Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Doesn't Sound Like Cousins Is Interested In A Hometown Discount
Quote: @StickyBun said:
So now we are potentially mad at him because he won't take a discount? Seems odd. He knows his value, can't blame him one iota. I mean, he's really already set his family up for generational wealth. 
Guess the conversion van needs a new set of tires...  Wink  B)

Quote: @JR44 said:
@FSUVike said:
@JR44 said:
So we are okay with mediocrity at the position?  In two years we have beaten 3 teams with winning records.  Our last QB, Case, beat 6 in one season.  It's not about a QB who looks like the prototype QB when he is standing in the pocket, it's about a QB who actually can run out of the pocket and do what it takes to win a football game.  This team needs to take a page from KC when they were in a similar position with Alex Smith and made an aggressive more to get their QB of the future.  
Yes, it was all about the greatness of Case. Who will be on his his 3rd team in 3 years...

Lol!  So I state that Case had twice as many wins against teams with winning records in 1 year than Cousins has had in two and somehow you think that is a legit argument??  You think Cousins would not have been on to his 3rd team in 3 years if his contract was not guaranteed?  You can't blame it on the OL, cause it was actually worse when Case played and Case actually didn't have Cook, so I can see why you have to reach for something with no basis to it.  
Fact: Cousins had better numbers this year than Case has ever had, without his best receiver for much of the year. Fact: Keenum is on his, and soon to be 7th team but is only 1 year older than Kirk. Fact: a coach that nearly won 2 of the last 5 Superbowls wanted (and allegedly still wants) Cousins. Fact: Bill Polian (HOF GM) said QBs of Kirk's caliber hit Free Agency once in a generation. Fact: They both beat the Saints in the Playoffs, but one did it on the road with a much weaker Defense.

But what do facts have to do with anything? I'll give you some reality instead. Case Keenum will not be a Starting QB in the League except for injury next year. Why? Because the League figured out he was a 1 Hit Wonder. 

[Image: USeUv4J0_bigger.jpg]
If Ryan Tannehilll gets $29.5M per year (4-yr., $118M) w/$62M+ in guarantees, you can forget about Dak settling for $33M annually.. If 1/2 a season of good play gets you almost $30M, a solid 4-year run as a starter is gonna command significantly more money..

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
[Image: USeUv4J0_bigger.jpg]
If Ryan Tannehilll gets $29.5M per year (4-yr., $118M) w/$62M+ in guarantees, you can forget about Dak settling for $33M annually.. If 1/2 a season of good play gets you almost $30M, a solid 4-year run as a starter is gonna command significantly more money..

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1239258439211253761

Step #1 to negotiating an extension with Kirk was a new CBA, which has now happened. Prior to that an extension was worthless for both sides since the Vikings couldn't open up much cap space in 2020. Not easily at least. So any past talks are all preliminary.  

But I have reasons to believe all the talks haven't been negative. Not to say anything is close, but contract structure is a bigger negotiating point since Kirk's guaranteed money this year really limits any leverage the Vikings have. 

Trade up and draft a QB and surround him with talent especially on the OL

Quote: @mblack said:
Who would you target in this scenario? 

Quote: @mblack said:
I dont think we have the ammo to do both,  our cap money will dry up pretty quickly this year just filling existing holes with decent talent.  We need our draft picks to add future talent at cheaper prices so we wont be dependent on over priced free agents.

I agree with taking a QB but I think for this year we need to be looking to fix the OL and interior DL early and then go looking for a better QB in the mid rounds and the next 2 drafts.  Hurts in the late third might provide something to build on otherwise an all in for a top tier guy next year and sign a journeyman to carry him the first year.

I think these positions like QB, OT, that are demanding premium pay need to be what we target in the draft,   keeping those positions stocked with affordable talented guys will allow for spending a little more at the other positions where there seems to be more separation in talent vs the money spent.