Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
After 2 preseason games, 1st string O-line pretty dicey...
Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
Still haven't seen a lot of wide zone with the starters in. It could just be me, but it seems they wait until the 2s and 3s are in to run it with any frequency. Also, I get the impression that this team is going to pass a lot more than we thought. 
It is looking like they're going to incorporate stretch zone but really want to be a multiple offense. In my mind its the twist Stefanski is putting on the Kubiak offense. 

But I also get the impression they're going to pass more. I think Zimmer was taken out of context a lot last year when he wanted to run the ball more. What he really is looking for is the ability to control the tempo of the game. The Vikings defense has always been built on the premise that they'll bend but not break when they're backed into their end of the field. That strategy works really well until your offense goes 3 & out and burns 2 minutes or less of the clock. 

When the starters were in they ran 10 time and passed 9. They ate up 10 minutes of game time on those two possessions along which is very encouraging. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
Still haven't seen a lot of wide zone with the starters in. It could just be me, but it seems they wait until the 2s and 3s are in to run it with any frequency. Also, I get the impression that this team is going to pass a lot more than we thought. 
It is looking like they're going to incorporate stretch zone but really want to be a multiple offense. In my mind its the twist Stefanski is putting on the Kubiak offense. 

But I also get the impression they're going to pass more. I think Zimmer was taken out of context a lot last year when he wanted to run the ball more. What he really is looking for is the ability to control the tempo of the game. The Vikings defense has always been built on the premise that they'll bend but not break when they're backed into their end of the field. That strategy works really well until your offense goes 3 & out and burns 2 minutes or less of the clock. 

When the starters were in they ran 10 time and passed 9. They ate up 10 minutes of game time on those two possessions along which is very encouraging. 

I 'third' the notion that we're going to pass a lot. DeFilippo clearly wasn't perfect and should've had Cousins under center way more, but especially with Dalvin Cook hurt last year it's hard to fault the guy for trying to get the ball to Thielen and Diggs. They're the best 2 offensive players on the team. The coaches are going to force them the ball, as they should.
I also totally agree with Guru about how time of possession is what's really important to Zimmer and is key to the Vikings winning games.

Quote: @"pattersaur" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

I 'third' the notion that we're going to pass a lot. DeFilippo clearly wasn't perfect and should've had Cousins under center way more, but especially with Dalvin Cook hurt last year it's hard to fault the guy for trying to get the ball to Thielen and Diggs. They're the best 2 offensive players on the team. The coaches are going to force them the ball, as they should.
I also totally agree with Guru about how time of possession is what's really important to Zimmer and is key to the Vikings winning games.
honestly I doubt Zimmer gives 2 shits about the offense as long as they limit the 3 and outs and put points on the board.  how that is accomplished I dont think he really cares.

Quote: @"pattersaur" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

There isn't much subjectivity to it either. 

In 2015-16 the Vikings defense was above average. They were not a top 5 team in time of possession but were better than average. 

In 2017 the Vikings defense was the best unit in the NFL and were second in NFL time of possession

2018 the defense had its moments and finished in the top 10 but were not as effective overall. Vikings were 27th in time of possession. 

You can have a good defense without strong time of possession numbers, but its not sustainable over the course of an entire season. 

FWIW,  zero sacks allowed...

Get Trent Williams here while there's still a couple of weeks before the season. He would make LT a strength rather than an "adequacy", Reiff is hardly the ideal athlete for a wide zone scheme, and Elflein's play may improve next to a great OT.
Williams is clearly serious and Redskins are starting to panic about their line without him. Send Reiff and a draft pick - our 2nd might seem high but the Vikings are built to win now, and it will be almost a 3rd if this season is a success. Hell, swap Treadwell for Josh Doctson as part of the deal - lets both teams get rid of their 2016 busts with less shame.

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
Get Trent Williams here while there's still a couple of weeks before the season. He would make LT a strength rather than an "adequacy", Reiff is hardly the ideal athlete for a wide zone scheme, and Elflein's play may improve next to a great OT.
Williams is clearly serious and Redskins are starting to panic about their line without him. Send Reiff and a draft pick - our 2nd might seem high but the Vikings are built to win now, and it will be almost a 3rd if this season is a success. Hell, swap Treadwell for Josh Doctson as part of the deal - lets both teams get rid of their 2016 busts with less shame.
I like it. 

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
While Trent Williams would look good on about any team, Elflein is the bigger issue they need to figure out. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
While Trent Williams would look good on about any team, Elflein is the bigger issue they need to figure out. 
I know Elflein hasn't played particularly well, but what's the scoop? Is the team frustrated by his performance? I read somewhere that Dozier might be playing better than Elflein right now. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
I know Elflein hasn't played particularly well, but what's the scoop? Is the team frustrated by his performance? I read somewhere that Dozier might be playing better than Elflein right now. 
Personal observation is that he isn't playing naturally and is in his head. Not sure if its the move to guard that is giving him issues or just fundamentally he is struggling off his poor season a year ago. Dozier has looked ok but I would argue that Brett Jones has been better and Isidora hasn't been half bad as well.