Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DJ's first mock
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
DJ's second mock is now up....

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah...r-apparent

Hmm... I really don't see the Vikes doing that. Interesting though. No DTs taken is interesting too.

DJ's second mock is now up....

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah...r-apparent
There are picks I'd hate far more than this one. 

If Devante is there 14 I'm getting on the phone with everyone behind me because I think he could get us back our 2nd round pick. Maybe the Jags would do 25 and 45 for 14...or 25 and 65 for it

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
It's tough to hate a player of that caliber, but unless we go Howie on all our contracts and bring in a boatload of free agents, it's not a pick I would even consider. I'm all for BPA, but BPA among our needs. Best Smith could do right now is be a WR3 on a team that doesn't use one (fewest 3 WR sets in the NFL last year).  Looks good for the post-Thielen years, but what if he's a bust? If we bust on an OL or a DL, that's one thing. If we bust on a position we don't really need, that ain't go'n sit well. 

@"BarrNone55" said:
It's tough to hate a player of that caliber, but unless we go Howie on all our contracts and bring in a boatload of free agents, it's not a pick I would even consider. I'm all for BPA, but BPA among our needs. Best Smith could do right now is be a WR3 on a team that doesn't use one (fewest 3 WR sets in the NFL last year).  Looks good for the post-Thielen years, but what if he's a bust? If we bust on an OL or a DL, that's one thing. If we bust on a position we don't really need, that ain't go'n sit well. 
If one of the Alabama WR fall to the Vikings at 14, that could open the door for a trade back among other things. The Colts and Browns were both rumored to have offered a second round pick for Thielen before the trade deadline. Would they now offer pick 21 or 26 for Thielen or want to move up Smith or Waddle? Something to keep an eye. Would the Vikings take a first round pick for Thielen and use that opportunity to unload his 11M contract?

@"BarrNone55" said:
I would view this as tantamount to drafting Moss when we had Carter and Reed or AD when we had Taylor. You find a way. Smith could tilt the field. Plus, he could be used in the return game. Plus, you've got protection if Thielen misses time and his replacement. 

There's guys day 2 to fill G, DE, and DT. Regardless, Smith isn't sliding.

@MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
I would view this as tantamount to drafting Moss when we had Carter and Reed or AD when we had Taylor. You find a way. Smith could tilt the field. Plus, he could be used in the return game. Plus, you've got protection if Thielen misses time and his replacement. 

I'm not nearly the draftnik that some of you are, and I did see Smith go off this year. But I'm in the camp who's worried about his size in the NFL. Even if the Vikings don't share those concerns, RS drafts for need in the first round every year. So I don't see WR being the pick.
Trading back if the board fell this way would be great but it's always easier said than done. Especially in these covid-years. My guess is the Vikings would end up keeping the pick but passing on Smith. AVT or Paye seem likely, in DJ's scenario.

@MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

That was a vertical team that Moss went to. And Moss was a generational talent. If not for the off-field stuff, he would've gone about 3 days before the 1st round began. AD similar sort of thing. I remember being surprised he fell to 7, but not at all that we took him. 

Situations are different. Teams are in different places. Vikings have 3 or 4 holes. And if they can fill all or most of them with quality starters, this team will return to the playoffs. Don't think a guy like Smith does that. Just another guy who won't be getting the ball if we can't give Kirk time to throw. 

Gimme a WR in the 3rd or 4th round. 

@"BarrNone55" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

That was a vertical team that Moss went to. And Moss was a generational talent. If not for the off-field stuff, he would've gone about 3 days before the 1st round began. AD similar sort of thing. I remember being surprised he fell to 7, but not at all that we took him. 

Situations are different. Teams are in different places. Vikings have 3 or 4 holes. And if they can fill all or most of them with quality starters, this team will return to the playoffs. Don't think a guy like Smith does that. Just another guy who won't be getting the ball if we can't give Kirk time to throw. 

Gimme a WR in the 3rd or 4th round. 

Yup,  Zimmer and co have time to develop a Wr3 but not an online or pass rush,  if they don't fix the holes this year and make a strong resurgence they are done IMO,  and simply .along the playoffs isnt getting it done IMO,  they better be hosting a first round game at a minimum.

We are definitely a run first team, but when we do throw, I'd bet our average depth of target is up there.