Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Coronavirus

'Unfathomable': US death toll from coronavirus hits 200,000The once-unimaginable threshold was reached six weeks before an election that is certain to be a referendum in part on President Donald Trump's handling of the crisis.
By CARLA K. JOHNSON Associated PressSeptember 22, 2020 — 5:09pm
The U.S. death toll from the coronavirus topped 200,000 Tuesday, by far the highest in the world, hitting the once-unimaginable threshold six weeks before an election that is certain to be a referendum in part on President Donald Trump's handling of the crisis

“The idea of 200,000 deaths is really very sobering, in some respects stunning,” Dr. Anthony Fauci, the government’s top infectious-disease expert, said on CNN.
The bleak milestone was reported by Johns Hopkins, based on figures supplied by state health authorities. But the real toll is thought to be much higher, in part because many COVID-19 deaths were probably ascribed to other causes, especially early on, before widespread testing.
For five months, America has led the world by far in sheer numbers of confirmed infections — nearly 6.9 million as of Tuesday — and deaths. The U.S. has less than 5% of the globe’s population but more than 20% of the reported deaths.
Brazil is No. 2 with about 137,000 deaths, followed by India with approximately 89,000 and Mexico with around 74,000. Only five countries — Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Spain and Brazil — rank higher in COVID-19 deaths per capita.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
Wow....

https://twitter.com/SageRosenfels18/stat...93697?s=20

Yeah, DIA is never that empty. My goodness, this thing has really gotten ahold of people. But I suspect that it's going to make a far bigger dent in the global economy than the global population. 

What changes have you made? Personally, I have tickets to fly to San Francisco with my kids to see my brother in a couple of weeks. And, so far anyway, I plan to go. But I have to say I'm a little nervous about it, especially with my kids. Not as much about the virus as how people are panicking about it. A flight yesterday was rerouted to Denver because someone, um...sneezed. And I am narrowing in on some ridiculously priced tickets to Cancun in May. Am I crazy? 
Did anyone ever think back on 3/10, we'd hit 200k dead?

And counting...

Someone said last night no one is getting sick from it.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
https://twitter.com/JesseOSheaMD/status/...09952?s=20
I saw her parents featured today. What a heartbreaking story. 200,000 deaths just blows my mind. 

200,000 dead and counting. It did not have to be this way.

Quote: @"Vikergirl" said:
https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/...87845?s=19
The problem you have with college football is you can suit up 82 players if you want....and they are kids out partying and mingling no matter what is going on pandemic-wise. FAU down here in Boca has had to postpone 2 games already because of COVID. 

Parents sending COVID-19 infected kids to school, Wisconsin officials warn"The biggest challenge for us that we're experiencing right now is people are just being dishonest," health official says.
By Tim Elfrink Washington PostSeptember 24, 2020 — 3:45pm

As authorities in suburban Milwaukee gamed out the complex preparations to allow children back into classrooms amid the coronavirus pandemic, they didn’t plan for one scenario: Parents deliberately sending infected kids to school.

Yet that’s exactly what’s happened multiple times in Washington and Ozaukee counties, health officials said this week.
“Something that happened and continued to happen … which I never in my wildest dreams imagined it would happen, is people sent their known positive kids to school,” Washington Ozaukee Public Health Department Officer Kirsten Johnson told WISN.
As health officials investigate cases in more than two dozens schools in the counties, some are demanding harsh repercussions for any parent caught sending a child to class after they test positive.
“When you have parents lying to contact tracers, refusing to get kids tested, that’s just beyond the pale,” said Washington County Board member Don Kriefall, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported. “That becomes very problematic for the health department to manage this whole situation. The hammer may have to be dropped.”
Wisconsin, which has recorded more than 1,200 COVID-19 deaths, isn’t the only place struggling to cope with parents who purposely evade the safety systems set up to prevent school outbreaks of a virus that has now killed at least 201,000 Americans.
In Massachusetts last week, a student attended the first day of high school despite a positive test, sending dozens of classmates into quarantine. A similar situation in Oklahoma forced 17 students into quarantine.
In Washington and Ozaukee counties, which sit just north of Milwaukee, a patchwork of school districts have adopted a range of back-to-school plans, but many have offered students the option of going to school in-person five days a week.
Health officials already know of at least three cases where students have tested positive and showed up to class anyway, Johnson told the Journal Sentinel. One COVID-positive student felt so sick after coming to school that they went to the school nurse.
In several other cases, Johnson said, parents have lied to contract tracers about test results and about whom their child had contact with. Other parents have also refused to test children, even when they are obviously ill.
“The biggest challenge for us that we’re experiencing right now is people are just being dishonest,” Johnson told the Journal Sentinel. “They don’t want their children to be quarantined from school. They don’t want to have to miss work. In doing that, they’re jeopardizing the ability to have school in person and other people’s health.”
Health officials are now urging schools in Washington and Ozaukee counties to use attendance software to keep track of students who test positive for the virus, and to ensure they don’t show up for class when they’re supposed to be at home in quarantine.
The counties also plans to hire more contract tracers and will consider ordering schools to close if cases rise. As of Tuesday, the two counties were investigating cases at 25 different schools.
While early evidence suggests that schools have not become hot spots for coronavirus transmission so far, health officials said they will have no choice to but to take drastic action if sick kids keep coming to school.
“We’re not going to be able to keep our schools open,” Kriefall told WISN. “It’s going to, I mean, just a few parents that are irresponsible are going to affect the entire school district.”

I worry that there is going to be long-term issues for these young athletes.  It's a shame, but they may be betting more than they realize, to play this year.   Seeing it all the way down to the HS level.  I hope I am wrong.