Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it time to consider moving Rhodes?
I'm not saying we should... but is it a question worth considering?
As fans, we probably don't give him enough credit for all the times when he DOES clamp down in coverage and enable our DL to get home.  That's something the All-22 would show us... but we rarely get to see the coverage when the opposing QB gets sacked.  So... maybe we're just over-reacting to the few times when he does allow his man to get open?

On the other hand: if he's getting worse (which it appears he is... even though his "bad" might still be better than 75% of the rest of the league), would it make sense to get something (a #1 pick?) for him now... before his value goes down any further?  If Hill can stay clean (a BIG IF), we've got more than enough help in the secondary to maintain a high level of success.  Plus, trading him would (probably?) give us quite a bit of cap relief for next season (OL upgrade?).

But if we did trade him... what would that do to the locker-room?  I still think that letting B-Rob go had an effect on the team's psyche... so I wonder what would happen if such a prominent player was moved.  If there was any danger of that happening (the team being negatively affected by trading Rhodes) I'd be against the idea (not that I get a vote).  I'd rather take our chances with this season and see where it goes.  Thoughts?

Rhodes is simply bad, and I fear he won't get better.  Case went directly after him no matter who he was covering.  I think he's going to lose the starting job to Hughes, and if they found a trading partner, I think he could be moved.

I think he's gotten too big and stiff. He looks like a safety. 

Based on his contract and play over the last 24 games, we won't get a first...if a contender has a starting CB go down this weekend, we might be able to get a Day 2 pick...

The only thing Hughes lacks right now to take over the CB#1 spot is reps...I'm not sure if I'd replace Rhodes with Mac or Big Mike...

Getting Rhodes salary off the books makes it a lot easier to retain Waynes and Alexander...and maybe Kearse...that alone makes Rhodes expendable...

We get Holton Hill back this week too.  I don't think we should trade Xavier during the season (chemistry/locker room shakeup) but after this year if someone offers a 3rd rounder I'd do it just for the cap savings.

After getting torched in Detroit,  I was wrong to think he would respond against the Redskins by playing lights out.

No one is going to give squat fir him.  I saw a stat somewhere that since the Falcons game, his receiver has caught something like 31 out of 38 times when he has had coverage.

I’m afraid they’re stuck with a bad contract now.  I just hope they don’t keep putting him out there to try and justify it.  And I am really worried about him playing against Mahomes and the Chiefs.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Based on his contract and play over the last 24 games, we won't get a first...if a contender has a starting CB go down this weekend, we might be able to get a Day 2 pick...

The only thing Hughes lacks right now to take over the CB#1 spot is reps...I'm not sure if I'd replace Rhodes with Mac or Big Mike...

Getting Rhodes salary off the books makes it a lot easier to retain Waynes and Alexander...and maybe Kearse...that alone makes Rhodes expendable...
I think day two is even a little pie in the sky. His age and contract work against him. Plus, I think we're better off with him on our team heading down the stretch and hopefully into the playoffs. Say you trade him, then Waynes gets dinged. Assuming Mack stays in the slot, then you head to the playoffs with who? Hughes and Hill as your starters outside? 

Keep the team as strong as possible. You'd hate to miss out on what might have been our first Super Bowl just to dump a little salary and add a future pick. 

One player on the trade market who intrigues me is Josh Gordon. 

[Image: NewEngland%20Patriots.png]
NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports Josh Gordon (knee, IR) could be waived and available as a free agent "soon."Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer added that Gordon's knee injury is "minor" and the 28-year-old expects to be medically cleared "soon." Gordon would obviously be eligible to sign with another team and play immediately if that occurs. He was reportedly dealing with two bone bruises in his knee before missing practice the past two weeks but was ultimately on his way out for performance reasons after totaling 20/287/1 in six injury-riddled games this season. Even if Gordon's on your bench, it's purely a cross-your-fingers Hail Mary to keep him stashed and hope he lands with another team in '19.
SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

I had many of the same thoughts regarding Rhodes as I typed...Rhodes doesn't strike me as a great locker room guy with his histrionics, phantom injuries, and pouting...but, I believe he's been a captain before...so who knows...depth could become an issue any time you trade a starter, but it might be worth the risk to put better players, Hughes in particular, on the field...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:

I would agree that his contract and poor play limit what you might get for him and with the deadline next week it's unlikely.   Also Zim "loves his guys" even when they are no longer effective.   And really a day 2 pick seems unlikely.  If I were a g.m. and you tried to peddle XR to me with that contract and those issues I'd say you can have a 5th rounder.   His career could be over as soon as this winter in reality.