Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
After 2 preseason games, 1st string O-line pretty dicey...
It sucks that O'Neill hasn't been in there. Elflein seems very inconsistent. Not sure what you can take from preseason, but my impression is its still a work in progress at this point. We'll see moving forward. No sacks allowed (that's good) but lots of pressure (that's bad). 

A work in progress is a lot more then Im giving them credit for. I’ve thought its looked worse then last year. 

I would say work in progress too...How many times did our QB's get sacked the last 2 games?

I would say our DL without Linval looked more worrisome to me. Wilson was way too comfortable back there. 

Edit -- w/out Linval.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
I would say work in progress too...How many times did our QB's get sacked the last 2 games?

I would say our DL with Linval looked more worrisome to me. Wilson was way too comfortable back there. 
part of that is by design, Wilson is way less lethal in the pocket than he is when he is on the move.  IIRC there has been talk in the past of the DL working to keep certain mobile QBs in that bubble and slowly collapse it on them vs a hard rush that they can step through and make plays with their feet as well as their arms as coverage breaks down.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
It sucks that O'Neill hasn't been in there. Elflein seems very inconsistent. Not sure what you can take from preseason, but my impression is its still a work in progress at this point. We'll see moving forward. No sacks allowed (that's good) but lots of pressure (that's bad). 
I agree,  I havent been overly impressed with Elfs ability to move the jumbos across from him.  when they are sliding and he gets some help they do OK,  but as far as being able to just move a DT he hasnt really shown me much.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Elf did not look great last night that said Kufanski looks like a KAO that can minimize our weaknesses.  pass pro was pretty darn good

Still haven't seen a lot of wide zone with the starters in. It could just be me, but it seems they wait until the 2s and 3s are in to run it with any frequency. Also, I get the impression that this team is going to pass a lot more than we thought. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
Still haven't seen a lot of wide zone with the starters in. It could just be me, but it seems they wait until the 2s and 3s are in to run it with any frequency. Also, I get the impression that this team is going to pass a lot more than we thought. 
I thought the same thing. We'll see once Cook is playing...

I think they'll stick with the run a lot more than year-ago and we'll see a lot more under center vs last year too. 

D is going to have to keep things close in order to pound the rock as much as Zim would like. I'm still not convinced this is a Top 5 D in 2019. 

It's a work in progress and will continue to be one. There are still moving parts. It's going to take time.

Haven't been able to watch much, but will offer this up.  No sacks, we controlled (as in YUGE) the time of possession, ran the ball well.  Didn't seem like a ton of pressure, Mannion was able to deliver the ball, although on the INT looked like the pressure affected him.
Don't see how it could look worse than last year.  0 sacks and lots of yard running pretty much eliminates last year being better.