Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
$34mm for Dak?
As long as the salary cap rises, all the math works...

If/when the NFL becomes less popular? TV revenue declines? team valuations decline? sponsorship $$ declines? 

It would collapse upon itself.

But I don't know if that is inevitable or not? It seems the league is just as popular as it ever was, with the dark cloud being concussion, cte and brain related injuries. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
As long as the salary cap rises, all the math works...

If/when the NFL becomes less popular? TV revenue declines? team valuations decline? sponsorship $$ declines? 

It would collapse upon itself.

But I don't know if that is inevitable or not? It seems the league is just as popular as it ever was, with the dark cloud being concussion, cte and brain related injuries. 
it only works as long as the % of the contracts on the rise for the position doesnt outpace the cap increase... and other positions that have been traditionally lower paying are starting to see dramatic increases as well.   Look at the money going to interior linemen now compared to 10 years ago,  that jump is certainly outpacing the cap increases.

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
I been saying it for a couple years now and still think teams have to hit reset pretty soon on these escalating QB salaries,  somebody has to pull their heads out and realize that the QB is maybe the most important part of the team,  but if you cant put quality around them then they are a waste of cap space.  I think we will see an increase in the value of QBs in the draft as teams try even harder to keep their cupboards full of cheap talented signal callers in order to avoid having to pay these ridiculous contracts to a proven one. 
People have been saying that for 30 years. It should be impossible to pay a QB $84M in guaranteed money and still have quality around him. But, hey, Harrison Smith, Diggs, Thielen, Rudolph, Kendricks, Barr, Rhodes, Waynes, Reiff, Joseph, and Danielle Hunter aren't complaining much about their salaries...

You throw pots of money at a QB, everyone gasps and two years later it looks like chump change. 
Chump change? I understand the chump part in this. Many folks on most days can't make change for a twenty let along a million. They've priced many right out of the stadiums paying for their fool's notions. Very few. QBs are worth more then $24 million a year. Yet that has suddenly become an insult to a guy who averages 3500 yards and 22 TD's a year. It's crazy, not the new norm.
I think this might be the problem with how some perceive this. You can't compare pro sports money to real money.  It's Monopoly money. Meaningless. The notion of "value" is still a thing, but it's beyond the comprehension of working folks. The market will tell you when something is overpriced. People won't pay it. Whether that's a QB or a hot dog at the stadium. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@suncoastvike said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
I been saying it for a couple years now and still think teams have to hit reset pretty soon on these escalating QB salaries,  somebody has to pull their heads out and realize that the QB is maybe the most important part of the team,  but if you cant put quality around them then they are a waste of cap space.  I think we will see an increase in the value of QBs in the draft as teams try even harder to keep their cupboards full of cheap talented signal callers in order to avoid having to pay these ridiculous contracts to a proven one. 
People have been saying that for 30 years. It should be impossible to pay a QB $84M in guaranteed money and still have quality around him. But, hey, Harrison Smith, Diggs, Thielen, Rudolph, Kendricks, Barr, Rhodes, Waynes, Reiff, Joseph, and Danielle Hunter aren't complaining much about their salaries...

You throw pots of money at a QB, everyone gasps and two years later it looks like chump change. 
Chump change? I understand the chump part in this. Many folks on most days can't make change for a twenty let along a million. They've priced many right out of the stadiums paying for their fool's notions. Very few. QBs are worth more then $24 million a year. Yet that has suddenly become an insult to a guy who averages 3500 yards and 22 TD's a year. It's crazy, not the new norm.
I think this might be the problem with how some perceive this. You can't compare pro sports money to real money.  It's Monopoly money. Meaningless. The notion of "value" is still a thing, but it's beyond the comprehension of working folks. The market will tell you when something is overpriced. People won't pay it. Whether that's a QB or a hot dog at the stadium. 
I agree. Consumers always set prices unless there a monopoly.
I guess my point is while these billionaire owners sit and bitch about attendance and blame it on everything but themselves and their palace stadiums and the $200 tickets and $10 dogs. 
Meanwhile billionaire producers are still making movies that only cost $10-12 a seat. Not really out pricing the cost of living much.
Which is real and which is make believe? Sadly baseball is the only game I can still afford to take the family to.

@MaroonBells said:
@suncoastvike said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:

I guess my point is while these billionaire owners sit and bitch about attendance and blame it on everything but themselves and their palace stadiums and the $200 tickets and $10 dogs. 
Meanwhile billionaire producers are still making movies that only cost $10-12 a seat. Not really out pricing the cost of living much.
Which is real and which is make believe? Sadly baseball is the only game I can still afford to take the family to.
I agree. I want to get in a game this year, but the cost for three airline tickets, two nights hotel and three nose bleed game tickets is probably close to $1500. Is it worth it? One game? Probably not.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@suncoastvike said:
@MaroonBells said:
@suncoastvike said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:

I agree. I want to get in a game this year, but the cost for three airline tickets, two nights hotel and three nose bleed game tickets is probably close to $1500. Is it worth it? One game? Probably not.
in fairness,  in that scenario the game tickets are not really the deciding cost factor are they?  I got tickets to the bears game,  end zone (not my favorite)  row 6 for $180 a seat.  its too much for that view IMO,  but honestly its hard to justify about any entertainment these days with the costs of home theater products dropping all the time and the quality of them going up... but its still an atmosphere thing.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@suncoastvike said:
@MaroonBells said:
@suncoastvike said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:

in fairness,  in that scenario the game tickets are not really the deciding cost factor are they?  I got tickets to the bears game,  end zone (not my favorite)  row 6 for $180 a seat.  its too much for that view IMO,  but honestly its hard to justify about any entertainment these days with the costs of home theater products dropping all the time and the quality of them going up... but its still an atmosphere thing.
That's just it. 3 tickets would cost me around $600.00
I'm within a hour drive to Tampa and a day to Atlanta with relatives there so tickets are the only expenses. That's too much to justify. I've thought about. I really do miss the atmosphere of live football. Just not $600.00 much.

@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@suncoastvike said:
@MaroonBells said:
@suncoastvike said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:

That's just it. 3 tickets would cost me around $600.00
I'm within a hour drive to Tampa and a day to Atlanta with relatives there so tickets are the only expenses. That's too much to justify. I've thought about. I really do miss the atmosphere of live football. Just not $600.00 much.
my response was to Maroon who was talking about airfare and hotels,  in relation to the game price the rest is likely just as expensive... but like I said,  entertainment is all spendy these days,  as long as people keep paying it wont change.   I love going to the games,  but I wont buy nose bleed seats and with all the other bull shit (like the loss of quality tailgating options) attending games in person is becoming a novelty I am learning to live without.

At some point the consumers won't be able to pay the rising costs.  I have no idea when that point will be.
As for Dak... he is WAY over-pricing himself at this point.  He's a game manager... and everyone knows it.  And that's all that they want him to be.  Well, he won't be able to do that much longer, if they can't afford to pay the OL in front of him.  He'll have to be a "play-maker" (like Mahomes) if he's going to get that much money.  And I don't think he's anything like Mahomes.  He's more like an Alex Smith.

Quote: @pumpf said:
At some point the consumers won't be able to pay the rising costs.  I have no idea when that point will be.
Haven't folks been saying that for decades, too? I'm actually surprised at how willing people are to pay more (A LOT MORE) for certain things. They wait in a 20-car line to pay $6 for a cup of coffee that should cost 60 cents. They'll pay twice for a burger to have it delivered by Grubhub. Broncos have sold out every game since 1970, despite the fact that ticket prices have gone up well over 1,000%. I don't see that stopping any time soon. And until it does, the money paid to QBs will just continue to go up in ratio with the salary cap.