Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reiff approached about pay cut
Quote: @"PurpleCrush" said:
If he does get cut, I wonder if that frees up enough space to revisit contract talks with Cook.
My best guess is they are willing to let Cook go.  To me we went with Yannick with the remaining dollars available and plan to move forward signing him after this season.  I honestly think this is the best plan.  You generally need at least $5 million to go into a season with.   Could see a guard deal pop up yet.  Essentially this is what the deal is: 

We get:
Ngakoue
Draft Pick 2022 (for Cook) - likely a 3rd

We give up
-ability to sign Cook
2nd (2021)  - then a 3rd, 4th or 5th  in 2022 (in a draft that be very questionable

I'd much rather see him restructure here than to see the Vikings cut him. Hopefully they can work something out.

Quote: @"Kmerry82" said:
@"PurpleCrush" said:
If he does get cut, I wonder if that frees up enough space to revisit contract talks with Cook.
My best guess is they are willing to let Cook go.  To me we went with Yannick with the remaining dollars available and plan to move forward signing him after this season.  I honestly think this is the best plan.  You generally need at least $5 million to go into a season with.   Could see a guard deal pop up yet.  Essentially this is what the deal is: 

We get:
Ngakoue
Draft Pick 2022 (for Cook) - likely a 3rd

We give up
-ability to sign Cook
2nd (2021)  - then a 3rd, 4th or 5th  in 2022 (in a draft that be very questionable
You mean in 2021? There's no way they release Cook this year. #1, he's under contract through this season. #2, with Diggs gone, he is the player the offense revolves around. 

I think they release Reiff, restructure one or two other contracts (Rudy? Harry?) and extend Cook at some point this season. 

Since Reiff would be a post June 1 cut, that $11 million we'd get back would essentially put the team back at where they were cap wise prior to the trade. I could see Rick looking at that with eyes wide open.

At practice now, no Reiff. O'Neill at LT, Rashod Hill at RT with the first team. Keep in mind, Hill was taking a vet day yesterday when Udoh got his run at RT with the ones so this will probably be the starters for game 1 if Reiff is gone. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
At practice now, no Reiff. O'Neill at LT, Rashod Hill at RT with the first team. Keep in mind, Hill was taking a vet day yesterday when Udoh got his run at RT with the ones so this will probably be the starters for game 1 if Reiff is gone. 
Probably so. Hill has more experience, but I wouldn't be surprised if Udoh takes over there at some point this season. Hill seems to be better at left tackle than right tackle. 

What could possibly go wrong with this plan?  Glad we’ve never had OLine trouble before and
that we feel confident in all the other players on the line.

I hope they really like someone rather than just trying to
cut costs to fit in Yannick.  I trust our
D to make due with less talent so much more than I trust our offense.

If we miss the playoffs on the back of a broken OLine after
cutting our 2nd and 3rd best linemen and plugging in 3
nobodies … I feel like that would burn through all the rest of my good will and
might get me off sports for good.

While I don't like the idea of cutting Reiff, there is logic to it. The Vikings would still have depth at OT with O'Neill, Hill, Udoh, & Cleveland. Reiff has been solid, but not great, & paying LT money for a solid guard is hard to justify. I do worry about depth and injuries & the biggest concern that I have is whether both guard spots can solidify. If they do, then the move is OK, but if the guards struggle like they could, then cutting Reiff may look like a dumb move. I do feel this would have happened regardless of Ngakoue, but the trade forced the issue.

I am totally taking a wait and see approach on the OL. No expectations whatsoever because of the continued fumbling around to get a group together that will actually work.

[Image: yndzqvixy5n3.gif]