Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: you Remember where you were 18 years ago today?
I do...One of the saddest days ever.

[Image: september-11-world-trade-53374593.jpg]

I remember. What a horrible day. The tragedy continues with what the first responders are going through. 

[Image: 758x426_flag__featured_441px.jpg]

How could somebody forget?  Although sadly I think many have.

As many of you know I'm a High School History teacher.  Our first child was born five days earlier.  After taking some time off of work. That morning (Sept. 11) I was returning back to work.  Instead of the traditional cigars, I was going to pass out 
HERESHEIS bars (Hersehey's chocolate bars with my daughter name, weight, etc.)

Turned on the news to see the first World Trade tower burning. At the time news reports were just reporting it as a tragedy, nothing associated with a terrorist plot just yet.  I had to leave for work, but listened to news reports on the radio.

When I got to work, several of my students were lined up outside my classroom, I unlocked and the whole day we watched the news reports.  I told them that this was what historians call a "watershed event" (Pearl Harbor, JFK in Dallas) and that we needed to watch and stay informed.  Kids were glued to the news reports / as was I.

I thought "What type of world did I bring my daughter in to?"

I held on to those HERESHEIS bars to celebrate her birth for a few days.....Eventually I handed them out, a little more melancholy, and a lot less celebratory.

V83

I was in Atlanta, and I do remember.  I had a heck of a time getting back home the following Friday as many flights were still cancelled.  A co-worker drove from his place in Cleveland to NY because his wife was in a meeting at the World Trade Center.  She made it out safely, but he lost all contact with here most of that day.

I remember, my girlfriend and I watched it all day on the television.  We were both thinking of our kids.  Her oldest boy was in basic training in Great Lakes, IL for the Navy at this time.  My son and her other son had just enlisted, my son with the Army and her son with Navy like his older brother.  We were so worried, my God what will happen with our children.

I was in the shower getting ready for work (in LA) and wife came in the bathroom and said you have to come see this NOW.  To say I was completely stunned is an understatement.  Couldn't think of anything else for days.  Vanguard was right on when he told his students it was a Watershed Event in our history.

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
As many of you know I'm a High School History teacher.  Our first child was born five days earlier.  After taking some time off of work. That morning (Sept. 11) I was returning back to work.  Instead of the traditional cigars, I was going to pass out 
HERESHEIS bars (Hersehey's chocolate bars with my daughter name, weight, etc.)

Turned on the news to see the first World Trade tower burning. At the time news reports were just reporting it as a tragedy, nothing associated with a terrorist plot just yet.  I had to leave for work, but listened to news reports on the radio.

When I got to work, several of my students were lined up outside my classroom, I unlocked and the whole day we watched the news reports.  I told them that this was what historians call a "watershed event" (Pearl Harbor, JFK in Dallas) and that we needed to watch and stay informed.  Kids were glued to the news reports / as was I.

I thought "What type of world did I bring my daughter in to?"

I held on to those HERESHEIS bars to celebrate her birth for a few days.....Eventually I handed them out, a little more melancholy, and a lot less celebratory.

V83
I must be getting too old.  I remember where I was on 911 but I also remember where I was when I heard JFK was shot, MLK was shot, Bobby was shot, and the night we bombed Bagdad and kicked off Desert Storm.
No, I don't remember when "some people did something" at Pear Harbor.

Hard to believe those kids in my class that year are now in their mid 30's.