Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speculated Watson trade to Vikings
Wasn't there a report recently that Watson would not waive his no trade clause for a trade to Minnesota? So there's that. 

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@pattersaur said:
Feels very far-fetched that anything like this trade would happen, but  I’ll play along- of course I’d do that exact deal right now. 

I like Barr more than most here and Mattison probably a little less, but both are expendable. I agree with @Jor-El it seems odd to even include them. If Houston actually wanted Mattison the Vikings would probably trade him to them straight up for a 4th right now.

As far as the picks, yeah it hurts losing them but I’d get over it. Considering we’d probably have to trade away a similar haul just to crack the top 5 and draft Justin Fields this year, I’d say getting the sure thing in Watson is a good move.

Plus, the year this trade hurts the most is in 2023 where we lose our 1st and 2nd picks, but you have 3 yrs before then to get one or both of those picks back.

I can’t figure out if this board is down on Watson or too high on Cousins but the gap between them is a lot wider in my mind than some are suggesting. Kirk is good. Watson is elite. 
I like Deshaun a lot, i'm just anti giving up a ton of early picks because our OL/DL is dogshit. This would mean we would either have to get lucky with later round OL prospects or get FA OL to sign with us in the offseason...both of those options don't happen to the Vikes very often.

At the end of the day we would have a highly paid good QB who continues to be pressured and sacked and we cant get back to the NFC Championship game. A lot of folks on here think Watson would be our savior but I dont think any QB this past season gets the Vikes more than 1 playoff win, not even Mahomes.
You're overreacting about our OL and our DL. The OL is 4/5ths built. They need a league average guard and they need some time together. Remember, three of those guys are in their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th seasons. I remember Korey Stringer didn't stop sucking until his 6th.

The DL was dogshit because we lost Danielle Hunter and MIchael Pierce, both of whom will be back in 2021. Why does everyone forget that? Sure we do need a 3T and someone who can at least rotate with Wonnum and Odenigbo at the other end. 

But here's the deal. Watson is 25 years old. He's been in the league for 4 seasons. He's made the Pro Bowl in 3 of those seasons. 5 years from now, this trade will be three years in the books and DeShaun Watson will be our 30 year old QB just entering his prime. That's why he's worth the moon. Ya gotta have a QB and I like Cousins, but he's not THAT kind of QB...and he's 7 years older. Watson would be the face of the franchise for the next decade. You could just take QB off your list for 10 years. That's worth A LOT. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@HappyViking said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Awful lot for a QB who took a team with the #4 D and arguably the best WR in the game to a wildcard round exit. 
This would be the other Texas team "Herscheling" the Vikes for a second time. 
Not sure how anyone can possibly see it that way. And I'm coming from the position of really liking Cousins as our QB. The Vikings are not giving up much here. A 29 year old linebacker we were prepared to move on from two years ago? And a BACKUP RB?  AND we keep our first rounder next year?  I think if/when the actual trade goes down we'll look at this trade scenario and laugh at how unfair it was....to the Texans. 
Fyi, its was written as 2x 1sts, 2x 2nds and the players from the Vikings as well as compensation from the 49ers. 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
Wasn't there a report recently that Watson would not waive his no trade clause for a trade to Minnesota? So there's that. 
That was speculation since we're a run-first offense. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@MaroonBells said:
@HappyViking said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Awful lot for a QB who took a team with the #4 D and arguably the best WR in the game to a wildcard round exit. 
This would be the other Texas team "Herscheling" the Vikes for a second time. 
Not sure how anyone can possibly see it that way. And I'm coming from the position of really liking Cousins as our QB. The Vikings are not giving up much here. A 29 year old linebacker we were prepared to move on from two years ago? And a BACKUP RB?  AND we keep our first rounder next year?  I think if/when the actual trade goes down we'll look at this trade scenario and laugh at how unfair it was....to the Texans. 
Fyi, its was written as 2x 1sts, 2x 2nds and the players from the Vikings as well as compensation from the 49ers. 

Right, but not our 1st in 2022. That's the real kicker here and what makes it seem woefully wanting on the Texans side. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@pattersaur said:
Feels very far-fetched that anything like this trade would happen, but  I’ll play along- of course I’d do that exact deal right now. 

I like Barr more than most here and Mattison probably a little less, but both are expendable. I agree with @Jor-El it seems odd to even include them. If Houston actually wanted Mattison the Vikings would probably trade him to them straight up for a 4th right now.

As far as the picks, yeah it hurts losing them but I’d get over it. Considering we’d probably have to trade away a similar haul just to crack the top 5 and draft Justin Fields this year, I’d say getting the sure thing in Watson is a good move.

Plus, the year this trade hurts the most is in 2023 where we lose our 1st and 2nd picks, but you have 3 yrs before then to get one or both of those picks back.

I can’t figure out if this board is down on Watson or too high on Cousins but the gap between them is a lot wider in my mind than some are suggesting. Kirk is good. Watson is elite. 
I like Deshaun a lot, i'm just anti giving up a ton of early picks because our OL/DL is dogshit. This would mean we would either have to get lucky with later round OL prospects or get FA OL to sign with us in the offseason...both of those options don't happen to the Vikes very often.

At the end of the day we would have a highly paid good QB who continues to be pressured and sacked and we cant get back to the NFC Championship game. A lot of folks on here think Watson would be our savior but I dont think any QB this past season gets the Vikes more than 1 playoff win, not even Mahomes.
You're overreacting about our OL and our DL. The OL is 4/5ths built. They need a league average guard and they need some time together. Remember, three of those guys are in their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th seasons. I remember Korey Stringer didn't stop sucking until his 6th.

The DL was dogshit because we lost Danielle Hunter and MIchael Pierce, both of whom will be back in 2021. Why does everyone forget that? Sure we do need a 3T and someone who can at least rotate with Wonnum and Odenigbo at the other end. 

But here's the deal. Watson is 25 years old. He's been in the league for 4 seasons. He's made the Pro Bowl in 3 of those seasons. 5 years from now, this trade will be three years in the books and DeShaun Watson will be our 30 year old QB just entering his prime. That's why he's worth the moon. Ya gotta have a QB and I like Cousins, but he's not THAT kind of QB...and he's 7 years older. Watson would be the face of the franchise for the next decade. You could just take QB off your list for 10 years. That's worth A LOT. 
I'm somewhat with you on the DL as I know it will be better with Hunter and Pierce back. I am concerned that we still dont have a viable option at the other DE spot. With the OL, we are going to have to pay O'Neill soon, Reiff may be gone, and Bradbury needs to show signs of consistent improvement. I dont have a lot of faith in our Front Office or coaches to "develop" any OL so like I said, I would rather have the picks at this point in time.

I'm not as high on Watson as many here.  He's a fantastic athlete, but it's not like he's won a bunch of big games.  Watson's team lost to Vikings last season.  I also don't believe the Vikes D will be fixed in a single off-season until I see it.  We have no clue how Hunter 's neck injury is, and how good Pierce is. 

If this trade happened, it'd be exciting, but it doesn't fix the weakest spots of the team.  The OL is still below average and D is still bad. 

The problem with this team isn't QB. Gutting the team and giving up all those picks for Watson when we have so many issues to fix on both the Oline and DLine makes zero sense. 

Is Watson really that much better? He isn't at the level of a Russel Wilson, or Aaron Rodgers when it comes to putting a team on his back and willing them to victory. Very few are and I don't think he is one of them. 

Watson:
2020 stats: 16 games | 70.2 pct | 4,823 pass yds | 8.9 ypa | 33 pass TD | 7 INT | 444 rush yds | 3 rush TD | 3 fumbles lost

Cousins:
2020 stats: 16 games | 67.2 pct | 4,265 pass yds | 8.3 ypa | 35 pass TD | 13 INT | 156 rush yds | 1 rush TD | 5 fumbles lost

Quote: @TBro said:
The problem with this team isn't QB. Gutting the team and giving up all those picks for Watson when we have so many issues to fix on both the Oline and DLine makes zero sense. 

Is Watson really that much better? He isn't at the level of a Russel Wilson, or Aaron Rodgers when it comes to putting a team on his back and willing them to victory. Very few are and I don't think he is one of them. 

Watson:
2020 stats: 16 games | 70.2 pct | 4,823 pass yds | 8.9 ypa | 33 pass TD | 7 INT | 444 rush yds | 3 rush TD | 3 fumbles lost

Cousins:
2020 stats: 16 games | 67.2 pct | 4,265 pass yds | 8.3 ypa | 35 pass TD | 13 INT | 156 rush yds | 1 rush TD | 5 fumbles lost

comparing stats from 2 different players in 2 different offenses, with different players around them, facing different opponents, playing a team game is about as useless as tooth brush in Green Bay.