Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What'll happen with Teddy?
Quote: @FSUVike said:
Brees isn't throwing deep because he can't and hasn't been able to going back to 2017. Zimmer knew it and has been scheming with that in mind.

With as many games as Teddy started, and without the arm strength issue to compensate for, I find it dubious that a Coach of Payton's caliber wouldn't try to add the deep threat dimension. Ginn is still there as well as some young guys that can get deep.

I watched 3 of Teddy's starts and I saw a healthy version of the same guy we saw in Minnesota. He'll go deep on occasion but 95% of the time his fist instinct is short to intermediate. And there's nothing wrong with that. 

My preference will always be for guys who look deep to intermediate and then take the short pass when needed. Cousins is by no means perfect on that regard but he sure as heck looks deep way more than Teddy.

It's a philosophical thing. Chunk plays equals less plays you need in a drive to get a score. Which equals less chance of a drive-killer like a TO, sack, penalty or negative yardage play. Mike Zimmer prefers to bend and not break on Defense instead of attacking because he believes your Offense will make that mistake more often and kill drives instead of scoring. 

My personal preference is to attack on at least one side of the ball. Kirk takes shots. And deeper shots with better spin, trajectory and placement than Teddy. But he's not reckless with it like Case was, who seemed to have an aversion to taking 5 free yards on a checkdown to a wide open RB in the flat.

I still root for Teddy but he's a better fit for teams like Buffalo that are conservative on Offense and attack on Defense.
Watch the highlights. Does he have Kirk Cousins' deep ball? No. But neither does Brees or most QBs in the NFL. If you watch those highlights, Teddy's first game was a game-manager special. As it should've been. After that, it loosened up. I think it was his 3rd game maybe? He threw deep 5 times in that game. And completed all 5. 5 for 5 on deep passes. Nuts. 

Watch the roll left and touch pass on this (at 8:54). https://youtu.be/L9uoBpnyUZs?t=534

You know who throws a great deep ball? Matt Stafford. You know what he doesn't do? Win. Teddy was 5-0 as a starter. He plays well within the scheme. And plays best under pressure. You might disagree, but I think Teddy is going to make some team very very happy 12 months from now. 

Don't sleep on Washington now that Rivera took over. Haskins isn't getting the keys yet, and Keenum's horse shoe apparently fell on his head.

Am I the only one who watched those NO wins? He was pretty much doing the classic Game Manger thing, lots of short throws to Kamar and Thomas.

I was on the Teddy wagon pre-draft virtually before anyone else but he just hasn't progressed as a downfield passer. Put him with an Elite, attacking Defense and he can win you a Superbowl. Mike Zimmer will never have an Elite, attacking Defense because he doesn't believe in being aggressive. And I don't blame him. Seattle and New England don't have attacking Defenses either and it hasn't stopped them.

If Teddy came back it would need to be because Zimmer left and they brought in a Coach who wants to attack Offenses instead of bending but not breaking.
You won't change any minds on Teddy here. But I agree with your take on him personally. And I say this really liking the kid. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
NOLA for life?
Bears?
Dolphins?
Bucs?
Panthers?
Jags?

Starter or Back-up???

How about this for a wildcard idea: Patriots. Just imagine them getting an immediate  replacement for Brady without spending a single draft pick...and adding Teddy's name to the list of Minnesota athletes succeeding in Boston.
That probably only happens if Brady is ready to retire after this season, just as Bridgewater's future is dependent on how Drew Brees fares in the postseason. If either of those two are ready to hang it up - due to playing badly or winning a final SB - Teddy will have a nice opportunity.
But one team on that original list also seems sensible: Tampa. They improved over the second half and would have been better if not for having an interception machine at QB. Bruce Arians is a good coach, and Tampa Bay is still in Teddy's tax-free home state.

This is starting to piss me off a little.  Teddy’s leg damn near breaks off and i get we had a big quandry, however, he was put back together and “healthy” enough to play prior to us kicking him to the curb.  
Did we think his talent and upside was just effing gone?  Why didnt we keep him on at least a one year? I do remember that not wanting to keep Case added a huge dimension to our QB issue but gdi, can we ever have some good luck in this outfit? 

Quote: @Bullazin said:
This is starting to piss me off a little.  Teddy’s leg damn near breaks off and i get we had a big quandry, however, he was put back together and “healthy” enough to play prior to us kicking him to the curb.  
Did we think his talent and upside was just effing gone?  Why didnt we keep him on at least a one year? I do remember that not wanting to keep Case added a huge dimension to our QB issue but gdi, can we ever have some good luck in this outfit? 

None of us can answer the lack of good luck question...
As for Teddy, I think something happened which soured him on this organization. The way the Vikings proposed that his contract might "toll" after his injury seemed to be a sore point and IIRC there were reports that a contract offer was made after the tolling was dropped, but he rejected it.  So it might be bad decision-making and/or handling of the player, not just bad luck that drove Bridgewater away.

Am I the only one who watched those NO wins? He was pretty much doing the classic Game Manger thing, lots of short throws to Kamar and Thomas.

I was on the Teddy wagon pre-draft virtually before anyone else but he just hasn't progressed as a downfield passer. Put him with an Elite, attacking Defense and he can win you a Superbowl. Mike Zimmer will never have an Elite, attacking Defense because he doesn't believe in being aggressive. And I don't blame him. Seattle and New England don't have attacking Defenses either and it hasn't stopped them.

If Teddy came back it would need to be because Zimmer left and they brought in a Coach who wants to attack Offenses instead of bending but not breaking.
I watched some of them.  Teddy is no different than most NFL qb's.  There are a few generational guys who can carry a team and the rest like Teddy, Kirk, et al need the right coach, scheme, pieces, etc. 

I can see him being a decent QB somewhere but he benefited during those five games from all the pieces the Saints have in place on both sides of the ball and a coach who knows offense. 

Tampa seems like the best fit to me, they ought to be ready to move on from Winston.  Arians is a good offensive mind.  He'll be close to home/family.   

The thing I don't know is does he want to start?  Taking backup money in NOLA seems weird when he had a starting offer in Miami but I get that Miami might not have appeared to be the best situation at the time.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@Bullazin said:

None of us can answer the lack of good luck question...
As for Teddy, I think something happened which soured him on this organization. The way the Vikings proposed that his contract might "toll" after his injury seemed to be a sore point and IIRC there were reports that a contract offer was made after the tolling was dropped, but he rejected it.  So it might be bad decision-making and/or handling of the player, not just bad luck that drove Bridgewater away.
It was a perfect storm to deprive us of the long time starter that we drafted.  There were many questions surrounding Teddy, if he could return, would he hold up, could he be a long term QB.  Remember, none of that was definitively answered before the knee blew up.  He was trending that way and looked very positive. 

Our team was built to win, going into the season with a huge ? at QB didn't seem right for the rest of the team.  Teddy got a meager offer from the Jets to be a backup.  That was his market at the time, a prove it deal.  That probably pissed him off and maybe he blamed the Vikings.  I know Zimmer liked him, but nobody was ready to give him starter money that year.
It sucks big time because I think he would have been a very good long term QB, he wins and is a very likable guy.