Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sloter and Mannion to compete for #2 QB job
Spielman confirmed it, said he's looking forward to the competition. Called it an 'important role'. If Kyle Sloter cannot beat this guy out, then this project is officially over. My guess is the Vikings expect him to but need to see it first. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Spielman confirmed it, said he's looking forward to the competition. Called it an 'important role'. If Kyle Sloter cannot beat this guy out, then this project is officially over. My guess is the Vikings expect him to but need to see it first. 
From what I was able to gather from camp reports is that Sloter looked better, but Mannion got more reps with the twos. 

Sloter looked better than Siemen last year...not sure what the issue is? Lack of maturity? Not winning in the QB room? Bad breath?

I am going to be interested to watch this play out.

Hell, John David Booty could beat out Mannion.  Now.  Don't know what the coaching staff is holding against Sloter.

With a decent showing, Browning could be the new developmental #3 QB. Although Mannion was a 3rd round pick, he's a big lumbering guy that fumbled a ton in college. Its all up to Sloter, its not like they brought in Ryan Fitzpatrick to compete with him. 

The dreaded worst case scenario is that thru TC and preseason, both Sloter and Mannion look like hot dog shit. 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Sloter looked better than Siemen last year...not sure what the issue is? Lack of maturity? Not winning in the QB room? Bad breath?
That's what I keep wondering. Is there something non-football going on with him? I've sensed that he can be kinda cocky. Maybe there's some Jeff George in him. You sure as hell can't argue with how he's looked in preseason games. I lost track, but I think it's something like 500 yards, 7 TDs, 0 INTs. 

One bonus to Mannion is that he gives us insight into the Rams. We don't play them in the regular season this year, but that was the team who exposed the weaknesses in our defense. 

Sloter needed time to grow, mentally.  If's he's a legit #2 now?  The Vikes already got a huge steal.  
Mannion prolly sets a good bar for the coaches to use as a comparision.  Umma predict Sloter takes control of the spot This Year, with Mannion not lasting to final cuts so he has a chance to hook on somewhere else.
I do think the final choice will come down to Mobility, and Sloter has superior ability to extend plays.  That extra movement may work well with this new athletic Oline.  I doubt we'll get a chance to see it showcased until Regular Season, however.

Quote: @kahsmick said:
Sloter needed time to grow, mentally.  If's he's a legit #2 now?  The Vikes already got a huge steal.  
Mannion prolly sets a good bar for the coaches to use as a comparision.  Umma predict Sloter takes control of the spot This Year, with Mannion not lasting to final cuts so he has a chance to hook on somewhere else.
I do think the final choice will come down to Mobility, and Sloter has superior ability to extend plays.  That extra movement may work well with this new athletic Oline.  I doubt we'll get a chance to see it showcased until Regular Season, however.
Exactly.  All those thinking the coaching staff is stupid because they haven't elevated Sloter to the deity status he has attained on the internet would be the first to condemn the stupidity of the staff if they didn't have a reliable backup if Sloter hadn't progressed beyond sushi status yet. 

Developing talent is key, but betting the farm on raw prospects isn't a good long term plan.  So lets see Sloter make some throws against NFL talent before anointing him.

Slotter will the #2 spot - will become a pro bowler in three years (after taking over for Cousins when his contract is up) and leads us to a Super Bowl victory. He becomes our solid starter for 10+ years with multiple SB wins. People start talking about him being the GOAT.  B)