both purchases.

Nice truck! Weren’t you looking at some cool camper at that time too? I can’t remember the brand name, think it may have been German...  B)

Congratulations on your subscription to the Athletic!

(I don't know a thing about trucks)

[Image: be1z8wdz01sf.jpg]

OK. Which one did you do?

Quote: @"Kentis" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Just subscribed to The Athletic. $1 a month for the first six months, then $7.99 per month. 

Also traded in my 2018 F-150 XLT for a 2021 F-150 Lariat. OMG. Went from the 2.7 to the 3.5. Lots of bells and whistles. Love both purchases.

Nice truck! Weren’t you looking at some cool camper at that time too? I can’t remember the brand name, think it may have been German...  B)
Good memory! There was a pop-up manufacturer that I was looking at, but we might get a small Airstream now. Or maybe just rent a class B now and then.

Also traded in my 2018 F-150 XLT for a 2021 F-150 Lariat. OMG. Went from the 2.7 to the 3.5. Lots of bells and whistles.
Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
I'm waiting for the Ford Ranger Raptor. Only available in other countries now. Just want a smaller truck than the F150, but with the tough Raptor look. 

What about a Bronco? 
Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
i have a customer that has raced stock cars for over 30 years,  he knows power
Quote: @"BrickVike" said:
Just bought a 2017 GMC Acadia Denali for my wife to drive. 35,000 miles. Super clean. Feels like you are floating on the road compared to her Jeep. It has all the bells and whistles. 

Literally said " oh shit" when the twin turbo kicked in. 
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

I have a Honda Accord V6, which offers plenty of power. 
 I took my girlfriend to get her BMW back from the shop yesterday, and I was driving the loaner car they gave her and the thing was a beast (M340). 
Quote: @"HappyViking" said:

It's kind of a bigger CR-V, but shorter than the Pilot with the same V6.  
Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
 Have a 2006 Lexus GS350 AWD 
 The other is 2019 BMW X3: wife enjoys driving it in Sport mode. 
Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
And on trucks those MFers stopped making manual trucks. 2018 was the last year Ram made one. For 99% of yall its no big deal but pulling horse trailers through the mountains is much easier for this redneck with a manual. 

There was a pop-up manufacturer that I was looking at, but we might get a small Airstream now. Or maybe just rent a class B now and then.

[Image: 2we6ddbgv2wa.png]

Quote: @"savannahskol" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

Also traded in my 2018 F-150 XLT for a 2021 F-150 Lariat. OMG. Went from the 2.7 to the 3.5. Lots of bells and whistles.
Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
I'm waiting for the Ford Ranger Raptor. Only available in other countries now. Just want a smaller truck than the F150, but with the tough Raptor look. 

What about a Bronco? 
Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
i have a customer that has raced stock cars for over 30 years,  he knows power
Quote: @"BrickVike" said:
Just bought a 2017 GMC Acadia Denali for my wife to drive. 35,000 miles. Super clean. Feels like you are floating on the road compared to her Jeep. It has all the bells and whistles. 

Literally said " oh shit" when the twin turbo kicked in. 
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

I have a Honda Accord V6, which offers plenty of power. 
 I took my girlfriend to get her BMW back from the shop yesterday, and I was driving the loaner car they gave her and the thing was a beast (M340). 
Quote: @"HappyViking" said:

It's kind of a bigger CR-V, but shorter than the Pilot with the same V6.  
Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
 Have a 2006 Lexus GS350 AWD 
 The other is 2019 BMW X3: wife enjoys driving it in Sport mode. 
Quote: @"AGRforever" said:

There was a pop-up manufacturer that I was looking at, but we might get a small Airstream now. Or maybe just rent a class B now and then.

[Image: 2we6ddbgv2wa.png]
lol, this made me laugh