49ers: Minnesota's win eases path to Super Bowl for Niners

49ers last 5 games

Loss to Ravens 20-17
Beat Saints 48-46
Loss to Falcons 29-22
Beat Rams 34-31
Beat Hawks 26-21

Quote: @Wetlander said:
I will say this...  the matchups against SF scare me.  Their running game is really good and versatile (much like ours) and their front four can really get after the QB.  Armstead in the middle is going to be a handful...

It will be a tall task to stop their run game and the offense better have a good game plan to get Kirk comfortable.
"Tall" task indeed, as their inside DL are probably the tallest in the NFL, both at 6-7. That length and speed is probably why they are the top ranked pass defense in the NFL, but you can run on them. Like New Orleans, they don't have a fatty, the kind of big plugger that our interior OL typically struggles against. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
I will say this...  the matchups against SF scare me.  Their running game is really good and versatile (much like ours) and their front four can really get after the QB.  Armstead in the middle is going to be a handful...

It will be a tall task to stop their run game and the offense better have a good game plan to get Kirk comfortable.
"Tall" task indeed, as their inside DL are probably the tallest in the NFL, both at 6-7. That length and speed is probably why they are the top ranked pass defense in the NFL, but you can run on them. Like New Orleans, they don't have a fatty, the kind of big plugger that our interior OL typically struggles against. 
KC has a lot of batted passes,  that middle height may cause him more grief and those strong quick athletic DTs have given our interior plenty of fits themselves,  not just the fatties.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
For all the success Zim had game planning and negating what Peyton and the Saints wanted to do, you have to ask yourself: Why don't we see it more consistently? 
I have always thought that Zimmer is great and has a lot of success when he is aggressive. But by nature, he is conservative.
I think the loss of Alexander and Hughes caused him to be more creative and aggressive. They also had a more aggressive attitude on offense.
When the Vikings are aggressive, they always have a chance. Let's hope that continues.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:

KC has a lot of batted passes,  that middle height may cause him more grief and those strong quick athletic DTs have given our interior plenty of fits themselves,  not just the fatties.
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:

Yeah, those DTs will definitely hurt us in the passing game. But when we've struggled to run the ball, it's usually due to a fatty. 

To me it's simple. Mike Zimmer puts his standard Defense out there against teams unless he believes the opposing Offense has an Elite Quarterback or can really run the ball. 

Much like Pete Carroll, Mike would rather see how you are attacking his scheme and then make changes as needed instead of having an opponent-specific gameplan like Belicheat. 

But Rodgers, Brees and Wilson are too good so he does come into the game with new wrinkles to slow them down. He also had a specific plan to stop Dallas's running game. If Mahomes had been healthy you would have seen a specific plan to slow him down instead of the vanilla Moore saw.

Vikings will need a different gameplan for the 49ers. Shanahan is an excellent strategist. Big challenge. The homefield advantage was greater in NO than it will be in San Francisco, however. I won't say the Vikings can't do it, but it will take execution of a good gameplan again on the road. Should be fun.

Here behind enemy lines, word is the Niners D should be at close to full health. They had been missing lots of pieces during the last four or five games of the season. Thats what worries me.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
For all the success Zim had game planning and negating what Peyton and the Saints wanted to do, you have to ask yourself: Why don't we see it more consistently? 

Gotta suggest the possibility that some of the rumors about the Wilfs considering firing Zimmer if the team was embarrassed in New Orleans were true - in other words, he knew he was coaching for his job and so he played aggressively.
FSU, you may be right in the idea that Zimmer only plans new wrinkles for those he considers "elite QBs", but hasn't he realized by now that guys like Chase Daniel and Matt Moore (and Mitch Trubisky and Josh Allen last year) can beat his team if they aren't prepared? And then why no special plan for Rodgers in week 16? (Although I still think Zimmer had already given up on winning the division.)
Kudos to Zimmer and staff for great preparation yesterday, but it doesn't change the fact there have been too many games where the Vikings are flat or don't have a specific plan to beat good teams.