Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it time to consider moving Rhodes?
If he was worth a day 2 pick, he would be worth keeping!
I think will stick with him and try to get him playing better. Whether that works or not remains to be seen.

theoretically the time to trade him was a year ago,  but that wasnt very popular then and the cap hit would have been tough to manage, but strictly from a compensation by selling at the right time, before last year or at least before the trade deadline.
now you entertain trade offers but at the same time you start to be thinking about how to rework his deal and keep him around for veteran back up since he is well versed in the scheme.  if he wont redo his deal you get what you can get or cut him outright after the season is over.

If Jalen Ramsey- who made it clear he wanted out of JAX and, therefore, took away *some* of their leverage- was worth 2 first round picks... I don't see how Rhodes is "only" worth a day 2 pick.  He may not be at the same level as Ramsey, but he's been an All-Pro level player... and has none of the character issues.

Has been all pro. Ramsey is still on his rookie deal and playing light years better

Who's going to give up a lot for a guy that just got torched by a Rookie. It's not like anyone has been forecasting McLauren as the next Brown, Jones or Greene.

And this is after he got torched by a guy in Jones that is on exactly nobody's Top 10 WRs list.

Other teams watch our games. That's the job of every single FO in the League. They know he's fallen off a cliff. That's why they're targeting him so much.

Now, there's a sucker, or a genius, that will figure they can turn him around. Gilmore had a down season or two and is back to being one of the best again. But whomever that is won't be breaking the bank on a flyer.

Personally,  I'd put Mac on the outside and Hughes in the slot. Mac was always an Outside CB at Clemson. I think his sheer talent has enabled him to adjust to the Slot. But his higher ceiling is Outside, IMO. Hughes is more versatile and wouldn't take as long to develop inside.

Sure looked like they both took turns on the Outside when Xavier went down. That might ultimately be the best bet as it allows Zimmer to do more things schematically.

Quote: @pumpf said:
If Jalen Ramsey- who made it clear he wanted out of JAX and, therefore, took away *some* of their leverage- was worth 2 first round picks... I don't see how Rhodes is "only" worth a day 2 pick.  He may not be at the same level as Ramsey, but he's been an All-Pro level player... and has none of the character issues.
Ramsey's 25 years old, is probably the best corner in the NFL and gets paid a third what Rhodes does. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@pumpf said:
Ramsey's 25 years old, is probably the best corner in the NFL and gets paid a third what Rhodes does. 
For this season...  Then someone is going to have to pay him a boatload of money.

Rhodes is still young enough and on a team friendly deal for a top CB. 

I think fans are shoveling dirt on his grave a little too quickly...  but if we did trade him, we could still get a first round pick or an early Day 2 pick IMO.

I personally don't feel as if he has lost a step or is in a physical decline. 

After reading into his comments (lol, right?) about the refs 'targeting 29,' I'm wondering if his strange off-coverage form of covering guys is all mental. It's like he decided he can't play his type of game without getting called and begun playing/developing around avoiding it. After getting smoked so far this season, he's getting mentally exhausted from getting called every time it seems he is in a WRs pocket in coverage...

Zimmer likes the physical play from CBs, but Zimmer also would prefer if defenders kept their man in front of them at all times. I think X is probably playing both angles of this. As his confidence drops with plays made against him, I think he's kinda falling back and just trying to keep it all in front of him. He'll drop back 5, 6 yards playing "to not get called" and receivers are smoking him out of their breaks.

I think rotating him around would be a better place to start. Get him off of the island and out of his own head out there, keep giving him reps so he can hopefully readjust his focus and get his confidence back.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:
@pumpf said:
For this season...  Then someone is going to have to pay him a boatload of money.

I think fans are shoveling dirt on his grave a little too quickly...  but if we did trade him, we could still get a first round pick or an early Day 2 pick IMO.
Its been a season and a half...I wouldn't consider 24 games of decline too quick...

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:
@pumpf said:

Wow, I don't see that at all. He has all three factors working against him: age, money and declining performance. 

As I said before I'm not at all for trading him. Pretty sure he's still a top half corner, if not top third. We're a better team with him. And honestly, I don't understand why anyone would want to make our team worse as we head down the stretch. 

If we were 2-6, sure, but the Vikings are a team that should be looking to add pieces not dump salary.