Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good to See Them, But...
Not sure what there was to be impressed about last night, but its preseason. I have the feeling we'll be saying that about the offensive line every week until Week 1 of the season. 

Haven't yet watched it all but I'm through the half. LIked what I saw from both Easton and Elflein. Couple of edge breakdowns by both Remmers and Hill, Boone and Berger were OK. Pass blocking was about what I expected. Expected better run blocking though. Biggest disappointment was the inability to STOP the run. Man, talk about getting gashed. On paper, this should be a top 5 defense. Last night they looked bottom 5. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
Haven't yet watched it all but I'm through the half. LIked what I saw from both Easton and Elflein. Couple of edge breakdowns by both Remmers and Hill, Boone and Berger were OK. Pass blocking was about what I expected. Expected better run blocking though. Biggest disappointment was the inability to STOP the run. Man, talk about getting gashed. On paper, this should be a top 5 defense. Last night they looked bottom 5. 

I was disappointed with the run defense too. Hoping they can step it up.

Color me unimpressed.  Bland everything.  Didn't see a single impressive play out of our starters on either side of the ball.  Griff got a sack...so that maybe?  But he's paid to get at least one a game.  Our D line gave up "huge" chunks in the run game.  Pass D gave up more...  Offense looked VERY familiar with 75 getting a flag at the worst time and sacks given up.  Leslie Frazier's D out played them, our second stringers looked more like the offense we will see once the season starts... at least I hope.  Aggressively attacking downfield and being less predictable.   

Ham played well, Newby... love that name hope he sticks, played well too.  Wait... I guess we got a 60 yard punt... I'd count that as an impressive play... but he ended the night with a 44 yard average. 

Cook?  meh.  Hunter?  meh.  Diggs?  meh.  Barr?  meh.  Treadwell... did he play?   

This is a 10+ win team...Everyone calm down lol!

I am happy to read this morning Waynes is a minor injury. 

Remmers is going to get beat down in pass-pro, we knew it and he's gotta knock some rust off at this point too. Lets get Reiff and LM in the mix keep plugging away.

Lots of bright spots last night in the young guys and Easton too. 

Maybe that is what the defense needed. I don't want them getting lost in hype. I want them focused and ready to play. This way there are hungry and motivated. I don't need flash or buzz, I need results. They better bring it. On paper this defense is one of a kind. It's time to back up the talk. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
This is a 10+ win team...Everyone calm down lol!

I am happy to read this morning Waynes is a minor injury. 

Remmers is going to get beat down in pass-pro, we knew it and he's gotta knock some rust off at this point too. Lets get Reiff and LM in the mix keep plugging away.

Lots of bright spots last night in the young guys and Easton too. 
Hi PF, I hope you're right, but I just don't see a 10+ win team.  This offense has no "punch", and the five yard throws just doesn't get it done.  Our defense is good when we have a lead, but that may not happen often.  Teams ran all over this Viking D last season, and I think teams will attack our defense with the rush again this year.

Hope they kick a$$ this year, but I'm not expecting much going into this season.  I'll believe 10-6 or better when I see it.

Yup, the #1 run offense from last year ran well without their #1 RB...And put up zero points on our starting D...

A pretty disappointing outing in general. For guys like Tom Johnson to go out and tell the world that this defense is the best in the league makes me want to crack them all over the head. Shut your mouth and get it done on the field. Embarrassing. No run D again from the 1s. As for the O, it was pathetic as always (other than the short passes to Dalvin). I feel like being "that fan" this morning--bitching about everything (could it be the fact that I'm having issues at work today?? perhaps...) and finding nothing to smile about.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Yup, the #1 run offense from last year ran well without their #1 RB...And put up zero points on our starting D...
Hey Barr, of course it's preseason so it doesn't matter one bit about any score.  I guess I'm still sour about last season's flop, and I don't think they did enough in the off season to improve much.  What did they do to improve the run D?  The second half of last season showed a glaring weakness vs the run.  How about the Colts and Packers games late last season?  They couldn't stop the pass either once the running game was established.

I'm a huge Viking fan; I'll be watching, but my expectations for this team is way lower than prior years.  I guess they've worn me down some. B)