Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cook Not Living Up To Preseason Hype
Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"ArizonaViking" said:
@"NorthernCalVike" said:
@"Mattyman" said:
Cook and Mattison are a bitch to deal with.
i love the one/two punch!!!

I like the fact Mattison can come into the game and just pound the ball while Cook takes a breather. Cook had 97 yards rushing and Mattison on limited carries still got 56 yards.  What a tag team.
Let me say first I love Mattison. But....he does not have a nose for the end zone. He should probably have 3 rushing TDs this year. I'm being nitpicky, but I can't help but notice that if he just bore down a few times, he'd have a few scores. 
he gets really really protective of the football in traffic... which isnt a bad thing,  it makes it harder for him to break any tackles when he wraps up the ball with both arms like they are taught to do,  give something to get something i guess.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
From Cook:

....at one point in the third quarter that they actually ran the ball on 10 consecutive plays before Cook scored on a 2-yard run to give them a 28-21 lead. "That's what it looks like right there," said Cook, who finished with 97 rushing yards, 86 receiving yards and one touchdown on the ground. "That's the blueprint: Physical football, downhill (and) let's get the job done. We've got some guys up front that can move some people. That's the moving crew right there. Once they are going, they're going. You can sense the look in their eyes when they're ready to get the job done. I could see that look in their eyes tonight."
Yeah, that drive was a thing of beauty. Offense played well on the road. Cousins too.

The defense needs some work though. Our vaunted 3rd down defense is just gone. 
Yeah, not much pressure against a good line in passing situations makes the defensive backs and linebackers have to cover too long in man coverage situations. But they absolutely stoned Zeke, and that was a key to their win. Zimmer had a good game plan and called a good game last night. I liked the fact he trusted his man coverage and seemed to use it more in this game. The best Zimmer defenses are aggressive, and they were last night against a very good offensive line.

Kirk is getting it done too, but Dalvin and the run blocking is carrying this team this year. It's incredible. It's easy to forget that for most of the past ~5 years our running game STUNK.
It's an incredible turnaround and I applaud the coaches and players for getting the run game and screen pass game going. It's fun to watch. So many times this year we'll have a run play that looks like it's going for a loss but somehow Cook or Mattison get through and pickup 6+ yards.
This scheme and these players are a ton of fun.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
From Cook:

....at one point in the third quarter that they actually ran the ball on 10 consecutive plays before Cook scored on a 2-yard run to give them a 28-21 lead. "That's what it looks like right there," said Cook, who finished with 97 rushing yards, 86 receiving yards and one touchdown on the ground. "That's the blueprint: Physical football, downhill (and) let's get the job done. We've got some guys up front that can move some people. That's the moving crew right there. Once they are going, they're going. You can sense the look in their eyes when they're ready to get the job done. I could see that look in their eyes tonight."
Loved that part of the game. Offense just imposed their will. 

Best part of Cook IMO is how punishing he is.  He isn't a big power back, but he knows how to bring power.  And yet he is so slippery.  Sliding off 2-3 tackles most every run.  And rarely a negative run.

SO!....   what is all this love worth?   As fans,   do we get into another situation with a RB that financially handcuffs the team because he is being paid significantly above the league average for the position?  Hes going to be due a new deal this offseason so how much given his immense talent and his injury history?  With Mattison in the fold and showing pretty well himself,  do you set the market with Cook or make him a fair offer and if he needs the top deal wish him well and take the compensatory pick?

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
From Cook:

Loved that part of the game. Offense just imposed their will. 

Best part of Cook IMO is how punishing he is.  He isn't a big power back, but he knows how to bring power.  And yet he is so slippery.  Sliding off 2-3 tackles most every run.  And rarely a negative run.
He's thick - can break arm tackles and can stop and turn on a pin-point...

In some ways, the way he glides, he reminds me of Laveon Bell too. 

Talk radio already speculating DC will be looking for new contract come 6/20. 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
SO!....   what is all this love worth?   As fans,   do we get into another situation with a RB that financially handcuffs the team because he is being paid significantly above the league average for the position?  Hes going to be due a new deal this offseason so how much given his immense talent and his injury history?  With Mattison in the fold and showing pretty well himself,  do you set the market with Cook or make him a fair offer and if he needs the top deal wish him well and take the compensatory pick?
Mattison is good, but Dalvin is special. Just pay him and keep improving that line. There are big contracts that will fall off the books soon enough: Rudy, Reiff and Rhodes come to mind. 

@"JimmyinSD" said:
Mattison is good, but Dalvin is special. Just pay him and keep improving that line. There are big contracts that will fall off the books soon enough: Rudy, Reiff and Rhodes come to mind. 
Dalvin's acceleration, how quickly he gets through the hole is what separates him from others. 

@"JimmyinSD" said:
thats a good theory,  but every year we hear about how this or that contract is coming off the books and yet then next year we are right back to being up against the cap wall.  A healthy Dalvin is  a special player,  but 1 out of 3 years doesnt give me a ton of confidence to back up the brinks truck at his door step.  I agree with improving the OL,  but there are other spots as well that need improving and that will require some big money deals to FAs at some point since there are only so many draft picks, and those FAs are going to have their own big money deals that eat up what ever we get rid of from our roster.  I see the team making a run at a FA OG and a 3T this coming offseason,  also they will be needing to resign a bunch of their own players.  the money never seems to go quite far enough unless we are letting at least one position suffer.

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
Dalvin's acceleration, how quickly he gets through the hole is what separates him from others. 
Thirded. Mattison is a good bruiser and will keep improving, but the gap between Dalvin and Mattison (and most other RBs in the league) is wide. Especially in this system.
Plus in recent years the Vikings have given second contracts to just about everyone with a pulse, so I assume they'll do the same for Dalvin. Not much point getting worked up over it on either side, since I think it's a certainty they'll pay him if he finishes the year strong.