Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outside of Minnesota viewers
Fun stuff to think about but there's a lot of pitfalls in the theory to research. 

At some point you are going to have technical issues that will need to be dealt with locally. Like say your router or cable modem needs to be reset. As soon as that happens you need someone to reboot your router locally. Although with a decent router or cable modem you can automate the reset each night. Still if there is a game between the time your connection goes bad and the next reset you are without the game. 

The reason that I know this is because I know someone that does this. They are from Nevada and summer up here and they access their slingbox from up here but at times they have a neighbor who has to go in and reboot their stuff. Not often, but from time to time. However, it does work. For a single connection across their gateway - see next paragraph. 

Also are you talking about a single rental unit with multiple sling boxes so that you guys can pare down the cost of a rental? I'd assume you would have one internet connection account and everyone connecting to their slingbox through that connection. First, that's going to be a significant amount of bandwidth across a consumer access so not sure that will work great. Second, if Sling was smart they built technology around limiting connections coming from the same gateway. 

It is an interesting idea and something that I might be able to help with in a number of ways if it is viable. I have a rental studio that I share with another band. My share of the rent is $37.75/mo and we are looking into getting dedicated internet in that studio (the internet provided by the building is terrible because multiple people streaming and accessing - goes to my point above) We would be getting business class internet piped in but, since it isn't a residence or a unit with an individually billable address there are some steps that need to get figured out. If it can even be done. But if it CAN be done I would be local to be able to do any work that needs to be done on site... Because with internet service there always is something. 

This google search provides some discussion on the subject. 

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS749US749&q=multiple+slingboxes+behind+one+router&oq=multiple+slingboxes+behind+one+&gs_l=psy-ab.3.0.33i22i29i30k1.16185.23879.0.26359.31.30.0.0.0.0.265.3175.9j10j5.24.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..7.21.2888...0j0i131k1j0i67k1j0i22i30k1j33i160k1j33i21k1.kmGmvz-ivGg

If the bandwidth issue isn't a big deal (Though it looks like it is from some people's experiences of multiple connections at the same time) you will need to do some nifty port forwarding and IP address setup. Nothing too difficult, but it isn't plug and play either. I wouldn't use an out of the box comcast or centurylink provided combination modem/router. 

I have a buddy that might be able to better answer what would be needed on the networking side of things to provide decent individual streams. 

You likely would want to research where you can get the highest speed internet for the cheapest cost inside the local viewing area. And then from there find your cheapest rental unit. 

I would pay $10.00 per game but no monthly rate.

I, too, had the NFL Sunday Ticket since it's inception but let it go several years ago.  I got tired of having to whine or threaten to leave to get them to lower the rate each year.
I never understood DirecTV's marketing philosophy when it comes to the NFL.  Why buy the whole season ticket to watch out-of-market games for every NFL team?  Who cares to watch a Browns/Chargers game?  I would have gladly paid  up to $100 per year just for my favorite teams games only. 
Here in Milwaukee the Vikes are on twice for free on local TV plus the occasional Bears/Vikes or Lions/Vikes when the Puke aren't on.  Plus the other random Thursday, Sunday or Monday night games they appear on and we're talking about 4 or 5 games per year.
Yeah, it sucks not to watch them more often, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay extra for something I'll never watch.

I still have Sunday Ticket and I actually like having the ability to choose what game to watch when the Vikes aren't on.  Even though a lot of my non Viking watching is the Red Zone channel I will often tune into a specific game that looks interesting.

Even though it's expensive I keep paying, I guess because the NFL is probably my one real vice and it's a lot cheaper than spending a lot of time in sports bar etc.

2nd internet line.

WiFi enabled power outlet.

Plug the main internet router into the outlet. Configure the WiFi to link with the 2nd.

Boom. Reset it on the go.

Lol... its fun to imagine anyway...

Quote: @"BlackMagic7" said:
2nd internet line.

WiFi enabled power outlet.

Plug the main internet router into the outlet. Configure the WiFi to link with the 2nd.

Boom. Reset it on the go.

Lol... its fun to imagine anyway...
Hahaha at that point you may as well go with an official option. 

What could actually work a lot better is for those of us in the cities is for each of us to give out our info on gameday to one other person for our "On the go" services. 

Unfortunately my solution would require sending me your mobile device weekly as you have to synch to my Tablo weekly on a local network. Even still a cheap device that can be casted to a TV could be mailed back and forth fairly easily. 

Get a cheap android tablet, mail it to me and i will synch and send it back to you. 

https://www.tablotv.com/blog/access-your...o-connect/

Wouldn't the easiest thing be to use a Minnesota address to get the slingTV  blue package (includes  local fox feed) or one of the others that include streaming of local tv stations?  That would eliminate the need to stream out.

Quote: @"silverjoel" said:
Wouldn't the easiest thing be to use a Minnesota address to get the slingTV  blue package (includes  local fox feed) or one of the others that include streaming of local tv stations?  That would eliminate the need to stream out.
That's a potential option too but I think they were looking to see how to get multiple folks a solution and at a fairly cheap rate. I don't remember how many can connect to my slingtv account but that is something I have as well.

Also CBS isn't on sling I believe.