Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: you Remember where you were 18 years ago today?
Quote: @ThunderGod said:
@Vanguard83 said:
As many of you know I'm a High School History teacher.  Our first child was born five days earlier.  After taking some time off of work. That morning (Sept. 11) I was returning back to work.  Instead of the traditional cigars, I was going to pass out 
HERESHEIS bars (Hersehey's chocolate bars with my daughter name, weight, etc.)

Turned on the news to see the first World Trade tower burning. At the time news reports were just reporting it as a tragedy, nothing associated with a terrorist plot just yet.  I had to leave for work, but listened to news reports on the radio.

When I got to work, several of my students were lined up outside my classroom, I unlocked and the whole day we watched the news reports.  I told them that this was what historians call a "watershed event" (Pearl Harbor, JFK in Dallas) and that we needed to watch and stay informed.  Kids were glued to the news reports / as was I.

I thought "What type of world did I bring my daughter in to?"

I held on to those HERESHEIS bars to celebrate her birth for a few days.....Eventually I handed them out, a little more melancholy, and a lot less celebratory.

V83
I must be getting too old.  I remember where I was on 911 but I also remember where I was when I heard JFK was shot, MLK was shot, Bobby was shot, and the night we bombed Bagdad and kicked off Desert Storm.
No, I don't remember when "some people did something" at Pear Harbor.

^^^ This

I sure do. We had recently moved to LA from Manhattan.  My wife is a born and bred New Yorker, I lived there for 20 years.  Our daughter was born on Sept. 9th—2 days prior to 9/11 and we still had family on both sides living in NYC.  In the midst of our private joy we got a call to turn on the TV. It was surreal to watch an area we knew so well, so devastated. We couldn’t get through on the phone—to check on family.  Ultimately found everyone was ok.  Never, ever forget it.  To this day, when I visit, I can’t bring myself to visit the memorial.  I hear its beautiful.  I just can’t do it.

^^^^^My daughter born Sept. 6th

At college, was in the shower really hungover from the previous evening. My roomie asked if I had heard that a plane hit the tower. It didnt register till I made it to the room and saw the tv. Until then I thought it was a small plane had hit the radio towers north of town vs the twin towers. 

Saw the second plane hit on Tv like many others. We were in podunk WI and there were students concerned that terrorist were going to attack the college. As irrational as it was I remember people staying outside buildings that day.

Watched tv all day. Fuck terrorists. It makes me sick even today.  Unfortunatley they won that day. The world has never been the same and never will. 

knowing how I felt that day,  i cant imagine how people would have felt when the Japanese bombed Pearl.   we had all the information as it happened and it still wasnt fast enough to keep up with the rumors and such,  imagine how long it must have been and the fear and what not when Pearl Harbor was bombed.

Seating at my desk, hitting refresh every 30 seconds...our firm provided brokerage platforms...knew of several people who never went home...

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
knowing how I felt that day,  i cant imagine how people would have felt when the Japanese bombed Pearl.   we had all the information as it happened and it still wasnt fast enough to keep up with the rumors and such,  imagine how long it must have been and the fear and what not when Pearl Harbor was bombed.
I keep thinking and saying the same things about it with my kids. Theyre 8 and 10 and have no concept of pre 911 america. Similarly to how we didnt live through Pearl Harbor. 

A not often told story about 9/11. As I was watching this I immediately thought of Dunkirk. But, as Tom Hanks says near the end, this was even bigger than that...

For those of us over 40 I don't think anyone will forget where they were.