Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Coronavirus
My son came home from college for labor day weekend and just tested positive.  All his roommates have also been tested because they all don't feel well.  With everyone coming back to colleges from all over the Country and living in small (expensive $$$ Smile apartments I don't see this going too well.  Then you add my wife is a 4th grade teacher and all hell is breaking out in my household.  We are scheduled to be tested today at 2 pm.  We are in PA.

Quote: @"minny65" said:
My son came home from college for labor day weekend and just tested positive.  All his roommates have also been tested because they all don't feel well.  With everyone coming back to colleges from all over the Country and living in small (expensive $$$ Smile apartments I don't see this going too well.  Then you add my wife is a 4th grade teacher and all hell is breaking out in my household.  We are scheduled to be tested today at 2 pm.  We are in PA.
Yikes, minny. That is a lot going on in your family, hope everything turns out just fine (I'm sure it will). 

Yep, the kids going to school and college and then coming home are going to cause a huge spike. 

I am sorry to hear that. Hoping for the best. Be well and take care of you and yours. The extra travel is going to complicate things. Is your wife teaching at the school or remotely or a combination? 

Quote: @"Vikergirl" said:
@"minny65" said:
I am sorry to hear that. Hoping for the best. Be well and take care of you and yours. The extra travel is going to complicate things. Is your wife teaching at the school or remotely or a combination? 
My wife's school district was having the teachers report to school and live stream to the students so combination.  She is really upset not just because of Covid but she needs to be in the school to learn how to better do the remote learning as a group of teachers.  It is no easy task to have to put a whole lesson plan together and then be able to project to the students at home without having multiple glitches everyday.  Our schools are not equipped to do this well right now.  Also the majority of teachers (and board members) are not tech savvy.  Then you add all the households that you provide Chrome Books too and how are they going to know what to do?

She literally just said she is getting text after text from parents asking tech questions that she doesn't know because the teachers are on school lap tops not the chrome books - so disconnect right there.  She is calling the principle and asking that they hire a tech person to field all the parents questions.

Most people don't learn too well remotely so I feel bad for the kids especially at younger ages.  What a cluster!

@"Vikergirl" said:
@"minny65" said:
My wife's school district was having the teachers report to school and live stream to the students so combination.  She is really upset not just because of Covid but she needs to be in the school to learn how to better do the remote learning as a group of teachers.  It is no easy task to have to put a whole lesson plan together and then be able to project to the students at home without having multiple glitches everyday.  Our schools are not equipped to do this well right now.  Also the majority of teachers (and board members) are not tech savvy.  Then you add all the households that you provide Chrome Books too and how are they going to know what to do?

She literally just said she is getting text after text from parents asking tech questions that she doesn't know because the teachers are on school lap tops not the chrome books - so disconnect right there.  She is calling the principle and asking that they hire a tech person to field all the parents questions.

Most people don't learn too well remotely so I feel bad for the kids especially at younger ages.  What a cluster!
So many things are complicating the technology aspect of this mess. I know that some buses are being used as hot spots for students that don't have internet access. I know some colleges are allowing people to park in the lot to use their Wi-Fi. The teachers have to be overwhelmed with the shift in the lesson plan and students are having to adjust as well. It is definitely challenging and there needs to be more support in order to improve the situation.

Sorry to hear, Minny. But for the grace of God (and perhaps a lot of luck) go all of us. Hoping the best for your family. 

Update:

My son is not that sick.  it started with aches in his joint and a low grade fever for about 2 days.  I noticed a small rash under his one eye which was weird but that didn't last too long.  He also said he couldn't really smell anything.

My wife and I tested negative.  My wife has to wait 14 days before she can go back into school and teach virtually from there.  So for the next two weeks she will be doing it from home.  

So we are back to Covid-normal.  

Quote: @"Vikergirl" said:
https://twitter.com/brgridiron/status/13...79968?s=19
It's reporting like this that makes me roll my eyes...They have no idea where this individual caught The Covid..That said the tracing resources The Chiefs employed is impressive.