Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Coronavirus

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@AGRforever said:
So china locked down their country better the what we’ll do but most of us will NOT get covid. The high estimates is around 40% which is fantastically higher then it’s going to be under the worst of cases. China had 81k cases with a population of 1.4B or 0.002% infection rate within their population. 

Lets keep this whole thing in perspective. 
I think this is a good perspective too...

There are some things China (and So Korea) did that we need to emulate here in US - now since it wasn't done weeks ago. 

Why we're not using testing gold standard tools that the WHO leverages across the globe is beyond my understanding. 

This country would have flipped shit if their had been a radical approach to this virus before it really had become something in this country.  We are a nation of selfish people and until something affects us personally we are all slow to react on a regular basis.  Sure we will have empathy for those that are affected,  but until shit starts to hit home for most Americans it will be business as usual and any attempts to interrupt our daily wants and desires will be met with spite and anger.  

It's a lot easier in smaller countries or those that arent as accustomed to their freedoms to impose mandates to slow the spread of something that isnt even an issue at the time.
I went to do some grocery shopping this morning at the local Hy Vee...

I should have grabbed pix...

The paper aisle? Completely empty. No chicken left, all the frozen pizza's sold out, hamburger by the lb? gone...Loaf bread? Canned anything, frozen vegetables - gone..

Zero hand sanitizer, hand soap etc.

Now Hy Vee has an excellent supply chain, right up there with Publix, Costco and WM. The fact that they're out of this stuff just underscores how yes, people are losing their shit (and how bad the Amercian diet is too). 
Not surprising at all,  Walmart's across the country have been this way all week and their supply chain is unrivalled,  but the govt imposing bans and such weeks before this virus really arrived here wouldn't have been received calmly by anybody and would likely have made things even worse as it might have slowed the initial spread,  but then the virus would have been taken even more casually than it is/was and the effects would potentially have been even more devastating. 

I dont think there is a magic wand or a crystal ball when it comes to the right time to make unpopular decisions for the safety of a massive population of free people.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@AGRforever said:
So china locked down their country better the what we’ll do but most of us will NOT get covid. The high estimates is around 40% which is fantastically higher then it’s going to be under the worst of cases. China had 81k cases with a population of 1.4B or 0.002% infection rate within their population. 

There are some things China (and So Korea) did that we need to emulate here in US - now since it wasn't done weeks ago. 

Why we're not using testing gold standard tools that the WHO leverages across the globe is beyond my understanding. 

This country would have flipped shit if their had been a radical approach to this virus before it really had become something in this country.  We are a nation of selfish people and until something affects us personally we are all slow to react on a regular basis.  Sure we will have empathy for those that are affected,  but until shit starts to hit home for most Americans it will be business as usual and any attempts to interrupt our daily wants and desires will be met with spite and anger.  

It's a lot easier in smaller countries or those that arent as accustomed to their freedoms to impose mandates to slow the spread of something that isnt even an issue at the time.

The paper aisle? Completely empty. No chicken left, all the frozen pizza's sold out, hamburger by the lb? gone...Loaf bread? Canned anything, frozen vegetables - gone..

Now Hy Vee has an excellent supply chain, right up there with Publix, Costco and WM. The fact that they're out of this stuff just underscores how yes, people are losing their shit (and how bad the Amercian diet is too). 
Not surprising at all,  Walmart's across the country have been this way all week and their supply chain is unrivalled,  but the govt imposing bans and such weeks before this virus really arrived here wouldn't have been received calmly by anybody and would likely have made things even worse as it might have slowed the initial spread,  but then the virus would have been taken even more casually than it is/was and the effects would potentially have been even more devastating. 

I dont think there is a magic wand or a crystal ball when it comes to the right time to make unpopular decisions for the safety of a massive population of free people.

But this is exactly why we have experts like Fauci - to make those decisions leveraging science and intuition. 

We're going to just have to disagree that the actions taken to date in measuring and managing this in the USA has gone well or just plain badly...

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@AGRforever said:

But this is exactly why we have experts like Fauci - to make those decisions leveraging science and intuition. 

We're going to just have to disagree that the actions taken to date in measuring and managing this in the USA has gone well or just plain badly...

I dont think they've gone well,  but I am not going to believe that the average American would have followed any mandatory furlough or other govt action and would have went about as if nothing was wrong.  Shit you yourself have shown picture of mobs in airports,  short of declaring martial law and using the NG to keep people off the streets this thing was going to spread regardless.

one of my colleagues in the history department (a fairly new teacher) asked why I thought people were freaking out and hoarding....I told him he didnt want to know my answer....

long story short I relented...

”Beacause weve become a nation of pussies”.

personally, id rather die, than live my life in fear 

yeah, Ok....lemme hear what an Ass I am.

Quote: @AGRforever said:

I don't trust China or  the data they have recorded and shared.

Quote: @Mattyman said:
@AGRforever said:

I don't trust China or  the data they have recorded and shared.

You dont have to. My BIL works with epidemiology in WV. He said for them to be getting the support the were from who and cdc etc that those organizations were comfortable with the data. 

For what its worth he’s STILL not very concerned. 

So is this where I can talk a bought “country boy can survive”???

Lock this shit down. My family and I are good for a long time without outside support.