Which RBs Would You Take Over Cook?
Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Saquon?
Zeke?
Alvin?
Melvin?
Christian?

Discuss
Thats a who's who of tail-backs....Just glad we have a guy who can be mentioned with some of the greats of this era. 

At this very moment I wouldn't take anyone over Cook.  The question is durability of course, which hopefully he can show from from now on.  I'm certain fans of the teams of each of those backs would choose their own guy though. 

I wouldn't mind having any of those guys EXCEPT Zeke.  I can't stand that guy.  Nice belly!  I'm not saying he's not good, but I do think he's getting the benefit of Dallas' line.  He's much better than DeMarco Murray, but we saw how pedestrian he looked when he left Dallas. 

I like Alvin Kamara a lot...

Cook has significant upside, Kamara has proven it already. 

For this team in this offense, Cook fits like a glove. He's amazing.
I'd put him right even with the backs you listed, which is to say he's tops in the league right now.

I like Cook a lot.  I
love him as a scheme fit for us, much less so for other schemes.  I may be proven wrong, but I’m not really
convinced he’s ever going to be really durable. 
I think he runs so hard for his size that he’s bound to struggle with
durability issues, and I especially worry that we’re going to lean on the run
too much sometimes and he’s going to take too many hits and wear down.  I think we overused him his first two years.  I’d really like to see a lot more Mattison
during games we go heavy on the run.  I
think 20ish touches is pretty optimal for Cook.

I’d probably take Saquon or Alvin ahead of him just because
I have more faith in them being healthy enough to play more and having a proven
track record, but I really think his sky is the limit if he can stay healthy.
But regardless of back, I’d much rather invest in the OLine
than in the RB, so it’s nice that we have Cook while we do, but I wouldn’t
break the bank to keep him.

I just had this conversation with a buddy. If healthy, Cook is the best and most talented back in the game. Cook was leading the league in rushing in his rookie year before his knee. He is just that good.

I'd say keep Cook over any other back.  He's been awesome, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  B)

Quote: @medaille said:
I like Cook a lot.  I
love him as a scheme fit for us, much less so for other schemes.  I may be proven wrong, but I’m not really
convinced he’s ever going to be really durable. 
I think he runs so hard for his size that he’s bound to struggle with
durability issues, and I especially worry that we’re going to lean on the run
too much sometimes and he’s going to take too many hits and wear down.  I think we overused him his first two years.  I’d really like to see a lot more Mattison

I’d probably take Saquon or Alvin ahead of him just because
I have more faith in them being healthy enough to play more and having a proven
track record, but I really think his sky is the limit if he can stay healthy.
But regardless of back, I’d much rather invest in the OLine
than in the RB, so it’s nice that we have Cook while we do, but I wouldn’t
break the bank to keep him.
I disagree with the durability issue.  It was a knee injury.  I don't see ACL injuries as durability, but just a result of playing a physical game.  Last year it was hamstrings, and IMO that often accompanies the recovery.  Compensation, overuse, whatever goes with rehab can cause other minor nagging injuries.  I think Cook is so elusive, he doesn't take lots of the big hits that can add up.  He will deliver a blow on occasion like he did to the Falcon LB.  But overall he doesn't take many big hits.
That said, I agree on getting Mattison more carries as the D wears down.  I liked last game where Cook could have had lots more yardage and touches late in the game, but Mattison and Boone took them.

McCaffrey is the only one I'd consider but I'd still take Cook first, then him.

Quote: @medaille said:
 I think we overused him his first two years.  I’d really like to see a lot more Mattison
I don't disagree with anything you wrote... other than, I do sort of question your comment that we overused him, and that statement connected to 20ish touches being optimal.  That number is pretty much the high end of his typical games.  We only got him for 3.5 games in year one (two with fewer than 15 touches, one with "20ish" and one slightly more.)  In his 11 games last season he only got more than 20 touches (22) in week 1.  Until weeks 1 and 2 this season he hadn't rushed the ball even 20 times in a game since his 3rd in the NFL. 

Personally I wouldn't consider him as overused in any game yet, and they do appear to be making sure they don't, such as keeping him out at the end of W3. Usually 250 carries in a season for a primary back hasn't been considered too high of a number.  That's around 15-16 carries/game, which is just over what Cook has averaged in the NFL.