Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IS IT TIME TO END THIS FORUM?
Jimmy as someone who travels around boards I can say it's more the time now. 

2021 may well put a highly unusual 2020 in hindsight. Hopefully??
This is thee most emotionally charged year I ever remember. At least in my adult life. That included 2 impeachments. Nixon was as a kid who cared less. I actually understand and think the emotional venting released on boards are important to a good many. Even if it's ugly at times.
Here I always used the 2 bookmarks approach anyhow.  One for the Longship and another for entertainment  Wink
I go to what I want to read. 
Unfortunately the football ain't been very entertaining in 2020 as well. 

I fully understand you's guys frustration.
 <3 

Personally, I would vote to keep it.  I primarily read PT for football content and it's nice to have the political stuff in a different area.  But, fine if you want to discard it too.  I read in other viking forums so not a big deal one way or the other.  I'll get viking news somewhere!

For the record,  Mike shut the ST board off a while back for a week or two and IIRC we didn't see any call outs for its removal except from a couple posters who rarely post on the football side.

This is a tough place to moderate and I don't have the time to do it right now as I am not fully retired, or I'd raise my hand for that thankless job...

I actually like having the ST board, I dont want to see it go. But it's a double edged sword no doubt:

• Emotions can run high, It's hard to argue that it doesnt in any way halo over to the regular football board
  • I'd hate to see this site become like some others that are dominated with politics among a very small, like minded base & some football smattered in

I wonder how many of the contentious posts are happening because we've all been cooped up inside for a year during a pandemic?  Add on an election where people from both sides weren't exactly civil.  Maybe we'll all get the vaccine soon and life will be normal.
Speaking of vaccines.  Does being a Viking fan make you high risk?  The emotional highs and lows have to add up over a lifetime don't they?

Doctor told me hypertension does put you in that catagory.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
If memory serves.....there was this wise poster.....handsome too if I remember correctly. I know charming for sure, I mean the guy just lit up the room. Anyway, he said a political board just doesn't work on a football forum. He got some flack for it, etc. But boy that guy sure was right. 

Anyone remember who that was by chance?
Charming though he may be, I don't agree that a political board can't work on a football forum. The problem is not so much about politics as it is about people communicating anonymously. 

About that, I went to a tailgate a few years ago and spent most of my time talking to a guy from Wisconsin. We hit it off completely. Just had the greatest conversation about Vikings, kids, fishing, everything. Turns out he was one of the pretty far-right conservatives on this board. He doesn't post here anymore, but when you meet someone, shake his hand, it's pretty hard to go back to your board and call him a go'damn idiot just because he might believe in smaller government and low taxes. 

I try to think about that if I end up in a scuffle. Just avoid the damn cat fights and realize that not every post has to be responded to. And, yes, I know I can do better with that, too. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
If memory serves.....there was this wise poster.....handsome too if I remember correctly. I know charming for sure, I mean the guy just lit up the room. Anyway, he said a political board just doesn't work on a football forum. He got some flack for it, etc. But boy that guy sure was right. 

Anyone remember who that was by chance?
Charming though he may be, I don't agree that a political board can't work on a football forum. The problem is not so much about politics as it is about people communicating anonymously. 

About that, I went to a tailgate a few years ago and spent most of my time talking to a guy from Wisconsin. We hit it off completely. Just had the greatest conversation about Vikings, kids, fishing, everything. Turns out he was one of the pretty far-right conservatives on this board. He doesn't post here anymore, but when you meet someone, shake his hand, it's pretty hard to go back to your board and call him a go'damn idiot just because he might believe in smaller government and low taxes. 

I try to think about that if I end up in a scuffle. Just avoid the damn cat fights and realize that not every post has to be responded to. And, yes, I know I can do better with that, too. 
So true...So much can change once you're with someone face/face and find commonalities - like supporting a team that drives its fan base nuts. 

@ VF we've have had a # of tailgates and BBQ's over the years. Between that and covering TC's with Olson and Tom, I got to meet many posters too. I  now see some of them are (far, far) right and don't post here anymore either. We sure as hell wouldn't agree on anything politically. But that human interaction at the time? such a difference from the mouse, keyboard and monitor. 

Is it time to end the discussion about ending the forum?? Or as Zimmer would say, 'It isn't time to not talk about ending the forum'. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Is it time to end the discussion about ending the forum?? Or as Zimmer would say, 'It isn't time to not talk about ending the forum'. 
I was going to give it a week to see if any compelling pleas were made.  You know,  due process.