Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sloter and Mannion to compete for #2 QB job
Quote: @greediron said:
@kahsmick said:
Sloter needed time to grow, mentally.  If's he's a legit #2 now?  The Vikes already got a huge steal.  
Mannion prolly sets a good bar for the coaches to use as a comparision.  Umma predict Sloter takes control of the spot This Year, with Mannion not lasting to final cuts so he has a chance to hook on somewhere else.
I do think the final choice will come down to Mobility, and Sloter has superior ability to extend plays.  That extra movement may work well with this new athletic Oline.  I doubt we'll get a chance to see it showcased until Regular Season, however.
Exactly.  All those thinking the coaching staff is stupid because they haven't elevated Sloter to the deity status he has attained on the internet would be the first to condemn the stupidity of the staff if they didn't have a reliable backup if Sloter hadn't progressed beyond sushi status yet. 

Developing talent is key, but betting the farm on raw prospects isn't a good long term plan.  So lets see Sloter make some throws against NFL talent before anointing him.
....and to add to your point: how many times have we heard from coaches and players how different preseason and regular season football is? Big difference. Competition will put Sloter in a different mode, basically playing for a spot on the team. No way to know how he'll respond until he's got some pressure. I agree to not hand him anything and now he gets to compete for the #2 spot, which like kahsmick said is a HUGE plus for the Vikings if that can happen as the kid was an UDFA. 

If he can't win the job and Browning shows some good upside, he'll be off the team. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@greediron said:
@kahsmick said:
Sloter needed time to grow, mentally.  If's he's a legit #2 now?  The Vikes already got a huge steal.  
Mannion prolly sets a good bar for the coaches to use as a comparision.  Umma predict Sloter takes control of the spot This Year, with Mannion not lasting to final cuts so he has a chance to hook on somewhere else.
I do think the final choice will come down to Mobility, and Sloter has superior ability to extend plays.  That extra movement may work well with this new athletic Oline.  I doubt we'll get a chance to see it showcased until Regular Season, however.
Exactly.  All those thinking the coaching staff is stupid because they haven't elevated Sloter to the deity status he has attained on the internet would be the first to condemn the stupidity of the staff if they didn't have a reliable backup if Sloter hadn't progressed beyond sushi status yet. 

Developing talent is key, but betting the farm on raw prospects isn't a good long term plan.  So lets see Sloter make some throws against NFL talent before anointing him.
....and to add to your point: how many times have we heard from coaches and players how different preseason and regular season football is? Big difference. Competition will put Sloter in a different mode, basically playing for a spot on the team. No way to know how he'll respond until he's got some pressure. I agree to not hand him anything and now he gets to compete for the #2 spot, which like kahsmick said is a HUGE plus for the Vikings if that can happen as the kid was an UDFA. 

If he can't win the job and Browning shows some good upside, he'll be off the team. 
Mr. August is a real thing.  Especially for QBs.  Who was that QB that Seattle acquired from GB and paid huge $$ to, only to be replaced by Wilson?  He was supposed to be great, always looked good in August and was just held back because Rodgers was the starter.  Took him a long time to finally grasp reading a real defense. 

Point is, playing well against scrubs playing a vanilla scheme doesn't show if you can handle the mental game.  Obviously he has the physical traits, but so have many first rounders that didn't last long in the NFL.

I have the feeling Mannion was brought in for his experience at camp, that's really the only experience hes got.  Don't they put a lot of emphasis on practice tempo and keeping it moving.  Not just rookies and no big name vet, just a true practice body.  

Quote: @NorthernCalVike said:
Slotter will the #2 spot - will become a pro bowler in three years (after taking over for Cousins when his contract is up) and leads us to a Super Bowl victory. He becomes our solid starter for 10+ years with multiple SB wins. People start talking about him being the GOAT.  B)

Thanks Holton!

Quote: @StickyBun said:

The dreaded worst case scenario is that thru TC and preseason, both Sloter and Mannion look like hot dog shit. 

Mannion playing lights out is probably the dreaded best case scenario...

For Sloter, it comes down to how he looks besides throwing the ball. Calling plays right, lining guys up right, reading defenses. The more mastery he displays around throwing the ball the more leniency I think he gets passing; the less control he shows the more magic he's gotta perform when dropping back and actually throwing it.

I think it will be very important because Mannion is a long term collegiate QB and he has NFL experience. His challenge is simply translating our playbook and executing. Sloter should be at an advantage with the playbook and our roster - yet, with his lack of experience as a QB and the NFL's tough development process, being tossed into the fire for a handful of preseason quarters, he really should be proving he's ready. Or at least, truly ready to be "rolled with" should he need to enter a game.

Nothing against Siemian but I do wish we didn't make that trade and I wish he wasn't making close to $2 million in cap space we couldn't dump after the fact. I think they would have rolled with him last year after his preseason... I really do believe it's his job to lose this year. The joke in the last post had some truth in it - Mannion has the resume to probably stun some folks if he had himself a Sloter-type preseason. I can somewhat envision a "Keenum 2" label already. But seriously, the better he plays the more nail biting the Sloter decision will seem.

It will be fun day in and out!

Outside of athletic ability, arm speed, etc., I believe that Klint Kubiak had a role of picking this kid up for Denver back in 2017.  Big arm, great mobility for play action, he would have all the physical tools of a Kubiak type offense, would love to see him assert himself and take the position.  

In the 21st century, who knows what will work at QB.  Sloter looks to have the same physical skills of a Trubisky, maybe better but does have the QB aptitude?  We will find out and if he ends up being a surprise, what surprise taht could be

Quote: @NorthernCalVike said:
Slotter will the #2 spot - will become a pro bowler in three years (after taking over for Cousins when his contract is up) and leads us to a Super Bowl victory. He becomes our solid starter for 10+ years with multiple SB wins. People start talking about him being the GOAT.  B)
Damnit NoCal we've talked about this before---drink the koolaid, but for the love of all that is purple. don't mix your meds.

“Sloter’s always been a guy that hasn’t looked very good in practice and he’s played pretty good in games,’’ Zimmer said after a training camp practice.

In the preseason last year, Sloter completed 41 of 56 passes (73.2 percent) for 366 yards with four touchdowns and no interceptions while Siemian completed 26 of 45 (56.5 percent) for 269 yards with two touchdowns and one interception. But with Siemian going mostly against second-team players and Sloter mostly against third-team guys, the latter’s gaudy stats apparently didn’t impress Zimmer a lot.

The Vikings also appear to prefer Mannion’s more even-keel style. Sloter said coaches have told him to have less of what he called a “gunslinger” mentality.

https://thevikingage.com/2019/07/29/lead...qb-battle/

How hard is it to good balls out in practice? If he can't beat out a guy with half his talent, he should be gone.