Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Placeholder for QB Prospects
Quote: @pattersaur said:
@JimmyinSD said:
I heard an interesting take the other day.  Roll the dice and trade away this years first rounder to perennial bottom feeder that is in rebuild mode (think the bengals)  for their first next year and then hope that we have either the first overall for next year or at least the draft capital to move into position to take Lawrence or who ever steps up as the best QB in the draft.

It wouldn't happen but that certainly made me think why we dont see more long term planning like that with picks. 

I've been suggesting this as an option as well. If the Vikings don't extend Cousins and also don't like this year's QB crop, then trading away either this year's first or this year's second for a better pick next year should absolutely be on the table.
Trading one pick away isn't "tanking". In this instance, it might be really smart.

Sadly, unless RS gets extended there's no way he'll do this though.
honestly though when the team is doing good is when they should be using that approach imo because they dont have to worry about selling tickets.  I think they would likely still be safe to try it this year,  but like you said,  with Trader Rick on his last leg, that would probably require to big of stones.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@FSUVike said:
It's logic, Maroon. Plain, simple logic. How many Power 5 Conference QBs are Starters vs. from other schools? Way more. So a dearth of mid-round prospects from those schools leaves you mining the rest of the schools that have collectively provided far fewer success stories. Ergo, this Class has a measurable statistical chance of being less likely to produce a Starter than other years.

Now to be perfectly clear we're talking about projecting how human beings will perform, perhaps the most inexact science there is. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if a mid-round kid from a smaller school or conference develops into a Starter. It's just statistically that much harder to predict whom that will be than it is when there are Power 5 kids in the discussion.

Prospect  A: 4 Star Recruit. Power 5 School. Inconsistent performance against Top 20 Schools that have some draftable talent on Defense (and in some cases they're playing against Defenses loaded with NFL talent). Prospect has warts (measurables or poor stats or wonky mechanics).

Prospect B: 2 Star Recruit, non-Power 5 School. Put up good but not great numbers. Played some teams that didn't have a single kid on Defense who's going to make it to the League. Faced a few teams (Power 5 or otherwise) with some draftable talent and had mixed results. Prospect also has warts.

I'm personally picking Prospect A far more often than B. There just aren't many who fit that description this year. And I don't trust Rick to figure out which guy in Prospect B pool has the best chance for success. Use that pick for competition at a position of need and look to the next Draft for a QB to develop.
It's just too early to make any kind of declarative statement about this QB class. Trust me, it's going to change a lot in the next 3 months. There are going to be players who emerge as viable middle rounders. It just always happens. Remember last year? Someone on this board ranted about there being zero chance Greg Little drops out of the top 10. He went in the 2nd round. This time 3 years ago, Deshon Kizer was at the top of most QB rankings and Patrick Mahomes was nowhere to be found. This time 8 years ago, Ryan Mallett was a top 10 pick and Colin Kaepernick was a 7th round pick. This time 7 years ago, Matt Barkley was a top 10 pick. 

I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, just that it's too early to make that kind of statement with any sort of confidence. 

More of a personal observation of mine than paying attention to the hyperbole from the media. I wanted this to be the year when it made sense to spend a 2nd or 3rd or 4th on a true developmental QB prospect instead of mining the UDFA crop.

But I'm not seeing anyone I like. And I didn't realize there would be so many holes to fill. I kinda like Hurts, but he was terrible against LSU. And likely goes late 2nd/early 3rd. Rather spend the picks on LT/LG, 3T and CB. Safety gets added if they can't re-sign Harris. CB might need 2 picks depending on FA. Just not a good set of circumstances in which to find that true developmental QB this Draft.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@MarkSP18 said:
I will defend Matt Miller here about Wilson.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1146711-matt-millers-final-2012-nfl-draft-big-board#slide1

He has #102 overall but, to prove the people who are critical of him could be right, he had Cousins as the #3 QB that year.  Oof.

He had Prescott #97 overall after the 2016 combine.  Could not see his final but Prescott probably is in the same area.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2625340-2016-nfl-draft-big-board-matt-millers-top-400-overall-players#slide4

Anthony Gordon could be an interesting pick.  But only weighing 199 pounds is not going to help.  But Wilson only weighed 204 so maybe.
I like Matt Miller a lot, but how is this defending him about his stance on Russell Wilson?  He has him as the 7th best QB prospect behind Ryan Tannehill, Brandon Weeden, and Brock Osweiler...  now if he had it Luck, RGIII, Cousins, and Wilson...  then I would agree he was higher on him than most.  But he didn't...

Same thing with Prescott...  he has two colossal busts ranked ahead of him in Paxton Lynch and Christian Hackenberg.  I guess I don't see where he had those two evaluations correct pre-draft?
The thing I was pointing out is that he did have those two ranked right around the start of round 4.  Both mid-round QBs.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
The 2020 quarterback class feels like one in which the order is mostly set—Burrow, Tua, Love/Herbert, Jacob Eason from Washington and then Jake Fromm of Georgia. There's a good chance we see all six drafted in the top 50 selections.
In talking to scouts this week, there is a strong feeling that demand will drive up the value of the supply. Take Fromm, for example. There are scouts who believe the Georgia quarterback's football IQ and experience will impress teams enough that they'll overlook a largely average career statistically at Georgia.
You could poke holes in every quarterback prospect in this class—Burrow's inexperience, Tua's injuries, decision-making from Herbert, Love and Eason—but the simple fact that so many teams need a 2020 starter or quarterback of the future is likely to drive value up.
When asked for a prediction, one personnel executive said five quarterbacks will be drafted in the top 15 picks.
The bad news about potentially six quarterbacks being drafted in the top 50 picks is that there isn't much depth after that. Oklahoma's Jalen Hurts struggled all week and was seen as maybe the next-best option at quarterback.
On my current big board, there are six quarterbacks in the top 60, but after that, the next quarterback is Hurts at No. 130 overall and then Cole McDonald from Hawaii at No. 185. This lack of quarterback depth in the middle rounds is why we could see aggressive moves from teams to come up the board to take a passer.
This isn't a year to hold off until Round 2 or 3 to get a quarterback you can develop. There's no Dak Prescott or Russell Wilson waiting in this class. If you need a quarterback, you'll be drafting one early
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2872...ce=cnn.com&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral
It is WAY too early to make claims that 5 QBs will go in the top 15. Compared to past years, I don't believe the demand will be there. It's also ridiculous to sell high risk/high upside players short by inferring they won't be Dak or Russell.  

Quote: @FSUVike said:

Prospect  A: 4 Star Recruit. Power 5 School. Inconsistent performance against Top 20 Schools that have some draftable talent on Defense (and in some cases they're playing against Defenses loaded with NFL talent). Prospect has warts (measurables or poor stats or wonky mechanics).
A guy who fits this description (except he was a 3-star recruit):  Nate Stanley from Iowa.

The positive: 3 year starter in a pro-style offense at a P5 school.  Big body, big arm, will stand in the pocket rather than see ghosts and bail.  Can make every throw.
Negative: Can also miss every throw.  Slightly more mobile than Kirk Ferentz, but it's close. Never had a big game against any ranked team.  TD total crashed in '19.

Projection:  I've seen anything from 3rd round to undrafted.

The Athletic's Dane Brugler writes that Oregon QB Justin Herbert "has the tendency to leave you wanting more with his inconsistent reads and decisions.""While [Herbert] is highly intelligent, that doesn’t always translate to on-field processing speed for him — at quarterback, being book smart is great, but you need quick-minded players, and he isn’t always that," Brugler writes, adding that "you would rather have a 'Jeopardy' champion at quarterback than a 4.0 student." The 6-foot-6, 237-pound Oregon signal-caller did show out very well for the Senior Bowl week last month, we should note, and even with his concerns (there is no Teflon prospect), Brugler ranks Herbert as his No. 3 quarterback for the spring draft, noting that "Herbert is a dynamic dual-threat passer with an elite combination of size, athleticism and arm talent," albeit one whose evaluation is less than clean in some areas.
SOURCE: The Athletic

OU QB Jalen Hurts is a fun player to study. He’s a playmaker. His feet don’t always follow his eyes in the pocket & he needs to improve his anticipation. However, he does some incredibly athletic things in every game. https://instagram.com/p/B8bqMFGBO4s/?igshid=zy59knw2i2um…

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/tua...-nfl-draft

I know the chances of it happening are sub-zero, but there's almost no price the Vikings could pay to move up and draft Tua that I'd be mad about.
One thing I thought of-- Assuming he's not extended before the draft, could Rick trading up for a QB actually buy him an extra year on the job? Say Rick drafts a QB who sits behind Kirk all season, would the Wilfs keep Rick on for one more year so that he can at least see how "his guy" does?
Not that I'm advocating for Rick reaching for a QB just to -possibly- save his own skin for one extra season, but it's one of those plans that's so crazy it might actually work (...for Rick. For the Vikings... who knows).