Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KR rules out pay cut: "I'm too young for that"
Quote: @"suncoastvike" said:
@"Kentis" said:
These guys that sign big extensions, should know by now that the last year or 2 of a deal when the guarantees are exhausted, are more or less funny money. Like it or not that’s the way they write those deals. I like Rudy & he’s a great guy & all, but he’s simply not worth top 5 TE money.
Rudy has pulled down $34,720,098 prior to this season, I hope he can get by on a slightly lower salary.
Hate to beat a dead horse but Treadwell has brought down something like $8.5 million in 3 years. Rudy's money seems like alot till you compare what was actually earned.
Yep, as we all know too well, 1st round mistakes are extremely costly! 

Ok so I did this a couple days ago. Google NFL TE rankings. You with find Rudy's name in every top 10 ranking. Go back over the last 4 seasons. Top ten ranking not twice not three times. ALL 4 years top 10 ranking. Usually in the 6-9 range. But top 10 none the least. With how the position has been skewed by what are big WR's calling themselves TE's. He's right there stat wise. Yet his body of work says he should not be paid in the top 5 for that level of consistency and durability. Somebody's going to get a hell of a player. I will lose one of my favorites on this team. The late  Doris Day once said. "Que Sera Sera".

@"Kentis" said:
These guys that sign big extensions, should know by now that the last year or 2 of a deal when the guarantees are exhausted, are more or less funny money. Like it or not that’s the way they write those deals. I like Rudy & he’s a great guy & all, but he’s simply not worth top 5 TE money.
Rudy has pulled down $34,720,098 prior to this season, I hope he can get by on a slightly lower salary.
Hate to beat a dead horse but Treadwell has brought down something like $8.5 million in 3 years. Rudy's money seems like alot till you compare what was actually earned.
per pff,  not that I put a lot of stock in their shit... but to some it gold. 

Kyle Rudolph in 2018

Out of 41 TEs with >29 targets:
27th overall grade
22nd receiving grade

Out of 81 TEs with >107 snaps:
58th pass block grade
59th rum block grade

as far as the Treadwell comparison... lot less money for Treadwell,  and not a huge difference in how they are used and their production based on opportunities.  Rudy is not a top tier offensive threat at TE so really its not really about what he has done,  its how much more has he done than a guy that would work for half his salary.  I dont see a huge drop off without him on the field.  Maybe I am wrong.  I am sure we will find out.

Honestly,  with Diggs and AT being the 1 and 2 on every play,  that really doesnt leave a lot of chances for a #3 receiver or a TE,  especially with Cook out of the back field.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:
@"Kentis" said:

Kyle Rudolph in 2018

27th overall grade
22nd receiving grade

58th pass block grade
59th rum block grade

as far as the Treadwell comparison... lot less money for Treadwell,  and not a huge difference in how they are used and their production based on opportunities.  Rudy is not a top tier offensive threat at TE so really its not really about what he has done,  its how much more has he done than a guy that would work for half his salary.  I dont see a huge drop off without him on the field.  Maybe I am wrong.  I am sure we will find out.

Honestly,  with Diggs and AT being the 1 and 2 on every play,  that really doesnt leave a lot of chances for a #3 receiver or a TE,  especially with Cook out of the back field.
Ok so Treadwell being a busted 1st rounder was a poor comparison. You are telling me this PFF thing I spend no time looking at has a magic formula that makes all those 1st downs Rudy gets for us null and void? I go by writers ranking before this PFF thing I don't get. That and my own freaking eyeballs...and admittedly to much of my heart. I'll deal with it when he's gone.

@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:
@"Kentis" said:

Kyle Rudolph in 2018

27th overall grade
22nd receiving grade

58th pass block grade
59th rum block grade

Ok so Treadwell being a busted 1st rounder was a poor comparison. You are telling me this PFF thing I spend no time looking at has a magic formula that makes all those 1st downs Rudy gets for us null and void? I go by writers ranking before this PFF thing I don't get. That and my own freaking eyeballs...and admittedly to much of my heart. I'll deal with it when he's gone.
For those that believe PFF I submit Joe Berger as evidence they don't know shit.  Or maybe they know shit, but don't care to make the required effort as long as people are clicking on their site.  Which makes me wonder, is half of it clickbait?

@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:
@"Kentis" said:

Kyle Rudolph in 2018

27th overall grade
22nd receiving grade

58th pass block grade
59th rum block grade

nope.... i dindnt tell you anything,  I prefaced it all by saying i dont put much weight in their rankings,  but it was interesting to find that they had ranked as low as they do at a time when he is trying to get paid like a guy much much much higher.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:
@"Kentis" said:

Kyle Rudolph in 2018

27th overall grade
22nd receiving grade

58th pass block grade
59th rum block grade

nope.... i dindnt tell you anything,  I prefaced it all by saying i dont put much weight in their rankings,  but it was interesting to find that they had ranked as low as they do at a time when he is trying to get paid like a guy much much much higher.
Fair enough. You did say you didn't trust them. I don't even know what it is honestly I spent no time looking at it. Other than just to hear other people complain what bulshit it is I wouldn't even know about it. I have looked up Rudy stats as far as percentage of catches to target which is around 80%. And how often and we have used him to get that third and five. He will never be a Gronk or a Graham. Hell Graham isn't even Graham anymore. Those are the guys I mean when you talk about these big wide receivers calling themselves tight ends until it comes time to get their contract then they want to be called a wide receiver. 

My bottom line on this is like Maroon says. Just pay him this year. Don't have to extend him. Play out the deal get a few million somewhere else. We are going to be right at the cap regardless. I know you'd like a few million to play with in case. I still see him as our 3rd best receiving option. Makes the 3rd best pay. Seems to fit. Those just in case scenarios could well be one of those other 2 get hurt. Maybe this new TE is much like Rudy was early in his career till he learned what needs to be done to make it through 16 games. If we are counting on Cook and the new guy. These a BIG ? to me if... Why must we sacrifice one of our leaders on offense while leaving the defense untouchable. 
Maybe this team needs to trust in what leadership can mean.

Shouldn't that be "I'm too productive for a pay cut"?

My bottom line on this is like Maroon says. Just pay him this year. Don't have to extend him. Play out the deal get a few million somewhere else. We are going to be right at the cap regardless. I know you'd like a few million to play with in case. I still see him as our 3rd best receiving option. Makes the 3rd best pay. Seems to fit. Those just in case scenarios could well be one of those other 2 get hurt. Maybe this new TE is much like Rudy was early in his career till he learned what needs to be done to make it through 16 games. If we are counting on Cook and the new guy. These a BIG ? to me if... Why must we sacrifice one of our leaders on offense while leaving the defense untouchable. 
Maybe this team needs to trust in what leadership can mean.
He may not even show up w/o any guaranteed salary, an injury would be catastrophic to him...