Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need to find a solution for Elflein
The OL only gave up 1 sack, and it was the first time this season the Philly D allowed more than 100 yards rushing (Vikes had 122).  It's not like the Vikes played a bunch of scrubs out there.  Maybe Elf is the weakest link, but I'm betting yesterday was far from his worst game. 

They also had Hill in there at LT, and Dozier in at RG.  Overall that group handled the Philly DL pretty well.  I was surprised by the pass protection yesterday.  I thought KC would be running for his life all afternoon, but that wasn't the case.

lol yes he whiffed on a couple but he also crushed a lot more.  What I do not like is his standing in space looking for somebody to hit on pass protection.  Tells me he either thinks it is somebody else;s man or he had no clue who he should block.  

Quote: @mjollnir_k said:
lol yes he whiffed on a couple but he also crushed a lot more.  What I do not like is his standing in space looking for somebody to hit on pass protection.  Tells me he either thinks it is somebody else;s man or he had no clue who he should block.  
I prefer him to accept being beat and looking for somebody else to block than to turn and chase the man that is already through the hole and thus letting LBs come walking in behind him.  It sucks when an OLman gets beat,  but to often they compound the problem by turning their back to the LOS and that is a green light for any LBs that might be considering coming,  or a stunt that is designed to loop around as well.   

Elf is grading out decent.  Bradbury is not.  Give them a year to work together and I bet we see much better results.  

Quote: @HappyViking said:
The OL only gave up 1 sack, and it was the first time this season the Philly D allowed more than 100 yards rushing (Vikes had 122).  It's not like the Vikes played a bunch of scrubs out there.  Maybe Elf is the weakest link, but I'm betting yesterday was far from his worst game. 

They also had Hill in there at LT, and Dozier in at RG.  Overall that group handled the Philly DL pretty well.  I was surprised by the pass protection yesterday.  I thought KC would be running for his life all afternoon, but that wasn't the case.
Philly D hasn't been getting after the QB other than the Jets rookie last week.  And part of it was jumping to an early lead, our offense had them thinking run all day.  But it was a good day, and I will take it.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Vikings need to keep plugging on OL draft picks in this upcoming draft. 
We do but we also need to draft a QB high up there and most of our deffensive backfield is up on their contracts. 

A lot of folks here are probably older fans like me who were around to watch it all in the 70's.   So do you remember what they used to say back then before the internet age of instant gratification?  When a new coach/gm took over a team, they would say they had a 5 year plan.  Zimmer's 5 year plan revolved around Teddy on O and that all unraveled due to the knee.    And when they talked about an oline, they would say the same guys needed to play together for a few years, as many as 5 I remembering hearing, to be really good together.  

Maybe Elflein just needs more time to get his ankle right, get his game right, etc.   Work with a rookie center, get the chemistry going, learn the new Kubiak/Dennison scheme.  We are a whopping 6 games into this first year of that scheme and of Bradbury's career.   Who knows, maybe it really does take some time to develop, even though people nowadays think spouting something on the internet like "HE SUCKS" or "BUST" means so very much after watching a couple games of a very young fellow's career.

Quote: @comet52 said:
A lot of folks here are probably older fans like me who were around to watch it all in the 70's.   So do you remember what they used to say back then before the internet age of instant gratification?  When a new coach/gm took over a team, they would say they had a 5 year plan.  Zimmer's 5 year plan revolved around Teddy on O and that all unraveled due to the knee.    And when they talked about an oline, they would say the same guys needed to play together for a few years, as many as 5 I remembering hearing, to be really good together.  

Maybe Elflein just needs more time to get his ankle right, get his game right, etc.   Work with a rookie center, get the chemistry going, learn the new Kubiak/Dennison scheme.  We are a whopping 6 games into this first year of that scheme and of Bradbury's career.   Who knows, maybe it really does take some time to develop, even though people nowadays think spouting something on the internet like "HE SUCKS" or "BUST" means so very much after watching a couple games of a very young fellow's career.
Not giving up on him yet but he was the lowest rated Center in the League by a country mile last year. And not athletically as strong of a fit in an OZBS. He's also stuck out like a sore thumb vs. Kline, a journeyman vet.

Honestly, I like him as a swing interior backup for Center and Guard ala Berger. I also want to see an upgrade from Reiff. Time together to gel doesn't overcome a lack of ability to handle speed rushers.

We are seeing now why Dozier is a career backup. Kline, get back soon. Dru Samia must be raw as sushi still.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
We are seeing now why Dozier is a career backup. Kline, get back soon. Dru Samia must be raw as sushi still.
Kline has been a pleasant surprise for sure.