Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need to find a solution for Elflein
He whiffed on so many blocks today. He just doesn't have any strength to hold up at the point of attack, and when
they put him on the move, he often misses his assignment and fails to make contact with his man. Eagles line made
him look silly today. Unfortunately with Klein out, Sumia supposedly not ready, Reiff banged up, I'm not sure what we
do except give Jones a shot. For some unknown reason they refuse to play him even though he clearly performed
better than Elf in the preseason. 

I sure understand why they drafted a new center. They are hoping Elf can develop into a guard. I hope so too, but have my doubts.

Lol, clearly better.  Against lesser talent of course.

Elf missed on a few, but he wasn't awful today.  Held up pretty well against a great defensive line.

I don't think he is in the plans for very much longer with this team. 

I'll have to watch again, but seeing as Fletcher Cox was a non-factor, I'm not sure anyone on the interior was worthy of being called out.

I also would say that he had one of his better days today. The one quick sack was the only real glaring bad spot for the line. Those happen. He looked like he didn't even have a clue where his guy went. Just blew right past him. 

Thing about OL play (and it applies to every team): They are successful on most plays... but the few times that they are beaten, it is REALLY noticeable.  What isn't noticeable is all the times that they had successful blocks.  
That being said... Elf seems to have fewer successful blocks than I'd like to see...

Quote: @TBro said:
He whiffed on so many blocks today. He just doesn't have any strength to hold up at the point of attack, and when
they put him on the move, he often misses his assignment and fails to make contact with his man. Eagles line made
him look silly today. Unfortunately with Klein out, Sumia supposedly not ready, Reiff banged up, I'm not sure what we
do except give Jones a shot. For some unknown reason they refuse to play him even though he clearly performed
better than Elf in the preseason. 

There was a play that made Elf look bad, but he was expecting help from the inside.
  Do we even know what his assignment was? We know there was miscommunication, but was it Elflein or was it Bradbury?

Vikings need to keep plugging on OL draft picks in this upcoming draft. 

IIRC on the one glaring bad play it looked like Elf was expecting more than just a quick chip from Bradbury,  Elf looked outside and then was sliding to pick up the DT but Bradbury had already let him go,  I dont think I have enough information on that one to say who screwed up.  Just like on a later play when Dozier blocked down and ONeill blocked out and nobody accounted for Cox... Fletcher freaking Cox went unaccounted for.   Elf is the weak link currently,  but we know he has the game to play with these guys,  his rookie year was no mirage,  he just needs to get back to where he was only this time from the OG spot.