Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spielman Comes In As Roto's 7th Best GM
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@kmillard said:
Ok I will bite). I think he has done a good job overall, but the lack of postseason success would put him in the 12-15 range.
I think it's possible to evaluate players, coaches, employees, presidents, etc without using metrics that involve hundreds of other contributing factors. If Zimmer doesn't get out-coached in Philly and Zimmer wins a Super Bowl does that make Spielman a better GM? Not in my opinion. Not as much as, say, hitting on players like TJ Clemmings and Willie Beavers would have, for example. 

Is Eli Manning a better QB than Dan Marino because he won two Super Bowls compared to Marino's zero? No. There is literally no one who would make that argument. Was Jerry Rice a better receiver than Randy Moss because of his wins? No. He just wasn't. Context. Contributing factors. 

Likewise, I think you can evaluate GMs separate from wins and losses. No Super Bowl victory would turn Alex Boone into a good acquisition. No off year is going to turn Xavier Rhodes into a bad acquisition. And based on a balance of hits and misses over the years, he fares pretty well IMO. 
Well, considering that the NFL is THE ultimate TEAM sport, there will ALWAYS be a premium placed on playoff success/failure for GM's, HC's and QB's. Doesn't  matter if YOU think it's "fair", that's the way life in general works. If a factory worker for some gigantic soda manufacturer inadvertently contaminates the product on the packaging line and the ensuing lawsuits costs the company millions of dollars, who gets the blame...the CEO or the careless $10 per hour worker? Of course it's the CEO, and this isn't even an apples to apples comparison....the CEO had NOTHING to do with the hiring or training of that specific individual, whereas a GM and, to a somewhat lesser degree, a HC, has SIGNIFICANT input on EVERY player and coach hired/signed. But the CEO will STILL be fired REGARDLESS of his hands-on culpability, and possibly prosecuted if deaths were involved. That's the price you pay for those 7 or 8 digit annual salaries.

A GM/VP of Player Personnel's PRIMARY job is to WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS. Period. Any professional sport is a RESULTS driven endeavor. They stop giving out participation trophies and "effort medals" once you reach High School. 

Keep trying to convince yourself that Saint Ricky is an elite GM based on a random list from some lame website, whatever floats your boat. The facts remain that 2 playoff wins in 13 seasons sucks donkey balls. Very few teams would find that pathetic record worthy of a 14th try. Just for ONE example, Jerry Reese was the GM of the NYG from 2007 to 2017. His teams during that time had a 8-2 playoff record and won TWO SUPER BOWLS. He was fired after a 3-13 season, which came 1 season after a 11-5 finish, which culminated in a Schpielman Special (aka, a playoff winless season). If you are going to maintain that you would choose the results of Richard's tenure with the Vikings over those of Reese's tenure with the NYG, then we TRULY have nothing further to debate, because you and the legion of Ryckophants obviously have vastly different opinions on what constitutes "success" in the NFL than the opinions of myself and 99% of NFL fans. 

Have a nice day.

What is their ranking based upon?
They say he is a gambler who takes a lot of risks that haven't paid off. The inference would be, the coaching staff isn't delivering, but that seems like BS to me.
How about just ranking these guys by results! That's what it is all about.

Lol

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Lol
Just finishing your thought.