Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diabetes Makes You Racist

Quote: @"Nichelle" said:

It's just that simple.

Broadcaster makes racist comments at girls basketball team - New York Daily News (nydailynews.com)

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/...92897?s=20
That's as crazy as calling math racist.  

Oh wait......

The California education department is implementing a statewide math framework that promotes the concept that working to figure out a correct answer in math is an example of racism and white supremacy invading the classroom.
The framework, titled “A Pathway to Equitable Math Instruction: Dismantling Racism in Mathematics Instruction,” is intended to be “exercises for educators to reflect on their own biases to transform their instructional practice.”

The “Equitable Math” website states its training manual was funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the primary private source of funding for the Common Core State Standards.
“White supremacy culture infiltrates math classrooms in everyday teacher actions,” the document states. “Coupled with the beliefs that underlie these actions, they perpetuate educational harm on Black, Latinx, and multilingual students, denying them full access to the world of mathematics.”
The proposed California framework provides examples of how “white supremacy culture” has infiltrated math classes in schools:
  • Quote:The focus is on getting the “right” answer.
  • Quote:Independent practice is valued over teamwork or collaboration.
  • Quote:“Real-world math” is valued over math in the real world.
  • Quote:Students are tracked (into courses/pathways and within the classroom).
  • Quote:Participation structures reinforce dominant ways of being.
Additionally, the document asserts the means by which teachers assess student learning in math is based on white supremacy culture, as demonstrated by:
  • Quote:Students are required to “show their work.”
  • Quote:Grading practices are focused on lack of knowledge.
  • Quote:Language acquisition is equated with mathematical proficiency.

It's just that simple.

Broadcaster makes racist comments at girls basketball team - New York Daily News (nydailynews.com)

That's as crazy as calling physics racist. 

Oh wait.......

Physicists Need to Be More Careful with How They Name Things - Scientific American

Physicists Need to Be More Careful with How They Name ThingsThe popular term “quantum supremacy,” which refers to quantum computers outperforming classical ones, is uncomfortably reminiscent of “white supremacy”

It's just that simple.

That's as crazy as calling Shakespeare racist.  

Oh wait......
Shakespeare’s Globe, which works primarily out of a reconstruction of the iconic Globe Theatre built by William Shakespeare’s own playing company in the 1500s, suggested that the webinars, supported by Cambridge University Press, were an answer to its own rhetorical question: “What does it mean to read Shakespeare through an anti-racist lens?”
The theatre, which declared that it is “anti-racist and believes Black Lives Matter” in June last year, will put on the first webinar “to discuss issues of race and social justice in A Midsummer Night’s Dream” on May 20th, hosted by Farah Karim-Cooper.
Karim-Cooper, a professor of Shakespeare Studies at King’s College London who “curated the Globe’s first Shakespeare and Race Festival” in 2018, appears to have strong views on a variety of issues, expressing relief when Sadiq Khan was re-elected as Mayor of London and tweeting about “the inanity of Brexit” and “the monstrosity of Trump”, “white privilege”, “white male mediocrity”, and the “heavy hand of white supremacy” in academia, among other things.

Shakespeare’s Globe says its webinars “will attempt to show how Shakespeare’s society, his language and his theatres are preoccupied with race and racism”, but it has received pushback from those opposed to the so-called “decolonisation” of British culture and the removal, renaming, or “recontextualision” of various historic memorials, buildings, and places.
“Shakespeare’s Globe Theater ‘committed to decolonising’ his plays. They ‘will attempt to show’ how they are ‘preoccupied with race and racism’ (whether they are or not). Sounds like projection to me,” suggested Robert Poll, of the Save Our Statues campaign.
“[I]t’s the so-called “anti-racists” who are preoccupied with race, not the bard,” he accused.
Quote:They’re so fragile.
— Farah Karim-Cooper (@ProfFarahKC) May 16, 2021

I need your help here, Nichelle.  

I read an earlier thread where you and BigAl had significant STEM/"real world" complaints. 
Your issue was how hard it was to be taken seriously into a male-dominated field, with an advanced STEM degree. 
You didn't claim racism, but you intimated sexism.  AmIrite?  
BigAls issue was he went to a university with no "sizzle".  Discussion | VikeFans.com

Here's my dilemma:  
My daughter (white) is at a prestigious STEM university (GaTech)  ChemE/Pre-med major.  Average first year, Dean's list 2nd year.  On the ups!
She won't suffer racism in this unjust Amerikkkkkka (Purplefaithful will like that) .....but she may indeed suffer insufferable sexism.  (Loved your car in the car thread!) Discussion | VikeFans.com

Do I continue to support her STEM GaTech Chem E degree/pre-med?  Or advise her to shift to, say... women's studies?  

Quote: @"savannahskol" said:

I read an earlier thread where you and BigAl had significant STEM/"real world" complaints. 
Your issue was how hard it was to be taken seriously into a male-dominated field, with an advanced STEM degree. 
BigAls issue was he went to a university with no "sizzle".  Discussion | VikeFans.com

Here's my dilemma:  
My daughter (white) is at a prestigious STEM university (GaTech)  ChemE/Pre-med major.  Average first year, Dean's list 2nd year.  On the ups!
She won't suffer racism in this unjust Amerikkkkkka (Purplefaithful will like that) .....but she may indeed suffer insufferable sexism.  (Loved your car in the car thread!) Discussion | VikeFans.com

Do I continue to support her STEM GaTech Chem E degree/pre-med?  Or advise her to shift to, say... women's studies?  
Social justice is the most nobel path. 

Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
@"savannahskol" said:

Here's my dilemma:  

Easy on the “Nobel” talk.
Dean’s list isn’t THAT big a deal.  B)

@"AGRforever" said:
@"savannahskol" said:

Here's my dilemma:  

Easy on the “Nobel” talk.
Dean’s list isn’t THAT big a deal.  B)
Not sure that many Nobel were even on the deans list.

Here's my dilemma:  

You need my help? Do you really? Even as someone who was also on the Dean's list during college, I fail to see your actual question and the point (particularly after the posts above).

@"savannahskol" said:

Here's my dilemma:  

You need my help? Do you really? Even as someone who was also on the Dean's list during college, I fail to see your actual question and the point (particularly after the posts above).
After dozens of failed pursuits, I stopped chasing after Savvy's elusive points about two years ago.