Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Coronavirus
Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
one of my colleagues in the history department (a fairly new teacher) asked why I thought people were freaking out and hoarding....I told him he didnt want to know my answer....

long story short I relented...

”Beacause weve become a nation of pussies”.

personally, id rather die, than live my life in fear 

yeah, Ok....lemme hear what an Ass I am.
Not an ass. FDR was almost right when he said "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself." I say "almost right" because it's not the only thing we have to fear. But it will do the most damage. A little bit of fear is healthy. It keeps us from making foolish decisions. It keeps us safe. 

Not that the world needs more reminders of dystopia right now, but I keep thinking of Stephen King's novel The Stand, where 99% of the world's population is killed by a virus and the rest are divided by calls to either the dark side or the good side. 

We're already seeing examples on both sides...evil people hoarding, price gouging, pulling knives on one other, increased violence and xenophobia...And others donating supplies to the elderly, Jack Ma donating masks and test kits, restaurants feeding kids affected by school closures, etc. 

Now, this virus is nothing even remotely close to King's fictional one. Still, virus or no, we're all called to make a "stand" in how we treat each other. We just need to decide which side we're going to be on. 

The biggest fuck up of all is refusing the test kits from the World Health Organization. Now it's all about playing catch up. There are so many places that do not have testing available. Jack Ma is donating 500,000 kits. Some labs have finally been given clearance to manufacture them. But not everyone that needs testing will get it. There have also been issues with cost for the people. There were also fake test kits seized at LAX. It's an epic clusterfuck overall but I am glad the states are doing what they can. Some more than others. I am glad the sports leagues triggered a response. I am glad that some people are stepping up to help. Athletes and owners are helping their communities. Hopefully things are learned to make it better moving forward.

Lots of hand wringing about tests kits,  but honestly this should be treated like any other virus from a personal standpoint,  if you are sick,  stay the fuck home and try and avoid spreading your shit to everybody else.  I know this can be much worse and that knowing is helpful, but seriously people need to accept responsibility for themselves and take it as their own duty to control the spread.  I've been preaching to my family all week to shrink their circles and stay within their circle.

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
The biggest fuck up of all is refusing the test kits from the World Health Organization. 
^^^

This, it boggles the brain.

It's the gold standard for the world...

This country is blind right now. Incubation period is up to 2 weeks. Now we're seeing headlines that blare 25 new cases in FL, 30 in MN...

Right... :p

Of course people should stay home when they are sick but not everyone can. There are people that don't have sick days. There are people that can't work from home. I feel awful for them. I hate when someone comes to work sick. Hacking and coughing all over people and then the next week more people are sick. Well duh? Of course you need to do your part.

I don't know what we can do for those who can't stay home, I really don't but it needs to be considered. Ok I do know but we'll see what happens there. Then of course there are greedy people who will prey on the weak and exploit them. You can see that happening. Of course that happens outside of this. But we still have to look at the lack of responsibility regarding testing and preparation. I will do what I can. That I can control. I will take care of my family and my clients and ride this out. That's what I can do.

Damn, Norway.
[Image: ETKWa5HXsAE6IXr?format=png&name=small]

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Damn, Norway.
[Image: ETKWa5HXsAE6IXr?format=png&name=small]
Funny, but sad and true.