Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kubiak new OC
Gary, then Klint? Pleased for the continuity, but concerned for Kubes being able to handle the position long term.

The Vikings’ search for a new offensive coordinator ended with them giving play-calling duties to the man coach Mike Zimmer has called “the best thing that’s ever happened to me” in Minnesota.
In a widely-expected move, the team is making assistant head coach Gary Kubiak its new offensive coordinator to replace Kevin Stefanski, who became the Browns head coach last week. Kubiak, who won a Super Bowl title as the Broncos’ head coach after the 2015 season, will be an offensive coordinator for the third time in his career after holding the title in Denver from 1995-05 and Baltimore in 2014.
The Vikings brought Kubiak to Minnesota before the 2019 season, making his son Klint the quarterbacks coach and two of his longtime assistants — Rick Dennison and Brian Pariani — the offensive line and tight ends coaches, respectively. The team revamped its offense around many of the principles Kubiak had used during his career as an offensive coordinator and head coach, putting Kirk Cousins under center for 70% of his snaps and employing heavier personnel groups to facilitate Kubiak’s outside zone running scheme. The Vikings finished eighth in the league in points and 16th in yards (after landing 19th and 20th in those categories the year before), and Cousins posted the best numbers of his career while averaging eight fewer pass attempts a game than he did in his first season with the team.
Kubiak, 58, stayed behind the scenes during the 2019 season, declining interview requests, but with the team at 7-3 before they faced the Broncos in November, Zimmer made his comments about how much of a benefit Kubiak had been to him.
“I love the way his offense is, the way the scheme is, the things that he’s seen over the years running the offense,” Zimmer said in November. “Gary told me when he came, one of the things that was important for him was, he wants to keep the offense moving that way. For him to be able to come in and mentor a young coordinator was really important. To me, that’s about talking about your particular scheme and making sure that carries on in the future. I think that part was as important to me as anything.”
After Stefanski left, Zimmer said he wanted the Vikings’ offensive scheme to remain the same as it had been in 2019, and retaining Kubiak should give the Vikings some of the continuity they’ve lacked on offense. He will be their fifth offensive coordinator since Zimmer became head coach in 2014, but his promotion should represent the first time the Vikings have kept the same scheme and terminology while switching coordinators.
http://www.startribune.com/viking-coach-...567232592/

Sticking with Kubiak means play-actions, deep throws and continuity for CousinsAt his end-of-year press conference, Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer made it clear that he wanted to keep the scheme that posted the best offensive production of his six years in Minnesota.
On Thursday the Vikings brought that statement to fruition by hiring offensive adviser/assistant head coach Gary Kubiak as the offensive coordinator, replacing Kevin Stefanski, who left to take a head coaching job in Cleveland, according to an NFL Network report.
The difference between the 2018 and 2019 Vikings offense tells the story of Kubiak’s influence. The Vikings went from 19th to eighth in scoring, 23rd to sixth in yards per pass attempt, 30th to sixth in rushing yards and 23rd to sixth in percentage of drives producing points.
“Gary (Kubiak) has been tremendous,” Zimmer said in November. “It’s probably the best thing that’s ever happened to me since I’ve been here. He’s very smart. I talk to him a lot about what he’s done as a head coach. We talk a lot about offensive and defensive football.”
The vast improvement in the Vikings offense started with Kubiak’s scheme, which proved successful in Denver where quarterbacks like Jake Plummer and Brian Griese excelled and then in Houston with Matt Schaub at the helm and in Baltimore, where veteran Joe Flacco posted the second highest rating and  highest QBR of his career in 2014.
The story was the same for Kirk Cousins, who set his career high in quarterback rating and ranked as Pro Football Focus’s fifth best quarterback. His previous best PFF ranking was 10th.
Kubiak’s offense starts with marrying the run and pass game together — using play-action passes off the same looks that they used to run the ball. When using play-action this year, Cousins produced a 129.2 quarterback rating (per PFF), which was No. 1 in the NFL. The Vikings used play-action on 31.4% of plays, fifth most in the NFL. They were 17th in that category in 2018.
Cousins has consistently been one of the best play-action passers in the league. Even when the offense dialed up play-fakes less in ’18, he still produced a 116.1 rating, fourth best in the NFL.
Part of the reason for his play-action success is that Cousins possesses the ability to throw deep passes with a high rate of accuracy. It makes for a perfect fit with Kubiak’s scheme, which requires receivers to run deep crossing patterns. Per PFF, Cousins ranked third in rating on throws that traveled more than 20 yards in the air, completing 24-of-61 deep throws.
Kubiak’s concepts also found ways to mitigate the weaknesses of the veteran quarterback. Using bootlegs and rollouts gave him more time to throw, which resulted in the Vikings cutting down Cousins’s sack total from 40 to 28 from ’18 to ’19. An increase in screen passes also cut down on pressure and provided easy completions for the QB, who averaged 8.0 yards per attempt on throws behind the line of scrimmage.
The effectiveness of the run game also took pressure off Cousins. For example, in a win over the Dallas Cowboys, the Vikings ran on 10 straight plays and finished the drive with a Dalvin Cook touchdown.
Aside from the numbers and Cousins producing the best season of his career in the Kubiak scheme, the fact that the veteran quarterback won’t have to learn a new scheme is valuable too. Since he became a full-time starter in 2015, Cousins has only had the same offensive coordinator in back-to-back years once (2015, 2016 with Sean McVay). And while Kubiak will be different in some ways from Stefanski, he will get an opportunity to have the same terminology, same concepts and very likely the same playmakers around him in Stefon Diggs, Adam Thielen, Dalvin Cook, Kyle Rudolph, Irv Smith and Bisi Johnson.
Zimmer’s comfort with Kubiak matters too.
In past years, Zimmer has questioned the offense’s direction. Norv Turner resigned and he fired DeFilippo late in the ’18 season. Last year the two bonded over their long history in the game and similarities in philosophy.
“We talk about offense and defense, we talk about when I was in Dallas and, he wasn’t in San Francisco at the time, but we talked about that offense and the things in Dallas and we had to do and the plays that we used to have to work like crazy on,” Zimmer said. “I think the other thing that I appreciate about Gary (Kubiak), kind of like with (Bill) Parcells with me, Coach (Mike) Shanahan was on his rear end every day, talking about understanding this and understanding that. I think Coach Parcells was pretty much the same way with me. We’ve kind of been in that same thing where we’ve had our rear ends chewed a little bit.”
Having an OC that the head coach trusts and the quarterback is comfortable with was the obvious direction for the Vikings to go with the job. And if they repeat a similar offensive performance to 2019, the Vikings will be back in the postseason in 2020.
As for the more distant future, the Vikings will have to decide on whether to sign Cousins to a contract extension. Presumably Kubiak will play a role in that decision. It’s hard to say where Kubiak would stand on the veteran QB’s contract but he would have the experience to help the Vikings make the decision.
https://www.skornorth.com/vikings-2/2020...r-cousins/

I wonder if Gary will stay in the booth for games (health reasons)  and use somebody like his son as an asst OC to handle sideline duties?  this would get Klint more exposure to OC duties as well as allow Gary that upstairs look at the field.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
I wonder if Gary will stay in the booth for games (health reasons)  and use somebody like his son as an asst OC to handle sideline duties?  this would get Klint more exposure to OC duties as well as allow Gary that upstairs look at the field.
I actually like that idea. Has a couple sets of eyes and Klint can relay stuff to him as well on what he sees. 

Excellent news, exactly what I was hoping they'd do.

I was interested in seeing which Kubiak they would name as OC, but it's nice that Gary feels up to fully taking over the offense. Maybe it's a little less daunting now that the offense is installed and they've had some success with his scheme. It will also be interesting to see how play-calling changes with Gary fully in charge.

with the talent on this team we should win 10 games any less we should  clean house 

Here is my conspiracy theory take....

Or maybe he is just holding the spot for his son next year and giving Zim the best chance to keep the same offense maintain stability and also to win now. With this move,  Adam Zim gets DC and Dre helps him as co-DC and next year Klint gets OC and his dad backs him up too after stepping back again. Like this year, they continue with same offense and everything. If Adam Zim succeeds it's easier to promote Klint and the nepotism is spread out.  There is no way Klint gets an OC promotion somewhere else this year so this is a great opportunity for him. I will be surprised if he does not get some sort of promotion this year or role expansion to prepare him or get him closer to the OC title. He has been an NFL offensive coach just three years and one year as QB coach for Vikings.

Quote: @"PSBLAKE" said:
with the talent on this team we should win 10 games any less we should  clean house 
Kind of need to wait and see what talent we have on this team when the dust settles.  Lots of talk of cutting for cap space and trading talent for better draft picks or help at areas of need.