Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kirk Cousins named Fed Ex Air Player of the Week - Wk 6
Actually to toss 4 TDs in a today's game is really no small feat...especially one for 51 yards and another for 62 yards.  Congratulations Kirk.

Could have had a third bomb...very good game...

I was one to bag on him, but I'll gladly eat my crow.  KC had a great game, and the lone INT was Diggs not able to catch the lazer Cousins zipped directly at his head.   Last weeks game was arguably his best since becoming a Viking.  He not only passed for 4 TDs, but he made solid decisions and looked very well prepared.
Can we start to expect that?  Gawd, I hope so.

A return to the mean is more likely...he is who he is...

We'll be here Sunday with 2 other couples, looks cool. Gotta love a 10 am start time, let the day drinking begin:

https://www.beerpark.com/

Then here on Sunday night:

https://catchrestaurants.com/catchlv/

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
And imagine 2 weeks ago thos fan base was ready to trade him for Keenum, Flacco or any other old horse that had thrown a shoe.... not that two weeks makes a season let alone defined a player,   but look at him now,  look at him now.

Oh I think those people remain, they aren't in this thread however. For me, I can compliment Cousins and understand he can be a very accurate passer but it doesn't take away from the fact the Vikings need to draft a QB high next Spring and let him sit behind Kirk. That's the prudent and smart way to go. Look at a guy like Russell Wilson: he's never had a losing season....on any level...EVER. He's elevating his team. He's had HORRIBLE line protection in his career at times and still makes things happen. Not saying those types are easy to get, but you have to try and get a guy at QB that can win without everything else around him being optimal. That's not Cousins. The NFL is too volatile to try and make that happen as a strategy outside catching lightning in a bottle for one year. I think this is where Minnesota made a mistake. 

I can root for Cousins, like Kirk as a guy, but desperately want the franchise to draft the heir apparent in the upcoming NFL Draft. Cousins is set in life: he'll have gotten $84 million guaranteed from the Vikings. He's got a very nice family. If he were to retire after this contract, would anyone blame him? He's been relatively injury-free his career and he could walk away from the game healthy and the likelihood of any long-term ailments at almost zero. Not saying he would do that and very probably he'll continue to play but he'll be close to 33 years old at the end of his Viking's contract. And you are seeing the smarter guys that have gotten their bags of $$$ as a recent trend in the NFL walk away sooner rather than later. Now I say this under the premise that Cousins will not be resigned in Minnesota. I think that is unlikely. JMO.
not to mention Kirk is very much a union guy and has gone on record saying that he believes its his duty to future QB contracts to try and to continue to push for more every contract and to keep pushing that bar upwards.   if that is truly his goal,  IMO that conflicts with the success of the team in that he isnt leaving much for a supporting cast which flies in the face of being a super bowl contender long term.   

I have been saying for years that we need to always have the QB pipeline flowing,  we dont necessarily need to draft one every year,  but we should until we have a franchise guy and at least one future franchise candidate under contract,  and we always need to be willing to walk away from a QB before their final year (and recoup draft picks) if they insist on resetting that salary bar at the expense of the franchises future success.  I think the reason they are so hard to find is that teams are constantly waiting until they have to get one and then make poor decisions and rush the kids into the mix to soon.  

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
I have been saying for years that we need to always have the QB pipeline flowing,  we dont necessarily need to draft one every year,  but we should until we have a franchise guy and at least one future franchise candidate under contract,  and we always need to be willing to walk away from a QB before their final year (and recoup draft picks) if they insist on resetting that salary bar at the expense of the franchises future success.  I think the reason they are so hard to find is that teams are constantly waiting until they have to get one and then make poor decisions and rush the kids into the mix to soon.  

Agreed.  Only the Pats and Pukers have been blessed to have legacy QB's in recent years.  To achieve that, I believe a young QB needs seasoning holding that clipboard (or Surface Wink ) for a couple of years before being thrown into the role full time.  While Brady only had one year, Rodgers had three seasons to learn the role.  

Most pro QB's today play for the college team one year and start the next and this is why I attribute so many fail. Look at the staggering number of first and second round QB's that were considered blue chippers in college that look like complete washouts upon starting for their teams and are gone in a few years...the Ryan's, Vince's, David's, Akili's, Todd's, Joey's, Eric's, JaMarcus', Matt's...and more recently the Johnny's & Josh's...have become NFL failure footnotes after illustrious college careers. Yeah, most may have been over-hyped, but I have always wondered how many could have become serviceable, long-term QB's if they had a couple of years of seasoning before being thrust into a pro game that is way bigger than they ever realized.

Quote: @Ralphie said:
@JimmyinSD said:

Agreed.  Only the Pats and Pukers have been blessed to have legacy QB's in recent years.  To achieve that, I believe a young QB needs seasoning holding that clipboard (or Surface Wink ) for a couple of years before being thrown into the role full time.  While Brady only had one year, Rodgers had three seasons to learn the role.  

Most pro QB's today play for the college team one year and start the next and this is why I attribute so many fail. Look at the staggering number of first and second round QB's that were considered blue chippers in college that look like complete washouts upon starting for their teams and are gone in a few years...the Ryan's, Vince's, David's, Akili's, Todd's, Joey's, Eric's, JaMarcus', Matt's...and more recently the Johnny's & Josh's...have become NFL failure footnotes after illustrious college careers. Yeah, most may have been over-hyped, but I have always wondered how many could have become serviceable, long-term QB's if they had a couple of years of seasoning before being thrust into a pro game that is way bigger than they ever realized.

whats funny is the rookie cap was supposed to make it so teams could afford to carry a veteran QB and give their high round rookies are year or two to learn,  but that is rarely that case,  these coaches and GMs are so tied to their high round picks that they need them on the field ASAP to keep their jobs even if putting them out there isnt in the team or players best interest long term.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Ralphie said:
@JimmyinSD said:

whats funny is the rookie cap was supposed to make it so teams could afford to carry a veteran QB and give their high round rookies are year or two to learn,  but that is rarely that case,  these coaches and GMs are so tied to their high round picks that they need them on the field ASAP to keep their jobs even if putting them out there isnt in the team or players best interest long term.

Yup.  The fans bear some of the blame.  Every fan wants a Mahomes-like reversal of fortune for their team.  You'll see it again come April...whatever poor bastard gets drafted by the Dolphins, Bengals, Titans, et al, trust me...the fans will be screaming their heads off to get this latest, greatest franchise "savior" onto the starting roster and get rid of the "mistake" that currently is the QB.  

As many are fond of saying on this board, "Wash. Rinse. Repeat."

Quote: @Ralphie said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Ralphie said:
@JimmyinSD said:

Yup.  The fans bear some of the blame.  Every fan wants a Mahomes-like reversal of fortune for their team.  You'll see it again come April...whatever poor bastard gets drafted by the Dolphins, Bengals, Titans, et al, trust me...the fans will be screaming their heads off to get this latest, greatest franchise "savior" onto the starting roster and get rid of the "mistake" that currently is the QB.  

As many are fond of saying on this board, "Wash. Rinse. Repeat."
better add the Vikings fans to the list as soon as KC has a multiple turn over day.