Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The $1,000,000 question heading into the break...
I think part of it is mental...at least two times on big plays the defenders had their head turned and didn't play the ball...does it get more basic than that?

I think the real question is will they trade him for whatever they can get this off season so they can extend Waynes and Alexander.  I think they will due to his age and apparent declining skills.
Hopefully they can get a 5th round pick for him.
I think they will try to move him because Zimmer did not draft him but he did draft the others.

Quote: @"MarkSP18" said:
I think the real question is will they trade him for whatever they can get this off season so they can extend Waynes and Alexander.  I think they will due to his age and apparent declining skills.
Hopefully they can get a 5th round pick for him.
I think they will try to move him because Zimmer did not draft him but he did draft the others.

My take is different. I always viewed XR like Dirty Harry, Barr and Bridgewater. One of the untouchable poster children of Zimsu. 

We'll see...Be interesting to see what they do with that backfield next season. Harrison Smith isn't getting any younger either. 

I can see Zim is having a heck of a time when he calls man coverage. Offenses are identifying and winning one on ones against man with ease. It's a huge problem with our zone coverages not working because there aren't many other ways to dial up coverage... 

When we need to put the cute shit aside, buckle down and make a stop, our players matched up hat on a hat are getting beat.

That's my thing. I see the swiss cheese zone and absolutely freak when I see man coverage also fail.

Quote: @"Hidalgo" said:
Is the non-existent pass rush the result of declining talent or the result of declining coaching/planning?
Our DE's seem to get adequate pressure but our DT's...while solid against the run....just look like dancing bears on pass plays.   I know Aaron Donald's don't grow on trees but hopefully come April we focus on that D-line position. We need interior line help badly.

The pass rush has not been great, but with this secondary it doesn't really  matter as they can't stay with the WR right from the start, so what does it matter, they are going to get burned fast or late, but either way they are getting torched.  

Quote: @"Ralphie" said:
@"Hidalgo" said:
Is the non-existent pass rush the result of declining talent or the result of declining coaching/planning?
Our DE's seem to get adequate pressure but our DT's...while solid against the run....just look like dancing bears on pass plays.   I know Aaron Donald's don't grow on trees but hopefully come April we focus on that D-line position. We need interior line help badly.
Our DE are generating a ton of hurries, but are having difficulty finishing plays. That's an indicator that the DTs are not generating interior push and funneling the QB into the edge rushers. I think that Johnson and Stephen are rotational players at best and it's telling that Zimmer is lining up Weatherly and Odenigbo inside on obvious pass rushing downs. Sheldon Richardson wasn't perfect, but the D is definitely missing a player who is capable of generating quick pressure up the middle. That would also help with the issues of teams having too long to throw and giving the coverage time to break down. That needs to be an early round need next year and it was a mistake to go into this season without addressing that need. I get that there was optimism around Mata'afa as an interior rusher, but just given his size, he was not going to be an every down player. A good DT won't fix everything, but it would be a nice first step. 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
He'll have to look at the tape and gets things fixed.

Yes, I went there.
Thanks Les.