Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where is the Excitement?
Should be better than last year, not sure its a team built for a deep playoff run...

I don't think it is.

My excitement level will increase with every touchdown the first stringers score in preseason.  

just got my Sunday Ticket today!!  gearing up!

I echo Sticky, Hidalgo and thousands of other 4+ decades long Vikings fans.

SHOW US. Okay?

JUST. SHOW. US.

Prove it on the field or SHUT UP.

PLEASE stop TELLING fans EVERY SINGLE PRESEASON that THIS is the year!!!

Player X will improve from last year.....Rookie A has "arrived" and will change the offense/defense....Coach G has now had a full offseason and WILL improve.....Player Y has now had a full offseason with Coach G, so he WILL be a top 10 player at his position.......Coach H has now had several seasons as HC, therefore he WILL be better and he WILL learn from his previous mistakes.....Player Z is now FULLY recovered from injury and will finally justify his draft status because NOW he GETS it....Rookies B,C,D and E are just TEARING up camp and this is looking like one of the BEST draft hauls EVER!!!

Did I miss anything?

Tired of the same Schpiel EVERY year. The names change, but the song remains the same.

Don't want to hear about injuries. Don't want to hear about new coaches/systems. Don't want to hear about rookies "acclimating". Don't want to hear about "growing" pains. Don't want to hear about FA's having to "gel". Don't want to hear about the schedule, ref bias, roof collapses, birds exploding on the stadium glass, ticket scandals, sex boat rides, whizzinators, child-beating, wife-beating, Goodell conspirisies or global warming. I don't even really care about how good the Billionaire Wilf's salary cap situation is OR isn't.

JUST. FREAKING. WIN.

Once the Vikings stadium deal was approved and the SB awarded, I've been hearing that 2017 WAS THE YEAR! For YEARS!!! There's no revisionist history allowed... 2017 was THE promised fruition of all the previous years' sowing!

Time to PUT up or SHUT UP.

What do I truly EXPECT from the VIkings in 2017? Easy...the USUAL. Anywhere between 7-9 and 9-7, with the close 6-10 or 10-6 possible. A slight chance at a playoff slot and a quick exit from the postseason, if an appearance is achieved. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Please note that this is NOT what I HOPE but merely what I have been conditioned to expect over the last, oh, 20 years or so.

Do you want to PROVE me wrong for basing my expectations on the results of the past decade plus?  Give the fans RESULTS. Prove it on the FIELD and I will believe it.

That means actually WINNING... not talking about a missed FG, penalties, play calls, fumbles or interceptions. ALL teams face these obstacles. Great/Good teams consistently overcome these common negative obstacles. Mediocre teams occasionally overcome these obstacles. Poor/Bad teams rarely overcome these obstacles.

Call me MissouriVike.....SHOW ME.

I'm really not sure why this stance ruffles the panties of some fans on this board. Is it being pessimistic when historical data proves it to be TRUE? Professional sports teams DO get reputations based on ACTUAL PERFORMANCE AND RESULTS. Does any sane person give a crap how many Pro Bowlers or starters the NE Patriots have drafted this century compared to how many Super Bowls they've won?! Of course not, that would be STUPID! And focusing on meaningless stats like that would be equally as stupid. 

According to what I've been reading on this board the past few months, the 2017 Vikings are an absolute lock for the playoffs and legitimate Super Bowl contenders. I'm 100% on board..... once I SEE it on the field, but NOT before.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me 48 times, shame on me.

Peace.

Quote: @njvike said:

SHOW US. Okay?

JUST. SHOW. US.

Player X will improve from last year.....Rookie A has "arrived" and will change the offense/defense....Coach G has now had a full offseason and WILL improve.....Player Y has now had a full offseason with Coach G, so he WILL be a top 10 player at his position.......Coach H has now had several seasons as HC, therefore he WILL be better and he WILL learn from his previous mistakes.....Player Z is now FULLY recovered from injury and will finally justify his draft status because NOW he GETS it....Rookies B,C,D and E are just TEARING up camp and this is looking like one of the BEST draft hauls EVER!!!

Did I miss anything?

Tired of the same Schpiel EVERY year. The names change, but the song remains the same.

Don't want to hear about injuries. Don't want to hear about new coaches/systems. Don't want to hear about rookies "acclimating". Don't want to hear about "growing" pains. Don't want to hear about FA's having to "gel". Don't want to hear about the schedule, ref bias, roof collapses, birds exploding on the stadium glass, ticket scandals, sex boat rides, whizzinators, child-beating, wife-beating, Goodell conspirisies or global warming. I don't even really care about how good the Billionaire Wilf's salary cap situation is OR isn't.

JUST. FREAKING. WIN.

Once the Vikings stadium deal was approved and the SB awarded, I've been hearing that 2017 WAS THE YEAR! For YEARS!!! There's no revisionist history allowed... 2017 was THE promised fruition of all the previous years' sowing!

What do I truly EXPECT from the VIkings in 2017? Easy...the USUAL. Anywhere between 7-9 and 9-7, with the close 6-10 or 10-6 possible. A slight chance at a playoff slot and a quick exit from the postseason, if an appearance is achieved. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Please note that this is NOT what I HOPE but merely what I have been conditioned to expect over the last, oh, 20 years or so.

Do you want to PROVE me wrong for basing my expectations on the results of the past decade plus?  Give the fans RESULTS. Prove it on the FIELD and I will believe it.

That means actually WINNING... not talking about a missed FG, penalties, play calls, fumbles or interceptions. ALL teams face these obstacles. Great/Good teams consistently overcome these common negative obstacles. Mediocre teams occasionally overcome these obstacles. Poor/Bad teams rarely overcome these obstacles.

I'm really not sure why this stance ruffles the panties of some fans on this board. Is it being pessimistic when historical data proves it to be TRUE? Professional sports teams DO get reputations based on ACTUAL PERFORMANCE AND RESULTS. Does any sane person give a crap how many Pro Bowlers or starters the NE Patriots have drafted this century compared to how many Super Bowls they've won?! Of course not, that would be STUPID! And focusing on meaningless stats like that would be equally as stupid. 

According to what I've been reading on this board the past few months, the 2017 Vikings are an absolute lock for the playoffs and legitimate Super Bowl contenders. I'm 100% on board..... once I SEE it on the field, but NOT before.

Peace.
Nice rant, lol!

other thoughts:

Defense can win a championship, Offense put's aszes in the seats. It's been a very boring team to watch for most, pedestrian fans.

Look at the teams record for quite a while outside of 11/5...That malaise doesnt go away over night and 8/8 might as well be 5/11. 

I think once the year starts, and if a few of the kids on offense starting showing-up on highlight reels? The fans will notice. 

Vikes are still #1 in this town by a long-shot, just way off the national radar for now. 

I'm definitely stoked for the new season...Damn near 50 years in as a fan...hope springs eternal... Even if I'm Charlie Brown, certain that Lucy won't pull the football back at the last second...

Quote: @njvike said:

SHOW US. Okay?

JUST. SHOW. US.

Did I miss anything?

JUST. FREAKING. WIN.

Peace.
Amen, brother, right on! Smile

I'll believe in this great season, when I see it (and I do want to see it).

Excited... but cautious this year so far.  First preseason game wasn't that impressive but maybe that's for the better as it won't be flash-in-the-pan this year.

Yeeeahhhh...............  I don't know.  I can't imagine we'll see the injuries we did last year, but I also don't think the overall talent is any better at the starting positions this year than it was then. 
We started to show a difficulty on defense last year in stopping the run and the first preseason game didn't show signs of improvement. 
On offense, we're still looking for an identity and hoping that our line can play together even though our starters may never all be on the field at the same time until September 11. 
I think the NFC North will be easy to win this year due to the overall lack of competitive teams; just not for us.