Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KR rules out pay cut: "I'm too young for that"

Vikings tight end Kyle Rudolph won't take pay cut to stay but hopes he doesThe tight end wants to remain with the Vikings, but knows other teams would want to acquire him. He had a two-word answer when asked if he'd take a discount to stay.While Vikings tight end Kyle Rudolph has made it clear he will not take any pay cuts to stay with the team, he does believe that if a contract can be worked out, the offense will be much improved in 2019.
“I am really excited about where this offense is headed, under the guidance of [offensive coordinator] Kevin Stefanski, with the influence of [assistant head coach] Gary Kubiak. I am extremely excited about our offensive staff,” Rudolph said. “I think we have the best offensive staff in football and they’re going to put our guys in great situations to be successful.”
What does he think of Kubiak so far?
“I like him a lot,” the Pro Bowl tight end said. “I think he brings a lot of experience to this offense. He is a guy that has played and coached in a lot of Super Bowls.”
Still, Rudolph said “no way” when asked if he’d take a discount deal to stay.
“No I won’t, I am too young for that,” he continued.
Rudolph is due $7.6 million this season.
On the other hand, when he was asked if there was any other club he wanted to join, Rudolph was emphatic again in saying he wanted to stay here.
“Nowhere. I don’t want to go anywhere,” he said. “We want to stay here.”
Rudolph said he believes the team and his representatives are still on the same page in trying to get a deal done.
“They’re working really hard to get it done, and I hope it gets done,” he said.
Rudolph said he thinks there are teams that would trade for him, even if that isn’t his wish.
“I do, but I don’t think they want to,” he said of the Vikings front office. “I don’t think anyone wants to. We want it to end right with me being here.”
http://www.startribune.com/vikings-tight...509989712/

I'd like to keep Rudy around.  But I really don't see what he offers that we can't get from Man-Bun (if he had more opportunities).  Granted, Morgan might not have the hands that Rudy has, but he's just as "quick" (relative term) and equal (in ability) in YAC.  But Rudy is a good guy and has been pretty reliable.  If they can't lock him down to an extension, then I'd prefer to let it all play out next season... and see what kind of FA offers he gets.  I don't think it will be in the same range as he's being paid now.  So... maybe... we can re-sign him in 2020 for a lower number?

This makes me laugh. Nobody in the league is going to want Rudolph at $7.5 million for 2019, including the Vikings. Its why he won't be traded and hasn't been traded. I think Rudolph is one small notch above average and definitely not worth keeping if Minnesota has need for more cap room. He's no difference maker. But if the team can keep him and it doesn't cause any other financial hardships for 2019, great...keep him then. I like the guy. But....don't extend the guy. They just spent a #2 pick on a TE.

I think the Vikings' thought is to pay him for 2019, but not extend him. Especially if Smith looks like a player at TE.

I would offer him a deal with player outs that makes his hit for this and any coming years around 3.5 million per and offer incentives to make it back up to around the 7.5 he is due now.  if he is still relied on like a first tier weapon,  then pay him like one,  but if his role is going to be reduced anyway... move on from him now.   hell offer to pay 2-3 million of his salary in exchange for a 3rd or 4th round pick?

Rudy has a point. The pay cut thing doesn't sync very well. Guy's 29 years old and while there were legit arguments about his proneness to injury early on, he's quietly played 16 games in 4 straight seasons, and if I'm remembering this right, has caught more TDs over that period than any TE in the NFL (that includes Gronk, Kelce, Irtz, etc). He's at least a couple years away from age-related decline. 

What's more, if we're going to run as many 2-tight sets as everyone seems to think, kicking Rudy to the curb means we're banking a helluva lot on a rookie to start and produce at a position where rookies almost never do. Further complicating matters is the fact that we have no obvious WR3 candidate who can pick up that slack if Irv, Morgan and Conklin can't. 

Don't extend him, but pay Rudy one more year. Find the money somewhere else. 

I think someone already pointed out that Rudy's had his numbers limited by having to help our tragic o-line much of the time...so he likely feels like he's earned his money and wants to prove what he can do if freed up to actually catch passes instead of being a third offensive tackle.

I can totally understand that, but it also means that if he DOES get a chance to shine this season...he'd best be blinding.  If he is, then yeah, I hope he plays his whole career here.

Quote: @pumpf said:
I'd like to keep Rudy around.  But I really don't see what he offers that we can't get from Man-Bun (if he had more opportunities).  Granted, Morgan might not have the hands that Rudy has, but he's just as "quick" (relative term) and equal (in ability) in YAC.  But Rudy is a good guy and has been pretty reliable.  If they can't lock him down to an extension, then I'd prefer to let it all play out next season... and see what kind of FA offers he gets.  I don't think it will be in the same range as he's being paid now.  So... maybe... we can re-sign him in 2020 for a lower number?

Really? Morgan has been targeted 19 times in the past three seasons - TOTAL, not per year. Rudolph has been targeted 295 in the same period. So if Morgan looked effective on one of his 16 career catches, it's probably because opposing teams ignore him. His testing numbers never suggested even moderate quickness. Morgan is an excellent blocker and valuable in that role, but If he is targeted 5 times a game like Rudolph, I think he will look like an offensive lineman trying to play TE.

Quote: @Zanary said:
I think someone already pointed out that Rudy's had his numbers limited by having to help our tragic o-line much of the time...so he likely feels like he's earned his money and wants to prove what he can do if freed up to actually catch passes instead of being a third offensive tackle.

I can totally understand that, but it also means that if he DOES get a chance to shine this season...he'd best be blinding.  If he is, then yeah, I hope he plays his whole career here.
That is a great point.  And probably factors into his reluctance to take a paycut.  He has done what has been asked of him without complaining.  Even when that means sacrificing stats that could increase his value. 

He is the Viking man of the year candidate, does tons of charity work locally and as MB points out, been putting up league leading stats while helping block for the shit pile of an o-line.  Yeah, I wouldn't think of a paycut either.

These guys that sign big extensions, should know by now that the last year or 2 of a deal when the guarantees are exhausted, are more or less funny money. Like it or not that’s the way they write those deals. I like Rudy & he’s a great guy & all, but he’s simply not worth top 5 TE money.
Rudy has pulled down $34,720,098 prior to this season, I hope he can get by on a slightly lower salary.

Quote: @Kentis said:
These guys that sign big extensions, should know by now that the last year or 2 of a deal when the guarantees are exhausted, are more or less funny money. Like it or not that’s the way they write those deals. I like Rudy & he’s a great guy & all, but he’s simply not worth top 5 TE money.
Rudy has pulled down $34,720,098 prior to this season, I hope he can get by on a slightly lower salary.
Hate to beat a dead horse but Treadwell has brought down something like $8.5 million in 3 years. Rudy's money seems like alot till you compare what was actually earned.