Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins has regressed?
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
I am putting about half on play calling and OL play,  we know he can make all the throws,  we know that he can play the position,  but once again our QB has lost confidence in his protection and that is leading to running through his progressions to quickly and rushing his throws or just flat out bailing out of plays.  KC needs to get his shit wired a little tighter,  but as much as he is getting hit,  I cant blame him for not being comfortable back there.   

I havent seen the numbers from yesterdays pass plays (hits, sacks, rushes etc)  but he seemed to be under duress on well over half the drop backs.... and if an OL can pass protect they damn well better be able to run black and that was a joke yesterday as well.

The entire offseason narrative was about how Kubiak and Dennison were going to spin OL straw into gold. Yes, they drafted Bradbury but rookies rarely excel right out of the gates. Our only other significant addition was Josh Kline.
But this management should have been prioritizing the OL as soon as they signed Cousins (if not sooner). Instead, they spent remaining cap space on Sheldon Richardson and used their #1 pick on another CB. I'm not trying to start another Will Hernandez (or Austin Corbett or Braden Smith) debate - but management did not treat the OL need as urgent. I suspect there may even have been some idea that Cousins himself would somehow elevate the play of the OL and other elements of our offense.

Quote: @Jor-El said:

@JimmyinSD said:
I am putting about half on play calling and OL play,  we know he can make all the throws,  we know that he can play the position,  but once again our QB has lost confidence in his protection and that is leading to running through his progressions to quickly and rushing his throws or just flat out bailing out of plays.  KC needs to get his shit wired a little tighter,  but as much as he is getting hit,  I cant blame him for not being comfortable back there.   

I havent seen the numbers from yesterdays pass plays (hits, sacks, rushes etc)  but he seemed to be under duress on well over half the drop backs.... and if an OL can pass protect they damn well better be able to run black and that was a joke yesterday as well.

The entire offseason narrative was about how Kubiak and Dennison were going to spin OL straw into gold. Yes, they drafted Bradbury but rookies rarely excel right out of the gates. Our only other significant addition was Josh Kline.
But this management should have been prioritizing the OL as soon as they signed Cousins (if not sooner). Instead, they spent remaining cap space on Sheldon Richardson and used their #1 pick on another CB. I'm not trying to start another Will Hernandez (or Austin Corbett or Braden Smith) debate - but management did not treat the OL need as urgent. I suspect there may even have been some idea that Cousins himself would somehow elevate the play of the OL and other elements of our offense.
its a sentiment that has been echoed by many far before KC was ever a gleam in Spielmans eye... WE WILL NEVER HAVE QUALITY QB PLAY UNTIL WE ADDRESS OUR OL!  

and its becoming increasingly clear that as long as Zimmer is here and dabbling with the O that we will be cursed with unimaginative play calling and mediocre results at best.

its time.... start with the GM now and give him time to start preparing for the rebuild.  Let him work with Zimmer and the existing coaches for the interm to decide if any are worth retaining/promoting,  and go into the offseason with a plan in place.

@purplefaithful said:
The Capt'n is shell shocked, he can make all the throws.

I would be too playing behind Elflein and Reiff. Bradbury has not been good at pass pro. 

Disappointing is all I can say -- even going into the season never expecting to win at Lamblow or Soldier Field. 
I think every member of the OL should be buying Kirk some sort of gift today as none of them earned their game check anymore than he did.

I thought Mack was going to take KC's arm off at the shoulder on that one strip sack.  But Kirk is ripped for his fumble.  

Again, the coaching staff knows quite well what Chicago can do with their pass rush...specifically what Mack can do.  Putting Reif to protect Kirk's blindside is not the answer...not now or ever.

Quote: @Ralphie said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:

I would be too playing behind Elflein and Reiff. Bradbury has not been good at pass pro. 

Disappointing is all I can say -- even going into the season never expecting to win at Lamblow or Soldier Field. 
I think every member of the OL should be buying Kirk some sort of gift today as none of them earned their game check anymore than he did.

I thought Mack was going to take KC's arm off at the shoulder on that one strip sack.  But Kirk is ripped for his fumble.  

Again, the coaching staff knows quite well what Chicago can do with their pass rush...specifically what Mack can do.  Putting Reif to protect Kirk's blindside is not the answer...not now or ever.
No excuse for not having a TE to help on Mack on every play...every damn play regardless of what side he lined up on.

He is who we thought he might be: a player who wilts under pressure. And by "pressure" I mean that in every sense of the word. He'll have some really good games coming up (because that's who he is, too), but we can't count on him.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
He is who we thought he might be: a player who wilts under pressure. And by "pressure" I mean that in every sense of the word. He'll have some really good games coming up (because that's who he is, too), but we can't count on him.
honestly,  the tickets are sold for this year,  they need to start looking at the future and give the fans a reason for optimism next year,  right now I am seeing a team with enough talent to maybe back into the playoffs and maybe win a wild card game... but thats it,  and I dont see that as a step towards a more promising future,  rather a step towards not making the playoffs next year and being worse the following.

every franchise has to hit the reset button at some point,  yes we are a talented roster right now,  but its unrealized talent and with the way it looks right now.. its not coming to reality any time soon.  while I dont think Reiff is a big problem...  if they could get Trent Williams... maybe its something to look at ( I am not sure how much i give up for a 31 year old player though) ... how would Brandon Sherff fit in this system?  Word was he was interested in coming back to the midwest in FA next year with KC and Minny being his desired targets.  Make it happen now and lets start on next year... next week.

@Ralphie said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:

No excuse for not having a TE to help on Mack on every play...every damn play regardless of what side he lined up on.
Not only the blocking help, but where was the chip and release by the TE with a quick throw by Cousins? Yesterday, we needed to adjust our passing game and get the TE's involved and run a lot of short and medium routes like Chicago did to us once Trubisky went out. 4-5 yard quick passes will move the chains and eat clock. We should have used the pass to set-up the run, but this run first scheme of Zimmer being dictated to our O Coordinator and staff leaves no room for improvisation or creativity. Zimmer has said many times that he will get fired doing it his way. He is well down that path if he doesn't pull his head out quickly

@MaroonBells said:
honestly,  the tickets are sold for this year,  they need to start looking at the future and give the fans a reason for optimism next year,  right now I am seeing a team with enough talent to maybe back into the playoffs and maybe win a wild card game... but thats it,  and I dont see that as a step towards a more promising future,  rather a step towards not making the playoffs next year and being worse the following.

every franchise has to hit the reset button at some point,  yes we are a talented roster right now,  but its unrealized talent and with the way it looks right now.. its not coming to reality any time soon.  while I dont think Reiff is a big problem...  if they could get Trent Williams... maybe its something to look at ( I am not sure how much i give up for a 31 year old player though) ... how would Brandon Sherff fit in this system?  Word was he was interested in coming back to the midwest in FA next year with KC and Minny being his desired targets.  Make it happen now and lets start on next year... next week.
I see a more talented team than that. Don't forget this is the team that dominated the Falcons, Raiders and Packers (for 3 quarters). We'll see that team again if they can keep their heads. That's my biggest fear. A loss like this has a corrosive power. 

Too early to think about off season, because this is still a playoff team, but assuming we don't go far in the playoffs and the reason for that is clearly Cousins, gun to my head, I say keep the team together (except Reiff and Waynes), bring in Scherff, draft a QB and a left tackle. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Im reading where some Bear players said they used Zimmer's quotes about Chicago not being that tough to play as motivation. 
They certainly were fired up.
As to cousins.  I am slowly losing faith in him.  He just seems to not be able to pull the trigger on the pass.  Either he isn't confident in the new scheme, or he is gunshy after his stupid throw in GB.  Whatever the case, he needs to get out of his own head.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:

I see a more talented team than that. Don't forget this is the team that dominated the Falcons, Raiders and Packers (for 3 quarters). We'll see that team again if they can keep their heads. That's my biggest fear. A loss like this has a corrosive power. 

Too early to think about off season, because this is still a playoff team, but assuming we don't go far in the playoffs and the reason for that is clearly Cousins, gun to my head, I say keep the team together (except Reiff and Waynes), bring in Scherff, draft a QB and a left tackle. 

I agree the team has talent,  but I dont think we have the talent at the right positions to contend for a lombardi and until we do we are just pissin in the wind with the talent we do have.

are the playoffs really enough though?  i know the whole get there and its a new season mantra,  but the bears just showed us how far from being a contender we really are,  we are going no where with an OL that cant do better than what we saw yesterday and a QB that gets rattled as easy as KC is showing to get rattled.  IMO we are 2 years from being that team at least and playing for each year to be as much as it can is just going to delay the process.  we are kind of stuck with Reiff until we KNOW that we have his replacement,  unless we draft that guy early (round 1) its not very likely he starts the season at LT,  and the need for QB is suggesting that we should be looking RD 1 there as well.  I think we need to be moving some older more expensive pieces before the trade deadline and trying to get either some mid round picks or some place holders for next year to allow mid round picks time to develop.