Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Coronavirus
Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
My girlfriend works at a cancer center. Yesterday was her turn to pre-screen everyone entering the building. I think it gets worse before it gets better. But, it's almost April.
No doubt it will get worse before it gets better. But even if we get to the point where half of the globe is infected, and say the death rate even doubles to 5%, after a month or two of this, people will come to realize that living with CV is just a new normal--that 95% of the people who get it recover, that life goes on, as do baseball games, bake sales, business travel and bar mitzvahs, albeit with understood precautions that everyone will understand. And that's when we will all start to feel a little better about our bloodied 401Ks. 

If not, I'm moving to Boulder with Mother Abagail. :-)

I guess it's that 98% survival rate if you get it that has me worried.... Wink

Corona, SARS, West-Nile, Avian Bird Flu, Swine Flu, Ebola, the Damn mosquito-borne virus thingy.....
Still waiting for one of these things to kill me, but DAMMIT....

Take away a man's toilet paper, and there really is no reason to live

[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcR07a8nUimSo5ZECL8eT...AtSiupzTTs]

Quote: @"Vanguard83" said:
Corona, SARS, West-Nile, Avian Bird Flu, Swine Flu, Ebola, the Damn mosquito-borne virus thingy.....
Still waiting for one of these things to kill me, but DAMMIT....

Take away a man's toilet paper, and there really is no reason to live

[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcR07a8nUimSo5ZECL8eT...AtSiupzTTs]
[Image: the-sky-is-8d3a95c77c.jpg]

So I was one of the assholes that went and bought extra stuff but I did it a month or longer ago.  I figured it would be helpful to not need to go into a store as often if the SHTF....but with our tornado I've given most of it away to the victims.  Alls I know is I'm going to be pissed if I can't wipe my ass!!!!

Quote: @"pattersaur" said:
@"Skodin" said:
@"pattersaur" said:
I've been washing my hands more lately, that's for sure. I had some tentative travel plans for mid-April to the Bay Area as well actually, that I don't think I'll be making. Other than that I'm just hoping for the best for everyone.
It will be a great day when this disease-- and the fears around it-- pass.
and the vile permission and promotion of wet markets, especially ones that contain rare live wildlife

Yeah. There are so many cultural differences that I don't understand and I'm not super informed on this topic to begin with, but I did read China announced they're shutting these markets down again. They shut it down previously for SARS but then reopened it. If this is the global consequence for eating rare live animals, then hopefully people can find something else to snack on.

I read something about the researchers from Wuhan Institute of Virology selling lab animals to the food market.  Tell me that isn't messed up in 100 different ways.

March madness will be held without fans.

Warriors vs Nets on Thursday will be played without fans.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"kmillard" said:
i am headed to brussels in two weeks unless they shut down all air travel. 
Everyone just turn off the news for a month and all will be fine.
I don't think you are going to make it to Brussels.....for example, Norwegian Air has cancelled 3000 flights until mid June internationally. Its going to get worse before it gets better.

A top Department of Homeland Security official says US travel restrictions to Europe are 'under discussion'
(CNN) — Acting Homeland Security Deputy Secretary Ken Cuccinelli said on Wednesday that coronavirus travel restrictions for Europe are under discussion. 
"The question is a live question, congressman, about how to treat Europe as a whole. You've seen Department of State and CDC warnings go up. That is not to the level of using legal authorities to block travel yet, but it is under discussion," he told lawmakers during a congressional hearing.Cuccinelli pointed out that Europe presents a "unique problem," because the Schengen Zone -- which allows for free moveent throughout European Union countries -- creates a region where "they don't have border for the purposes of travel." He added that there are 29 countries with which to contend. 
He questioned whether it "even makes sense" to treat Italy as a unitary entity and said the Italian government is conducting exit testing for travelers on direct flights to the US. 
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/11/politics/...index.html

University of Minnesota cancels in-person classes due to coronavirusIn an unprecedented move, the University of Minnesota announced Wednesday it’s canceling all in-person classes across all five of its campuses, moving to online classes starting Monday due to concerns over the coronavirus outbreak.
The U, which has nearly 63,000 undergraduate and graduate students across the five campuses, is the first and largest of Minnesota’s universities and colleges to move classes online so students and staff can continue to participate from home and minimize group contact due to the outbreak. The U’s online-only classes will continue until at least April 1
http://www.startribune.com/university-of...568707692/