Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Capers now on board
Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
The Dom may sprinkle in a few wrinkles of a 3/4 look but I'd be shocked as hell if this is a pre-cursor to an all out shift in scheme. 

I think he's hired cause he needed something to do for a year or so...

Or maybe Zimmer wants to get out of the defensive weeds a bit and be more of a HC than DC?  Ok, that's not entirely what I meant but you know what I meant...

I can't recall a coaching staff where there are as many cooks in the kitchen as Zimsu has put together - on both sides of the ball.

The optimist says "great, loads of experience!"

The pessimist says "too many cooks spoil the broth & give each other black eyes"

Counting Zim, that's now 4 people involved with coming up with a weekly defensive game plan.  If Zim is stepping back a bit, which of the three gives the sign-off...Andre, Dom or the kid?

Kevin Gibride just looked up.

#Vikings coach Mike Zimmer on bringing in Dom Capers: "We've been running this defense for a long, long time'' and Zimmer wanted to "get some fresh ideas.''

#Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said there's nothing decided yet on who will call defensive plays this season and if anything could be turned over to co-defensive coordinators Andre Patterson and Adam Zimmer. That will be looked at in the spring.

Zimmer said the Vikings are "still in the process" of determining who will call defensive plays, a role he's had in Minnesota since 2014. It's something they'll work through in the spring before determining how it'll shake out. "I can always call the plays but we’ll just see how

[Image: w0x3SLVP_bigger.jpg]
Zim on whether Capers' role is similar to Kubiak last year: "It will be similar, a lot of the same things. Gary had a little more input on terminology and things like that... an overseer, an idea person...like a consultant "

[Image: vaAU5_M9_normal.jpg]
DIGGS
@stefondiggs
· 44m
Tired of the cap... lol

Diggs dogging Capers already. What a tool!

Wink

One other thing to keep in mind: Capers can ALSO help the offense, by sharing his thoughts on what teams have done to successfully defend against the 3-4.  My memory isn't what it used to be... but, somewhere in my mind, I am thinking that the 3-4 has given our offense troubles over the years.  Anyone else remember it that way?

It’s more about just having another set of eyes in there, you see things, and also being able to say ‘hey, we used to run this pressure, what do you think about this?’or as we’re putting the defensive package together, being able to discuss different things and go from there."

We've definitely been short one set of eyes.

[Image: vILguSrd_bigger.jpg]
Mike Zimmer said at the end of the season he wrote down that he wanted to bring in another defensive coach in a consultant-type role. That's what led him to Dom Capers. "There’s some things that he’s done that intrigue me that I’d like to know more about.