Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Face Masks...
I notice these are all huge corporations with lobbyists and likely did very well while small businesses went bankrupt.

Quote: @"greediron" said:
I notice these are all huge corporations with lobbyists and likely did very well while small businesses went bankrupt.
Did you see Morgan Stanley's latest performance score-card? The rich are absolutely getting richer these days. 

Back to face-masks; I will bet a princely sum the state of MN will mandate indoor face-masks soon.

Like his CA counterpart, Waltz is data driven and 3 of the 5 key covid metrics in MN are trending the wrong way right now. Thats just the back-drop that would precipitate a mask mandate.

We can argue till Jimmy's cows come home whether that would do diddly or not.  

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"greediron" said:
Did you see Morgan Stanley's latest performance score-card? The rich are absolutely getting richer these days. 

Back to face-masks; I will bet a princely sum the state of MN will mandate indoor face-masks soon.

Like his CA counterpart, Waltz is data driven and 3 of the 5 key covid metrics in MN are trending the wrong way right now. Thats just the back-drop that would precipitate a mask mandate.

some of Jimmys cows went to the locker today... they wont be coming home... well not in the traditional sense anyway.

as far as the masks,  I am finding more medical professionals questioning their effectiveness against the virus itself,  but they all say that if they help ease peoples anxiety over this issue then that is a good thing.   I am sure that the masks provide more of a barrier than no mask,  but its still an issue of good diet,  healty lifestyle, proper sanitary habits and social distancing IMO more than a piece of hankie over somebodies face.  I will say I am so ready for the fucking finger pointing to be over with already.  If either side had a clue or gave a fuck about us aside from our vote and our taxes we wouldnt be at each others throats as much as we are these days.

@"greediron" said:

If the numbers for Minnesota are getting worse, why not mandate face masks, considering if you look at the Epistemological data, widespread mask adoption in countries and states (culturally or government mandated) have lowered death rates.

New York was hit the hardest to start this thing, got a handle on it, and comparatively to other states has been doing very well.  States that have not implemented wearing masks (Until recently), numbers through the roof.  Governor of Georgia just nixed the mask mandate, good luck Georgia, it’s going to get ugly.

I don’t get why people just can’t do a simple thing and put a mask on when out.  Is it that hard?  Does it impinge on your freedoms that much?  Is it possible to sacrifice a little of your ego today for our collective good?  American’s have a sad addiction to their “freedoms”, it’s short sighted and arrogant.

The longer this lasts, the worst the economy will be, the less effective the bailout becomes, and more detrimental inflation will be.   Millions of mortgages fucked, housing dead (the lifeblood of the US economy FYI), 20 million evicted, Farms lost and consolidated,\15 million unemployed, with what saving grace?  What magic bullet?  It doesn’t exist.  People have no idea of what is coming, as long as this lingers, the worst it will get

or is NY not looking so bad, because they looked so bad early on and their population just has less people carrying it around now since so many were already exposed?  remember the plan of the quarrantine wasnt to prevent the spread,  it was to slow the spread until either a vaccine was found,  or herd immunity was established without over running our medical facilities.  For the most part that worked,  every where except NY and other limited isolated areas.  Also,  if NY and a few other states hadnt stored covid patients with the most vulnerable (the elderly) it wouldnt have been as deadly either.

I think we can learn a lot by looking at NY,  both good and bad.   The numbers in NY now suggest that herd immunity is potentially real,  the fact that once they got their shit together they were able to get a handle on this thing without it becoming a black flag of doom for the entire area is a good thing,  we also need to look at the failures and recognize them so they arent duplicated in other areas going forward.

either way,  areas that arent seeing the huge upswings need to keep pushing forward,  maybe not full throttle, throw caution to the wind like some dumb asses are,  but we still need to be working to get back that new norm that we talked about instead of always playing defense against this thing.

Quote: @"Skodin" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"greediron" said:

If the numbers for Minnesota are getting worse, why not mandate face masks, considering if you look at the Epistemological data, widespread mask adoption in countries and states (culturally or government mandated) have lowered death rates.

New York was hit the hardest to start this thing, got a handle on it, and comparatively to other states has been doing very well.  States that have not implemented wearing masks (Until recently), numbers through the roof.  Governor of Georgia just nixed the mask mandate, good luck Georgia, it’s going to get ugly.

I don’t get why people just can’t do a simple thing and put a mask on when out.  Is it that hard?  Does it impinge on your freedoms that much?  Is it possible to sacrifice a little of your ego today for our collective good?  American’s have a sad addiction to their “freedoms”, it’s short sighted and arrogant.

The longer this lasts, the worst the economy will be, the less effective the bailout becomes, and more detrimental inflation will be.   Millions of mortgages fucked, housing dead (the lifeblood of the US economy FYI), 20 million evicted, Farms lost and consolidated,\15 million unemployed, with what saving grace?  What magic bullet?  It doesn’t exist.  People have no idea of what is coming, as long as this lingers, the worst it will get

Yup, the longer this keeps going? To this degree? That's a really bad thing anyway you want to slice it. 

Back to MN and (any state) with mandatory indoor masks, I think what you do in higher density counties could vary vs lower density/rural ones. Not sure that would be part of policy though. 

What to make of the uptick in the fudging of numbers.  Looks like Florida and Ohio both have some questions that need answering.  And don't forget, the uptick in cases is just that, cases.  Not deaths, not hospitalizations, but positive cases.  And if the test numbers aren't accurate, even that is skewed.  Dramatic increase in testing is going to lead to more cases overall and a percentage is going to be positive.  But if they aren't leading to hospitalization, what is the issue.  More positives mean we are approaching herd immunity.

There is no such thing as herd immunity - at least proven herd immunity.

There is no science (that I am aware of) that says once you get Covid-19 you wont get it again. Let aloner how long the presences of anti-bodies means any kind of resistance. 

Quote: @"greediron" said:
What to make of the uptick in the fudging of numbers.  Looks like Florida and Ohio both have some questions that need answering.  And don't forget, the uptick in cases is just that, cases.  Not deaths, not hospitalizations, but positive cases.  And if the test numbers aren't accurate, even that is skewed.  Dramatic increase in testing is going to lead to more cases overall and a percentage is going to be positive.  But if they aren't leading to hospitalization, what is the issue.  More positives mean we are approaching herd immunity.
Ask the Houston Medical community if they aren't seeing an uptick in hospitalizations....Or the 39 counties in the state of Tx that are ordering more cooled storage trailers for...Not ice cubes. 

That said, we always need to scrutinize the #'s and look at the big pix. I just hope the data remains available to the public and isn't vaulted away by the Feds until the election is over. 

There is no such thing as herd immunity - at least proven herd immunity.

There is no science (that I am aware of) that says once you get Covid-19 you wont get it again. Let aloner how long the presences of anti-bodies means any kind of resistance. 
herd immunity is still a topic to be discussed,  it may not mean lifetime immunity,  but it does look like there is short term immunity,  especially for those that are harder hit when they get it.  Regardless,  there is also talk that not every person is susceptible to the virus so that may be a silver lining if herd immunity isnt long term viable.

those areas seeing up ticks now and areas that havent had outbreaks is part of the long term plan of this thing,  there is no way to maintain the levels of shut down that we used this spring in most places to keep it suppressed.   Neither the economy nor society would accept that kind of isolation,  what we are seeing now is going to be the new norm,  it will flare in areas causing those areas to temporarily suppress social activities, and then once its under control things will loosen up again.  its going to be whack a mole.